2020 Recruiting Class - Ratings Bump

NikeHawk21

Interesting note. 247 just updated their ranking and Ulis, Perkins, and the Murray’s (as noted in another thread), all received ranking bumps. If you look at Iowa’s all time commits Ulis is now 11th (right behind Garza), and Perkins/Murray’s round out the top 25 at 23, 24, and 25.

It’s looking more and more like Fran might have found some late bloomers here.

Also as I’ve mentioned before, we really don’t need a lot out of these guys next year. A couple likely redshirt but they should all be able to work on their craft and battle against some really good players every day in practice. Future looks bright IMO.

As another reference point, those four guys all rank higher than Toussaint did last year, and he’s looking like a recruiting hit at this point.
Is JO the lowest ranked player of the bunch now? I'm also surprised Ulis is higher than Perkins.

Is JO the lowest ranked player of the bunch now? I'm also surprised Ulis is higher than Perkins.
Yes Ogundele is the lowest rated. He had some injuries this year that slowed him down.

Perkins had an awesome year, he was on a super good team with a ton of talent around him. Ulis also tore it up including leading his team to a playoff win over powerhouse Bloom, who has like 5 P6 players on their team.

Perkins is damn athletic but he’s undersized for a 2 guard. He’s listed at 6’4 but I’ve seen things that say he’s only 6’2, and although his shot improved I think he only shot like 30% from three.

To me, Ulis is a much more projectable player at the next level.

Yes Ogundele is the lowest rated. He had some injuries this year that slowed him down.

Perkins had an awesome year, he was on a super good team with a ton of talent around him. Ulis also tore it up including leading his team to a playoff win over powerhouse Bloom, who has like 5 P6 players on their team.

Perkins is damn athletic but he’s undersized for a 2 guard. He’s listed at 6’4 but I’ve seen things that say he’s only 6’2, and although his shot improved I think he only shot like 30% from three.

To me, Ulis is a much more projectable player at the next level.
Perkins I was hoping might be a more athletic version of what Anthony Clemmons was. Combo guard that can guard the other teams best ball handler. Get to the rim draw fouls and hopefully get a respectable outside game to go with it.

Perkins I was hoping might be a more athletic version of what Anthony Clemmons was. Combo guard that can guard the other teams best ball handler. Get to the rim draw fouls and hopefully get a respectable outside game to go with it.
I don’t think that’s a bad comparison, only difference is Clemmons was a PG by trade, and Perkins is not a PG.

I don’t think that’s a bad comparison, only difference is Clemmons was a PG by trade, and Perkins is not a PG.
Yeah he's not a ball handler so much it doesn't seem. Time will tell I suppose. He's an athletic dude that had a hell of a senior year. If he'd have played like that his JR yr he'd have been a much tougher get I bet.

We will likely be starting 2 point guards with a 3rd point guard who started last year coming off the bench. I could see a need for some depth from one of these guys at the 2. Having a defensive stopper like Perkins come off the bench and pair with Joe T. would make for a formidable back court defensive combo.

We will likely be starting 2 point guards with a 3rd point guard who started last year coming off the bench. I could see a need for some depth from one of these guys at the 2. Having a defensive stopper like Perkins come off the bench and pair with Joe T. would make for a formidable back court defensive combo.
I don’t think Connor plays much PG from this point forward, quite frankly I don’t think he did much last year after the first 5 or 6 games.

I agree and I disagree about Connor. Was he the primary point on offense most of the season? No. But he often brought the ball up the court and he often directed the offense. He is like a second PG. But, let's face it, Connor was one of our best 5 players all season and he played wherever triage demanded he play, which was impressive.

I also agree that he likely stays more in the 3-4 role this year with JBO coming back.

My broader point was that we have 2 point guards, both with significant starting experience in the conference, returning, plus the coach's son who has played PG his whole life, including at Iowa. Given those facts, it would seem like the incoming natural PG -- Uhlis -- would be a very logical candidate for a shirt.

Really? I thought his season stats were pretty impressive, as was his improvement.
Yeah in a high pressure situation late in a game either trailing or trying to maintain a lead I had 100x more confidence having Connor bring the ball up the court than JT or anyone else

Iowa's second unit will be impressive. Fran can put a real good defensive team out their if he needs to press and play catch-up. If Patrick is healthy enough to play the point of the press and we know how fast Joe T is, add a talented freshman and rim protector, Fran can really mix and match. Starters should be able to go 100% at all times.

That's bad ass. Pretty much guarantees Ulis will be 2 players better than the best player in college by his junior year.
In all seriousness, remember when Fran couldn't recruit guards? With Joe T and Fredrick looking like they should have solid careers and a 4* PG/Combo coming in, it’s possible we are a guard oriented team in a couple years. Who knows, then we will probably be complaining that Fran has no great big guys.

In all seriousness, remember when Fran couldn't recruit guards? With Joe T and Fredrick looking like they should have solid careers and a 4* PG/Combo coming in, it’s possible we are a guard oriented team in a couple years. Who knows, then we will probably be complaining that Fran has no great big guys.

To be fair, other than Garza and Cook, the strength of Fran teams has always been the tweener 3/4 man (White, Uthoff) or wing player (Jok, Marble, Gatens) we have had serviceable PGs and Centers.

You can play small ball with only one big on the floor. Its tough to play with two back to the basket players on the floor at the same time in today's game. One of the 2 bigs has to be able to step out and consistently make a 3 to make the 2 big lineup work to win games.

All that being said, I'd prefer to have more guards or wings than bigs.

Glad Uhlis is now a 4 star by Rivals, but what would have caused him to jump up that much, since nobody has played team basketball for 2 1/2 months?

Latest posts