2018 PTL

tksirius

HN's Love Doctor

JesusBaptismX350.jpg

If Cook returns I don’t want him to play in the PTL. I wouldn’t let Bohannon play in the league either. I just don’t see either of them benefiting from playing in that league.

If Cook returns I don’t want him to play in the PTL. I wouldn’t let Bohannon play in the league either. I just don’t see either of them benefiting from playing in that league.

i think jbo would benefit from NOT play pg and just sg. but, it is PTL, so there's no real organization, so you're probably right. and you don't want to risk an ankle or knee with jbo.

I know he's a couple of inches shorter, and they may not even play the same position, but it does seem Wieskamp is going to be a better version of Uthoff, and not by a small margin. And JU was pretty good btw.

The level of basketball in this league has been declining throughout the last five years. There used to be former Hawkeyes playing but that has pretty much gone away. Now it's filled with rec league guys and high school kids when they're not playing AAU. After last year, when the play was at an all-time low, I thought it might go away.

The level of basketball in this league has been declining throughout the last five years. There used to be former Hawkeyes playing but that has pretty much gone away. Now it's filled with rec league guys and high school kids when they're not playing AAU. After last year, when the play was at an all-time low, I thought it might go away.
So you’re saying I have a chance?

That's too bad. I remember watching Brody Boyd in there lighting it up back in the day. It's a fun atmosphere for fans to be right up there like that. But if the play is so bad and no D whatsoever maybe they should just let it go...

The level of play may have declined but the guys still get to get their shots up and get a good sweat up.
Their should be a certain level of intensity to it though. Nobody would throw together a league of 8th graders and 5th graders playing against each other right? Not that that's a great comparison but you get my drift. Even if your just doing it for the exercise and muscle memory of it I can't see it being worth doing. The risk of injury is there and I'd rather there be some intensity and competitiveness to it. Without that it's just guys taking turns jacking shots up

If I was Fran, I'd pull the guys out of that league. We don't need the guys playing in a summer league where defense is optional when they should be spending that time working on their defense. Just my $.02 worth....

Nothing says they couldn't work on their individual defense in the PTL. They'd probably stick out like a sore thumb though.

I know he's a couple of inches shorter, and they may not even play the same position, but it does seem Wieskamp is going to be a better version of Uthoff, and not by a small margin. And JU was pretty good btw.

They say Weiskamp might be the first player taken in the draft.

Why is that? I can speculate, but I rather have someone in tune with that world(like yourself among others) give me an answer.

If I was Fran, I'd pull the guys out of that league. We don't need the guys playing in a summer league where defense is optional when they should be spending that time working on their defense. Just my $.02 worth....

It is equivalent to any Summer League game across the country ........who cares if anyone is playing defense.

I think guys can form bad habits in this league especially on defense, blocking out and ball security. All things that hurt our team last year. The bad habits are formed because they can skate buy on their talent alone in this league and everyone wants to look “cool.”

Another possible downfall to me is the whole hoopla around the PTL. They do a draft, they get postgame interviews, highlight videos, stats leaders, and it feeds into their social media lifestyles. Players can get big heads. I remember last season when Kriener and JBo were bitching about being picked to be bottom half of the B1G. I thought oh boy if this is what they are worried about not a good sign. Then they go out to the caymans and get punched in the mouth by some very below average D1 teams. Now it goes from everyone telling you how great you are to how much you suck. Didn’t seem they could handle it last year.

Injuries would be another concern.

I think guys can form bad habits in this league especially on defense, blocking out and ball security. All things that hurt our team last year. The bad habits are formed because they can skate buy on their talent alone in this league and everyone wants to look “cool.”

Another possible downfall to me is the whole hoopla around the PTL. They do a draft, they get postgame interviews, highlight videos, stats leaders, and it feeds into their social media lifestyles. Players can get big heads. I remember last season when Kriener and JBo were bitching about being picked to be bottom half of the B1G. I thought oh boy if this is what they are worried about not a good sign. Then they go out to the caymans and get punched in the mouth by some very below average D1 teams. Now it goes from everyone telling you how great you are to how much you suck. Didn’t seem they could handle it last year.

Injuries would be another concern.

I know in the mid to late 90's Randy Larson had to dial some things back. Rumors were that the league was becoming too "urban" . Read into that what you will. I am just a knucklehead fan so I have no idea if that is accurate or not.

Why is that? I can speculate, but I rather have someone in tune with that world(like yourself among others) give me an answer.

The talent level has declined. Throughout the years, there were ex Hawkeyes like Duez Henderson, etc. or pros looking for competition that played. Now there are more high school players than ever before.

Other than the players from Iowa and UNI, the talent level is as low as it's ever been. And NCAA rules allow for only two or three players from a given DI program to play in the same summer league team, so those guys are all spread out.

I remember by first year covering it was 1998. Brad Lohaus and Acie Earl were among the guys running in the league. Those days have long passed. It's bad hoops.