2019 IHSAA Basketball Tourney

SidFarkas

Average weight of bench officials 340lbs with an average board age of 87. But I digress...

Cedar Falls looked good. Campbell is a great athlete. Wolf as well. Not sure how Sioux City East lost one game - they were awful.

North Scott beats Ames. Lancers well coached and a good team. Lipsey for Ames as D1 - ask me in two years - tonight meh.

Xavier Foster is 7 foot tall and athletic. Fingers crossed for the Hawks. Henry also is very good.

All I got for now...

Campbell and Wolf both looked good the night I saw them beat Iowa City West in a close contest.

North Scott should be a regular on the scene for a while. They got a good bunch coming that are currently in eighth grade.

Waukee 48 Dowling 35 F
If ever a game showed the need for a 30 second clock...good gawd.
Also, heard about the 3 Waukee players that Bain indicated were D1 athletes - no frickin way. I think two were scoreless.

Next up PMAC vs Senior

As someone who's always preferred college ball (primarily D1 and Juco) over HS ball, I've always been a fan of the shot clock.

The two large class schools should absolutely go to shot clock. They’d have the $$ to do this.

Average weight of bench officials 340lbs with an average board age of 87. But I digress...

Cedar Falls looked good. Campbell is a great athlete. Wolf as well. Not sure how Sioux City East lost one game - they were awful.

North Scott beats Ames. Lancers well coached and a good team. Lipsey for Ames as D1 - ask me in two years - tonight meh.

Xavier Foster is 7 foot tall and athletic. Fingers crossed for the Hawks. Henry also is very good.

All I got for now...
North Scott is a well coached basketball team.

Dubuque Senior 39 IC West 36
Did I mention the need for a shot clock.
Senior took 1:20 off the clock out front to start the 4th.
It’s enough to make your eyes bleed.
Absolutely, couldn't agree more. Shot clock is a must. It's one of the big reasons why the Iowa high school basketball talent pool is so shallow. It hinders development.

Grand view Baptist 59 Montezuma 36
Sammake kid will be a nice addition to Drake. Shot blocker and rim rocker at 6’7.
Grand view has recruited well.
More athletes than any 4A team that I’ve seen.

Grand view Baptist 59 Montezuma 36
Sammake kid will be a nice addition to Drake. Shot blocker and rim rocker at 6’7.
Grand view has recruited well.
More athletes than any 4A team that I’ve seen.
Montezuma doesn't have the size to play with GV. I knew that was going to be an ugly game. Which is too bad because Trey is a nice kid. Hard worker. He gets it.

The two large class schools should absolutely go to shot clock. They’d have the $$ to do this.
Have a friend who teaches in SD in a town of 6,000 or so. He told me when they added it they paid right at $2,500 for two goal-mounted clocks and the controller from Daktronics. Their school district maintenance guy was able to do the wiring which also saved a little money.

They pay $30 a game to the person running it. Which makes my $120 for umping a JV/V game look stupid.

Have a friend who teaches in SD in a town of 6,000 or so. He told me when they added it they paid right at $2,500 for two goal-mounted clocks and the controller from Daktronics. Their school district maintenance guy was able to do the wiring which also saved a little money.

They pay $30 a game to the person running it. Which makes my $120 for umping a JV/V game look stupid.
Why the hell would you have to pay someone to run it? Everyone else at the scorers table is a volunteer/school employee.

Alburnett nips Remsen St Mary’s at the buzzer with a put back. Remsen folks were pissed off.

Won’t matter as Alburnett will get curb stomped by GVW.

Someone else will have to take the night shift.
Hillmer kid should win Mr Basketball imho.

Connor Hill from South Hamilton is balling. 20 pts in the first half against Boyden-Hull. 28-28 at the half.

Why the hell would you have to pay someone to run it? Everyone else at the scorers table is a volunteer/school employee.
It’s standard about everywhere I’ve heard of.

To me it’s a little like officiating, you can’t really just have any dork running it. The game clock is pretty simple and you’re going off of indications from refs, the shot clock you’re actually affecting game play yourself. You have to have a pretty good understanding of the game number one, and number two you have to pay attention for a couple hours straight. There’s no spacing off.

I know I wouldn’t do it for free.

It’s standard about everywhere I’ve heard of.

To me it’s a little like officiating, you can’t really just have any dork running it. The game clock is pretty simple and you’re going off of indications from refs, the shot clock you’re actually affecting game play yourself. You have to have a pretty good understanding of the game number one, and number two you have to pay attention for a couple hours straight. There’s no spacing off.

I know I wouldn’t do it for free.
Fair enough.

Here’s the shot clock duties list for SD

LINK

There’s a hell of a lot there, and I wouldn’t want just any mouth breather running it. If you paid $30 a game for, say, 10 boys and 10 girls home games that’s only $600 a year.

In our conference refs get $100 a night (JV/V) times 2.