2018 schedule 7-5

Not sure if ever been mentioned, but I believe we F'ed up the Purdue game by not taking the wind in Q1 which would have also given it to us in Q3. We needed momentum out of the gate.

Westender, please go back to the nite and some days after the Purdue loss to read my scathing review of Kirk's decision making and bad strategy in that game. It is not that we should have not taken the wind in that game but we won the toss and we should have deferred the choice. Purdue would have most likely then had to say they would receive the ball to start the game and the hawks would have taken the wind. Remember the hawk defense pretty much smothered the purdue offense the whole first half so with Purdue going into the wind the hawks probably stop their first drive and start in great field position (all this opposite of the way the first half actually went).

I think enough people inside and around the program let Kirk know he screwed the pooch on that decision because the next week at Nebby, another 25-30 mph wind, hawks win the toss but Kirk defers to the 2nd half. Blowout.

Westender, please go back to the nite and some days after the Purdue loss to read my scathing review of Kirk's decision making and bad strategy in that game. It is not that we should have not taken the wind in that game but we won the toss and we should have deferred the choice. Purdue would have most likely then had to say they would receive the ball to start the game and the hawks would have taken the wind. Remember the hawk defense pretty much smothered the purdue offense the whole first half so with Purdue going into the wind the hawks probably stop their first drive and start in great field position (all this opposite of the way the first half actually went).

I think enough people inside and around the program let Kirk know he screwed the pooch on that decision because the next week at Nebby, another 25-30 mph wind, hawks win the toss but Kirk defers to the 2nd half. Blowout.

There are games at Kinnick I can tell you that maybe into the first quarter or even second quarter you can just tell the crowd is flat and the team is flat and that Purdue game was definitely one of those also. It was like trying to get excited about playing North Texas. Yes the players should be up to play anyone and maybe they were but that game just seemed like the energy wasn't there.

I've never understood the "can't get up for a game" thing. You're 18-22 years old...only get 12 games a year (less than that at home). Every one counts.

162 games in MLB or 82 NBA games...yeah, I can see getting flat.

I've never understood the "can't get up for a game" thing. You're 18-22 years old...only get 12 games a year (less than that at home). Every one counts.

Remember, these are student athletes. They recruit high character kids occasionally to their detriment. James Vandenberg was in my Organic Chemsitry class. He got sick midseason 2011 around the time of midterms when we were all getting slaughtered in that class studying our butts off. That next week we lost to Minnesota and the wheels came off during a brutal 4 game stretch to close the year.

Say what you will about it being the coaches fault for letting them take difficult coursework in season and other coaches getting it done, but there are sometimes very legitimate reasons why they "can't get up for a game".

That's why every team needs a couple vocal leaders on both sides of the ball. We have had some teams that had leaders by example, but I think teams need leaders by example and voice.

I'm going to make a crazy insane prediction and say the amount of games Iowa wins depends on the same things it always does. Injuries, turnover margin, 3rd down conversion % .

I'm going to make a crazy insane prediction and say the amount of games Iowa wins depends on the same things it always does. Injuries, turnover margin, 3rd down conversion % .

That's simple. Limit the number of third downs.
Attack!!
"Perfection is not attainable, but if we chase perfection we can catch excellence."

This may be all true, but lets not forget that at the end of the year, Purdue was playing decent football. Nebraska, on the other hand had quit.

I did not realize this until now, but there is a strange pattern of home and away games in 2018.

First 4 games at home.

Then only 1 home game in 6 weeks.

Then 2 home and 1 away the last 3 weeks in November.

The B1G seems to be incapable of figuring out how to sensibly set a schedule for the majority of the major team sports.

It's pretty pathetic, actually.

Last edited:
7-5. No passing game again, same head coach, same offensive coordinator. Lost the one and only playmaker we had on offense, Stanley is a statue that cannot run, lost Daniels. Starting 3 new linebackers, and have to replace Jackson on defense. Very easy schedule, but we won't be able to take advantage of it.
Again? Didn't Stanley almost break the record for TD's this last season?

Fascinating that everyone seems to pick Iowa to be somewhere around 5-4 or 4-5 in the B10.
How is that acceptable (again, and more often than not the B10 record)?
Could we aspire to higher levels of achievement?

Again? Didn't Stanley almost break the record for TD's this last season?
I don't know how someone can call nearly 200 ypg and 26 passing TDs "no passing game". We DO need more production out of the WRs and it DOES put us in a box when the running game is hampered, but the passing game was unquestionably improved last season.

I don't know how someone can call nearly 200 ypg and 26 passing TDs "no passing game". We DO need more production out of the WRs and it DOES put us in a box when the running game is hampered, but the passing game was unquestionably improved last season.
Just need to utilize our baddass tight ends if our receivers are struggling and continue to connect on the long balls like we did toward the end of the season - not struggle like we did for the first half of the season.

The B1G seems to be incapable of figuring out how to sensibly set a schedule for the majority of the major team sports.

It's pretty pathetic, actually.

We have 4 B1G home games.......Do you understand how math works???????????

Home, Away, Away, Home, Away, Away, Home, Away, Home

That's actually the best you can even split that type of schedule. Or you end up with a dumb idea of 2 homes in a row with 3 away games in a row.

We have 4 B1G home games.......Do you understand how math works???????????

Home, Away, Away, Home, Away, Away, Home, Away, Home

That's actually the best you can even split that type of schedule. Or you end up with a dumb idea of 2 homes in a row with 3 away games in a row.

Don't be a jack***.

Wouldn't it be nice if you were able to split games with your 2 biggest divisional rivals, play one at home every year and one away instead of either having both at home or on the road? Not only for fairness in scheduling, but for the viewing pleasure of the fans.

There are certain cross division teams that we have played almost every year since we've been in the B1G, yet others that we have almost never played.

Men's basketball and baseball, it's almost as if they are picking teams out of a hat.

The basketball is schizo, we had only 1 conference Saturday home game this year. There is not rhyme or reason why we play certain games twice in a year, others only once. Sometimes having travel to certain locations more than the other teams have to reciprocate. Let's not even talk about the dumbassery that was this years' conference schedule with holding the tourney a week early just so it could be played in MSG.

Baseball-- again, certain teams we play almost every year, others we rarely play. I believe that there is only 7 or 8 conference series throughout the year, and there needs to be more. Northern baseball teams normally play a lot of games early in the year in the South. There is no reason why conference series can't be played at a neutral Southern site.