2018 PTL

I know in the mid to late 90's Randy Larson had to dial some things back. Rumors were that the league was becoming too "urban" . Read into that what you will. I am just a knucklehead fan so I have no idea if that is accurate or not.
Well the last thing they want is any fights breaking out... I seem to remember some scuffles years ago. They never amounted to anything but they sure could have...

I think we should get Lavar Ball to promote the PTL. He can sell shoes in the lobby...pay former college players to play each week...that would spruce this thing up and provide some competition. I was at an AAU league tournament in LA a few weeks ago...and Ball was there. He walks around like he's a King or something, and fathers of the high school players come up to kiss the ring. It made me sick. I wanted to go over and tell them to get their kids into college and shine that tool's league idea.

I think we should get Lavar Ball to promote the PTL. He can sell shoes in the lobby...pay former college players to play each week...that would spruce this thing up and provide some competition. I was at an AAU league tournament in LA a few weeks ago...and Ball was there. He walks around like he's a King or something, and fathers of the high school players come up to kiss the ring. It made me sick. I wanted to go over and tell them to get their kids into college and shine that tool's league idea.
Sounds like it might be the only 'game' he can get his kids into since he's bringing them back over here. I heard the NBA wasn't inviting his middle kid to the combine. And why would they? The guy is either delusional or a just a mad genious of some kind that's came up with this 'personality' What was the guy like 3 yrs ago? 5 yrs ago? There's no way he's functioned this long in life that way. I'd just be curious to know what he's really like from people that have been around him for years

Cook has until June 11th to officially return to Iowa so he might not even get drafted in the PTL.

To me, the attraction of the PTL has always been giving the fans a chance to see the incoming freshmen. This year we have Wieskamp and, I assume Fredrick and a healthy Connor. My memory isn't what it used to be, but I can't really remember any PTL season that included any then Iowa player that showed so much improvement it wowed the crowd.

In any event, these guys are going to be playing basketball anyway. Might as well give them some structured games before some fans.

One thing to keep in mind as well is that the Iowa players work out on their own during the summer. The split up teams and run full court in a much more competitive setting than happens at the PTL just about every day.

I think it's great for fans to get to see these guys up close but the basketball does little to nothing to improve their games.

The GTL folded and the women's team will be fine without it.

It would be great to bring former players in for a week to play the current team. Marble, Uthoff, Gesell, White, SAP, Basabe. That would do more for them than the PTL.

Hopefully, after all the weights they have been lifting, they will look bigger, stronger, and faster than last year.

The talent level of the league has gone down significantly the last few years. I think some of that is that some of the recent grads are playing professionally and don't want to risk their livelihood by getting injured in a summer pickup league that people don't take seriously. I think that's partially due to a growth in the number informer iowa players that have the opportunity to play in the G League or overseas. But if people getting paid to play someplace aren't willing to take that risk then why should current players be taking that risk.

Another thing that hurts the overall talent in the league is that incoming recruits now count towards the max players from a single school.

I like getting an early look at the incoming recruits but other than that the league is a joke and needs to go away.

I’d miss the PTL, I always enjoy watching the highlights and reading up on the stats even if they don’t mean much. I think hearing about the incoming freshman is probably the most intriguing.

Rob already mentioned it but they are doing other things basketball. I’m sure they have things they are working on individually and this is a chance to try them in a game format.

Wagner was shooting 3s last year. If Cook plays, he’ll be probably be working more on the mid range game.

The talent level has declined. Throughout the years, there were ex Hawkeyes like Duez Henderson, etc. or pros looking for competition that played. Now there are more high school players than ever before.

Other than the players from Iowa and UNI, the talent level is as low as it's ever been. And NCAA rules allow for only two or three players from a given DI program to play in the same summer league team, so those guys are all spread out.

I remember by first year covering it was 1998. Brad Lohaus and Acie Earl were among the guys running in the league. Those days have long passed. It's bad hoops.

I would be ok with PTL IF there wasn't also (seemingly) an overseas tour every year, but lately it seems the Hawks have a tour each summer. I still maintain some of those seasons from 2014-2016 where we saw end-of-season swoons was due, at least in part, to fatigue. The season becomes year 'round.

It's one thing to have light/low-intensity off-season scrimmages and conditioning. It's another to be in a full-team. full-scale competition environment from July to March.

I would send all incoming and current Iowa players to a "how to play defense" camp...PTL won't solve softness of Iowa...make it worse.

I would send all incoming and current Iowa players to a "how to play defense" camp...PTL won't solve softness of Iowa...make it worse.

You realize how much it would cost to make all the scholly players "better" at defense at a camp that would probably cost a bit of cash? I'd think it might just be cheaper to stick with the overseas tours :)