2018-2019 Player Rankings

NikeHawk21

The roster appears set for 2018-2019 barring anything surprising. Rank the players from top to bottom in terms of what you think they will be on next years team. Not by what they have done.

1- Cook (2nd All conference is his floor)

2- Garza (played great last 10 games)

3- Weiskamp (Top 50 recruit. Athletic and long with a great shooting stroke. Hoping defense is solid)

4- JBo (Need any sort of defensive improvement. Maybe the foot was more of an issue than we know)

5- Nunge (I expect him to be our best defender if used correctly)

6- Moss (Consistency! I would like to see him drive more)

7- Dailey (I could see him passing Moss actually)

8- Baer (hopefully back to “6th man” and gets his fire and jump shot back)

I think those 8 should get the majority of the minutes.

9-12. Cmac, Kriener, Pemsl, Frederick in no particular order. Would RS Frederick. Cmac I think gets some minutes at PG if he PROVES he’s better than Dailey at that spot. Kriener and Pemsl will get some minutes with foul trouble but right now I have them behind Cook, Garza, Nunge, and Baer so their minutes should be very limited. They can play and have experience at this level which is a plus.

Going to be interesting to see how everything pans out.....

I have a feeling that Connor will do very well moving the ball quickly. He did a good job last season while playing at about 50%.....

:cool:

The roster appears set for 2018-2019 barring anything surprising. Rank the players from top to bottom in terms of what you think they will be on next years team. Not by what they have done.

3- Weiskamp (Top 50 recruit. Athletic and long with a great shooting stroke. Hoping defense is solid)

4- JBo (Need any sort of defensive improvement. Maybe the foot was more of an issue than we know)

9-12. Cmac, Kriener, Pemsl, Frederick in no particular order. Would RS Frederick. Cmac I think gets some minutes at PG if he PROVES he’s better than Dailey at that spot. Kriener and Pemsl will get some minutes with foul trouble but right now I have them behind Cook, Garza, Nunge, and Baer so their minutes should be very limited. They can play and have experience at this level which is a plus.
I don't have too much disagreement with this, but I got a sneaky feeling that CMac might surprise us. I keep thinking that he wasn't near 100% when he did play, so I'm curious to see him fully healthy. This goes in line with my thoughts about Fran not being as concerned about landing a PG recruit in the '19 class, cuz he thinks Connor is going to shine. I guess we'll find out...

I don't have too much disagreement with this, but I got a sneaky feeling that CMac might surprise us. I keep thinking that he wasn't near 100% when he did play, so I'm curious to see him fully healthy. This goes in line with my thoughts about Fran not being as concerned about landing a PG recruit in the '19 class, cuz he thinks Connor is going to shine. I guess we'll find out...
I should clarify that I don't think Connor is gonna be all conference or anything, but I do think he has a higher ceiling than his brother.

Compared to you my expectations for Wieskamp, Baer and Nunge are lower, and my expectations for Kriener, C-mac and Moss are higher.

I think Wieskamp eventually starts as a freshman, but still only gets around 15-20 minutes a game. By the end of the year I think he'll be a 20 minute, 10 point, 4 rebound kid. I think with Bohannon, Moss, Cook and Garza all returning...those guys are going to take a lot of shots.

I should clarify that I don't think Connor is gonna be all conference or anything, but I do think he has a higher ceiling than his brother.
I’m going to go as far as predict that Pat doesn’t ever start a game and plays less than Baer did/does. He just doesn’t have the frame to play P6 basketball. He’s not a defensive player and he’s going to get tossed around like a wet noodle.

Hell, if their defense improves by 10%...to around 70 a game...they are going to be a tough team to beat. It's going to take some effort to keep this team under 70 points. I have to think all these guys back can find more stops in crunch time. It will be interesting to see how much stronger Nunge and Garza get. We have length...can we play more physical and not give up easy baskets. It was frustrating to watch all the defensive breakdowns that gave up dunks and bunnies. Penetration and poor rotations were the norm.

Compared to you my expectations for Wieskamp, Baer and Nunge are lower, and my expectations for Kriener, C-mac and Moss are higher.

I think Wieskamp eventually starts as a freshman, but still only gets around 15-20 minutes a game. By the end of the year I think he'll be a 20 minute, 10 point, 4 rebound kid. I think with Bohannon, Moss, Cook and Garza all returning...those guys are going to take a lot of shots.
Everyone has their own opinions, which is fine. For argument sake I would say:

Weiskamp is the best recruit we’ve gotten in the Fran era. Look at the success Cook had as a freshman. It’s interesting to me that people have relatively low expectations for him. A top 50 kid coming into one of the worst teams in the league should be expected to be one of the top guys.

Second, to me I think Kriener is basically at his potential basketball wise, I don’t see a lot of room for growth. Nunge on the other hand has two inches on Kriener, better feet, a better jump shot (in terms of form and elevation), and is a better ball handler. Kriener has good post moves, a decent mid range shot, and is an good passer, but on a nightly basis he is at a disadvantage athletically compared to his opponent. Again I’m projecting where they will be next fall and winter. I think Nunge, who was already above Kriener last year widens the gap even more.

In regards to Moss he’s now in year 4. If he didn’t take the leap forward we wanted him to last year I just don’t know that it’s coming this year. Sure he has some offensive talent but he just doesn’t have that mentality and consistency you need.

Connor is just a guessing game at this point.

Weiskamp is the best recruit we’ve gotten in the Fran era. Look at the success Cook had as a freshman. It’s interesting to me that people have relatively low expectations for him. A top 50 kid coming into one of the worst teams in the league should be expected to be one of the top guys.

Second, to me I think Kriener is basically at his potential basketball wise, I don’t see a lot of room for growth. Nunge on the other hand has two inches on Kriener, better feet, a better jump shot (in terms of form and elevation), and is a better ball handler. Kriener has good post moves, a decent mid range shot, and is an good passer, but on a nightly basis he is at a disadvantage athletically compared to his opponent. Again I’m projecting where they will be next fall and winter. I think Nunge, who was already above Kriener last year widens the gap even more.

In regards to Moss he’s now in year 4. If he didn’t take the leap forward we wanted him to last year I just don’t know that it’s coming this year. Sure he has some offensive talent but he just doesn’t have that mentality and consistency you need.

I am not down on Wieskamp at all, I think he's going to be a stud. However, Freshmen very rarely excel in the big ten. The big ten freshman of the year last year was Jaren Jackson from Michigan State. He averaged 11 points and 6 rebounds a game.

Other players on last years all freshman team?

Kaleb Wesson - 10 points, 5 rebounds
Brad Davidson - 12 points, 2 rebounds, 2.5 assists
Trent Frazier - 12.5 points, 2 rebounds, 3 assists
Bruno Fernando - 10 points, 2.5 rebounds, 1 block

Cook averaged 12 points and 5 rebounds as a freshman on a depleted team. Iowa returned Peter Jok and that was it. So Cook was relied on heavily. Wieskamp won't be under that pressure at all, he will be an important piece, but not required to carry a team like Tyler was

My point is that expecting Wiestkamp to come right in and average 17 points and 8 rebounds a game is not in the least bit realistic...and I think people need to prepare themselves for that.

Yeah it is interesting. Most of the time we (crazy internet fans) hype up recruits to the point of thinking a kid like him would be a 1 and done. But most seem to have tempered that with him from what I've read anyway. To me nothing would surprise me too much. If he begins the year as the 6th man with either Baer or Nunge starting at the 3 instead it wouldn't shock me. If Weiskamp starts day 1 that wouldn't shock me much either. It'd be big time awesome if he were to be starting/playing big mins and putting up 10 plus pts a game and helping spread the floor.

Your take on Kriener is kinda how I feel about Pemsl. I think he's got a low ceiling and has already reached it. Kriener has some skills as you mentioned I think he's more effective in short bursts of time out there on the floor. It's like after a certain amount of it he loses his effectiveness. I still like him and think he'll have a role to play and would like to see more of him rather than Pemsl backing up Cook.

Moss on the other hand I think can improve his consistency. Can't say I base it on anything other than hope but I'm not writing him off.

I am not down on Wieskamp at all, I think he's going to be a stud. However, Freshmen very rarely excel in the big ten. The big ten freshman of the year last year was Jaren Jackson from Michigan State. He averaged 11 points and 6 rebounds a game.

Other players on last years all freshman team?

Kaleb Wesson - 10 points, 5 rebounds
Brad Davidson - 12 points, 2 rebounds, 2.5 assists
Trent Frazier - 12.5 points, 2 rebounds, 3 assists
Bruno Fernando - 10 points, 2.5 rebounds, 1 block

Cook averaged 12 points and 5 rebounds as a freshman on a depleted team. Iowa returned Peter Jok and that was it. So Cook was relied on heavily. Wieskamp won't be under that pressure at all, he will be an important piece, but not required to carry a team like Tyler was

My point is that expecting Wiestkamp to come right in and average 17 points and 8 rebounds a game is not in the least bit realistic...and I think people need to prepare themselves for that.
Okay. We aren’t that far off on Joe then. I’m thinking between 10-12ppg for him but will start every game. That doesn’t mean he can’t be one of top players though, just as expecting Moss to be around 10-12ppg again this year doesn’t mean I think he’s top 5 guy either for instance. You see we scored a ton of points last year, and will probably score a bunch more this year, but we still sucked last year and who knows how we will be this year. Tons of ways to effect the game.

For reference, Weiskamp is rated higher than all those guys you listed except Jackson, who was also near tops in the country in block shots so his impact was huge.

Yeah it is interesting. Most of the time we (crazy internet fans) hype up recruits to the point of thinking a kid like him would be a 1 and done. But most seem to have tempered that with him from what I've read anyway. To me nothing would surprise me too much. If he begins the year as the 6th man with either Baer or Nunge starting at the 3 instead it wouldn't shock me. If Weiskamp starts day 1 that wouldn't shock me much either. It'd be big time awesome if he were to be starting/playing big mins and putting up 10 plus pts a game and helping spread the floor.

Your take on Kriener is kinda how I feel about Pemsl. I think he's got a low ceiling and has already reached it. Kriener has some skills as you mentioned I think he's more effective in short bursts of time out there on the floor. It's like after a certain amount of it he loses his effectiveness. I still like him and think he'll have a role to play and would like to see more of him rather than Pemsl backing up Cook.

Moss on the other hand I think can improve his consistency. Can't say I base it on anything other than hope but I'm not writing him off.
All good points. Some people around here, including myself were saying that about Pemsl prior to last season. For some players that’s just the truth of it, and I do think Kriener is at that point to an extent.

I’m not writing Moss off either, I just think what you see is what you get which isn’t a bad thing. He averaged double figures last year and can shoot the ball at a high level. Hopefully he locks in defensively a little more this year.

I’m going to go as far as predict that Pat doesn’t ever start a game and plays less than Baer did/does. He just doesn’t have the frame to play P6 basketball. He’s not a defensive player and he’s going to get tossed around like a wet noodle.

You forgot his biggest attrubute. His mom is married to the coach.

Cook
J Bo
W
Moss
Garza

Beyond that is the problem coupled with JBo D Cook D

Garza lack of hops or quickness

Moss inconsistent.

Probably only one well rounded player that is a Frosh. Long year except for bad con5ference.

Team is deep in lack of well rounded Big types. Playing time is an issue. Who to play is bigger than who not...

Kriener plays pissed off, which is worth a lot on a snooze-fest team like this with negative 10 defense. He’s kind of a Bill Laimbeer who will chase someone all the way down the court at full speed just to foul them if he feels like it’s necessary. The Hawks can use an enforcer type and I think that’s what Kriener brings to the table. He’s got that “anger hustle” which works as long as he can control it a little.

I’m awarding this 2 pts

Kriener plays pissed off, which is worth a lot on a snooze-fest team like this with negative 10 defense. He’s kind of a Bill Laimbeer who will chase someone all the way down the court at full speed just to foul them if he feels like it’s necessary. The Hawks can use an enforcer type and I think that’s what Kriener brings to the table. He’s got that “anger hustle” which works as long as he can control it a little.
Gotta say this was pretty much spot on. At least through 4 games. He has been earning his time on the court which is tough considering who is in front of him.

Better than advertised so far:

Connor M healthier, plays defense, knows the game, size for a PG, under control, makes others better

Cook can tell he has improved, a budding leader, powerful to the hoop

Kriener bigger, stronger, competitor, not much flash, the kind of guy who hurts you physically by his play

Garza hustle, along with Kriener, has some post moves

Wieskamp not sure, seems undersized, based on my early impressions of him

Disappointing

Moss

You called your shot