'24 O-Line

You make a good point, but in the end they still don't have an excuse. If anything you support my point even more if Iowa gets a competent OC and upgrade at QB. They definitely have to perform better.
Could not agree more. But, if McNamara does not recover and KF forces the new OC to continue to start Mount Deacon, I just don't know there is much the OL can do. 8 man fronts present one more guy than can be blocked. Without a competent QB, the OL is basically playing against a D that can sell out nearly every play.

Could not agree more. But, if McNamara does not recover and KF forces the new OC to continue to start Mount Deacon, I just don't know there is much the OL can do. 8 man fronts present one more guy than can be blocked. Without a competent QB, the OL is basically playing against a D that can sell out nearly every play.
There is no way in hell KF goes back to Deacon. He would go with a true freshman first. Come on. K F knows Hill is done at Iowa.

Unless we missed 5 years in a row, Lainez should be a good QB. I don't think Iowa should move on from him yet. He's obviously fast and has some running moves. He can see the running holes and lanes and knows when to take off. Better at that than anyone in a long time.

Marco's HS completion percentages were astronomical. I think his throwing will come around. We have a small sample. I don't see how Marco's throwing could be worse than Hill's.

There is no way in hell KF goes back to Deacon. He would go with a true freshman first. Come on. K F knows Hill is done at Iowa.
I wish I had your confidence in KF's QB judgment.

That said, he usually gets it right, eventually. I think KF could live with Hill's incompetence, but not his penchant for turning the ball over 3 times a game.

For me, I think KF has to remove the temptation to go with a guy that has multiple starts under his belt (if McNamara is not healthy, which is possible). He needs to push Hill to transfer and bring in a portal QB to compete with Lainnez. Hill should never take another snap again at Iowa, but I don't trust KF not to do that.

Fair point and agree.

Because Deke is clearly beyond hope and KF ain’t that dumb.
Man I want to agree with you on this part yet he still had Hill out there for how many games? 7 or 8 plus left him in the bowl game for 2 more quarters then he should've. So until he puts out a depth chart with Hill not on it or 4th I just can't assume he'll do anything different. Hill can't be #2 behind Cade no matter what the rest of the depth chart is.

Honestly Hill needs to take a hike but since he has nowhere to go we are stuck with him. He's just happy to be somewhere on a D1 scholly raking in whatever NIL he is. It's all gravy to him to just be here. But that doesn't entitle him to being high on the depth chart at all. Nice kid I like everything about him. He just sucks at playing QB.

Man I want to agree with you on this part yet he still had Hill out there for how many games? 7 or 8 plus left him in the bowl game for 2 more quarters then he should've. So until he puts out a depth chart with Hill not on it or 4th I just can't assume he'll do anything different. Hill can't be #2 behind Cade no matter what the rest of the depth chart is.

Honestly Hill needs to take a hike but since he has nowhere to go we are stuck with him. He's just happy to be somewhere on a D1 scholly raking in whatever NIL he is. It's all gravy to him to just be here. But that doesn't entitle him to being high on the depth chart at all. Nice kid I like everything about him. He just sucks at playing QB.
There was only a true freshman behind them. KF hasn't played a true freshman since the last century. That is as close to an actual rule as it gets for PT. I elsewhere saw that Lainez will pass Hill in spring ball. I agree.

Last edited:
There was only a true freshman behind them. KF hasn't played a true freshman since the last century. That is as close to an actual rule as it gets for PT. I elsewhere saw that Lainez will pass Hill in spring ball.
Yup totally get that too. But if they could develop QBs at all Labas shoulda been in instead of Hill. What they did was just a pretty wild way to run a program. When you look around the country you'll see true freshman getting thrown out there. I think KF is just so archaic. He wants guys (WRs too) to know the overly complicated playbook frontwards and backwards before they take a snap. (a playbook that they never hardly attacked a defense with that's mostly played within a phone booth but that's another topic for another thread)

Well if the freshman is 10x more skilled and able to play physically you cut down the playbook to what he can handle and master and go to work. Build him up gradually on the field in games not on the scout team.

How KF and BF went about attempting to develop QBs had been laughably terrible. Petras and Hill the last 3 yrs or so have played some really pitiful football. Now I say that and you watch Petras will go to Utah St and just air it out and set records... :rolleyes:

Yup totally get that too. But if they could develop QBs at all Labas shoulda been in instead of Hill. What they did was just a pretty wild way to run a program. When you look around the country you'll see true freshman getting thrown out there. I think KF is just so archaic. He wants guys (WRs too) to know the overly complicated playbook frontwards and backwards before they take a snap. (a playbook that they never hardly attacked a defense with that's mostly played within a phone booth but that's another topic for another thread)

Well if the freshman is 10x more skilled and able to play physically you cut down the playbook to what he can handle and master and go to work. Build him up gradually on the field in games not on the scout team.

How KF and BF went about attempting to develop QBs had been laughably terrible. Petras and Hill the last 3 yrs or so have played some really pitiful football. Now I say that and you watch Petras will go to Utah St and just air it out and set records... :rolleyes:

I have said it before, but I hope the OC hire comes from an extensive college FB background, I don't want an NFL castoff. Our offensive players seem to do too much thinking, not enough playing. Let's get a system that lets talented freshmen step in right away.

I wish I had your confidence in KF's QB judgment.

That said, he usually gets it right, eventually. I think KF could live with Hill's incompetence, but not his penchant for turning the ball over 3 times a game.

For me, I think KF has to remove the temptation to go with a guy that has multiple starts under his belt (if McNamara is not healthy, which is possible). He needs to push Hill to transfer and bring in a portal QB to compete with Lainnez. Hill should never take another snap again at Iowa, but I don't trust KF not to do that.
Eventually is often too late.

Latest posts