2018-2019 Player Rankings

Kriener plays pissed off, which is worth a lot on a snooze-fest team like this with negative 10 defense. He’s kind of a Bill Laimbeer who will chase someone all the way down the court at full speed just to foul them if he feels like it’s necessary. The Hawks can use an enforcer type and I think that’s what Kriener brings to the table. He’s got that “anger hustle” which works as long as he can control it a little.
He will also dunk on a team with 2 seconds left up 20!!!!!!!!

I know Ryan feels bad for that dunk, but the Huskies almost baited this by still pressuring the ball when we were obviously were just killing the clock at the end.

Garza is Iowa's best player at this point he can hit shots all over the floor and is good on the block. He is Ethan Happ, but without the foot speed, he is better this year though.
Cook is right there he looks to be playing with a purpose so far, like he took the NBA feedback and ran with it, unlike Moss.
C-Mac is the most impactful player right now because he is a PG in every sense and he can handle pressure without forcing things. His only fault is bad fouls at this point and sometimes he closes short on shooters.

The effort that this team is playing with at both ends is the same, unlike before. Iowa is contesting everything, sometimes it leads to giving up offensive rebounds, but that is okay as long as it doesn't happen repeatedly and Iowa gets hammered on the boards.
Joe Weiskamp struggled last night, but if you focus on him at all, he understands the game of basketball on a high level.

I would like to see Dailey in the floor more instead of Moss, but Iowa has a lot on interchangeable parts and some nights the 5 playing the best together will change. There is a good balance of talent in the back couet, but I would worry if Garza/Cook get in foul trouble at the same time against a good opponent.

They still have a long way to go, but at least they look like a team that understands full effort on both sides is required.

. . . . Disappointing

Moss

I don't disagree about Moss. He made better choices the last 2 games. Made some pretty big 3-pointers early in each game. Moss was a major liabilty the 1st 2 games of the season. Hurt more then helped the team. Hope we're seeing a new Moss.

Everyone has their own opinions, which is fine. For argument sake I would say:

Weiskamp is the best recruit we’ve gotten in the Fran era. Look at the success Cook had as a freshman. It’s interesting to me that people have relatively low expectations for him. A top 50 kid coming into one of the worst teams in the league should be expected to be one of the top guys.

Second, to me I think Kriener is basically at his potential basketball wise, I don’t see a lot of room for growth. Nunge on the other hand has two inches on Kriener, better feet, a better jump shot (in terms of form and elevation), and is a better ball handler. Kriener has good post moves, a decent mid range shot, and is an good passer, but on a nightly basis he is at a disadvantage athletically compared to his opponent. Again I’m projecting where they will be next fall and winter. I think Nunge, who was already above Kriener last year widens the gap even more.

In regards to Moss he’s now in year 4. If he didn’t take the leap forward we wanted him to last year I just don’t know that it’s coming this year. Sure he has some offensive talent but he just doesn’t have that mentality and consistency you need.

Connor is just a guessing game at this point.
This aged well