2017 Offensive Predictions

If you go back and watch the first play from scrimmage of the Iowa vs NDSU game, I absolutely love that play call that Polasek made. Completely caught our defense off guard and was a terrific start to the game. I can imagine that being Stanley to Fant next year for sure.

Go to the 1:25 mark in the video.

But it is not fair to place the wins solely on the shoulders of the QB. ....
I'm not saying that at all.

In electronics we talk about signals "being out of phase" with each other. That is one signal is at a high, positive, value while another signal is at it's low, negative, value. If you mix the two together into one signal you get less, or no, signal.

What I am eluding to is that QB development is somewhat "out of phase" with the rest of the program. Make no bones about it - the 2017 team is returning a lot. They are returning experience across all units on the field. 2010 didn't meet expectations because of graduation and injury in the LB corps IMO. Can you imagine having the 2010 Stanzi in 2009?

Historically in the KF era every QB, who won the starting position outright, had the most wins in that first starting year. So here we are, barring some unlikely graduate transfer situation, putting an experienced Hawkeye team on the field with a QB who has never started a D1 game. Couple that w/ a new O/C and QB coach and I hope we don't see the trend broken. I think we loose a game or two because of these factors but I'm going with history on this one. I think that Stanley, or whoever, will have the most wins in his Hawkeye career in 2017.

If you go back and watch the first play from scrimmage of the Iowa vs NDSU game, I absolutely love that play call that Polasek made. Completely caught our defense off guard and was a terrific start to the game. I can imagine that being Stanley to Fant next year for sure.

I agree that is a great play call. A fake counter running play had LBs biting hard. That's as open as a TE on that route could get. WR blocked down field and there you go. I also liked how they had different personel groupings on their first 3 plays with completely different formations. You can still run your zone running plays from different formations and personel groupings making yourself way less predictable. Throwing from typically running formations and vice versa is something Iowa clearly needs to sprinkle in more of.

BTW. I also liked Iowa's first play call too. CJ just missed the throw. It might be interesting to know how game may have went if he hits Kittle in stride on that...

Last edited:
I'm not saying that at all.

In electronics we talk about signals "being out of phase" with each other. That is one signal is at a high, positive, value while another signal is at it's low, negative, value. If you mix the two together into one signal you get less, or no, signal.

What I am eluding to is that QB development is somewhat "out of phase" with the rest of the program. Make no bones about it - the 2017 team is returning a lot. They are returning experience across all units on the field. 2010 didn't meet expectations because of graduation and injury in the LB corps IMO. Can you imagine having the 2010 Stanzi in 2009?

Historically in the KF era every QB, who won the starting position outright, had the most wins in that first starting year. So here we are, barring some unlikely graduate transfer situation, putting an experienced Hawkeye team on the field with a QB who has never started a D1 game. Couple that w/ a new O/C and QB coach and I hope we don't see the trend broken. I think we loose a game or two because of these factors but I'm going with history on this one. I think that Stanley, or whoever, will have the most wins in his Hawkeye career in 2017.

Thanks for the clarification. Certainly an interesting phenomenon that Hawk QBs have peaked (wins-wise) in their first season starting.

That would be an interesting development. Are you speculating, or do you have some info to base that upon? As it pertains to that, isn't Stanley a pretty good athlete/potential runner as well? I would appreciate any info you or anyone else can provide.
I don't have any inside info. The thread starts out asking for a prediction so I made mine based on some of the recent QB recruit bios. Most have shown ability to run in high school. I also think BF is wanting the qb run dimension to be part of the offense. Boyle adds that.

You're right, Boyle's running ability was elite at the high school level (I just checked his stats). In his junior and senior years combined, he rushed for about 2500 yards (6.7 per carry) and 43 TDs. I remember hearing that Stanley is a great athlete (backed up by the fact that he lettered 4 years in FB, BB, and baseball), but he only rushed for around 250 yds as a senior and is described as a drop-back passer.

I think a lot of people would be surprised if Boyle emerged from the group as a starter, but it certainly would signal a change in philosophy.

You're right, Boyle's running ability was elite at the high school level (I just checked his stats). In his junior and senior years combined, he rushed for about 2500 yards (6.7 per carry) and 43 TDs. I remember hearing that Stanley is a great athlete (backed up by the fact that he lettered 4 years in FB, BB, and baseball), but he only rushed for around 250 yds as a senior and is described as a drop-back passer.

I think a lot of people would be surprised if Boyle emerged from the group as a starter, but it certainly would signal a change in philosophy.
Physically isn't Boyle the closes thing to Brad Banks we've had since? Size and athletic wise. Everyone is so PC about comparing players of different races but that's what I see anyway. I don't know if he's good enough to beat out Stanley or anyone else since he hasn't yet. It'll be an interesting battle in the spring

The QB position will change under BF. The QB must be able to demonstrate running ability as well as ability to make accurate throws of less than 20 yards. For that reason I believe Boyle will win the QB position and Stanley will be redshirted as a sophomore. Weigers will be the backup. Passes completions of over 20 yards are more difficult, but short passes with runs after catch often gain greater yards.

I highly doubt this. Boyle just spent the entire year at WR. That's not to say he doesn't still know how to play QB but to jump straight to a starting position seems pretty tough. Disclaimer: If you are right, I reserve the right to ask you for predictions on future lottery numbers. :)

I watched that play...and that play only, cannot relive embarassment again.

There are a lot of things to look forward to offensively this year. Solid line, Wadley, MVB. A good TE for underneath and a second WR threat and Iowa could be scoring in the upper 20s every game.

There are a lot of things to look forward to offensively this year. Solid line, Wadley, MVB. A good TE for underneath and a second WR threat and Iowa could be scoring in the upper 20s every game.
Yup. Those two things are a great place to start. I think the biggest question mark is QB. Seems to be one of under talked about things is we really aren't sure what we're getting at QB next yr. How good the offense is will be on Stanleys shoulders it looks like. It's about as good of a situation as a young first time starting QB can ask for with having an award winning Oline pretty much all back but one spot. Not to mention play making RB you can also throw the ball to on any down. I hope there isn't too much of an issue with the transitioning of BF to OC for everyone that they can get off to a good start game 1 and hopefully have a great year. The schedule will be much tougher but it's a long time to kickoff as they say..

Yup. Those two things are a great place to start. I think the biggest question mark is QB. Seems to be one of under talked about things is we really aren't sure what we're getting at QB next yr. How good the offense is will be on Stanleys shoulders it looks like. It's about as good of a situation as a young first time starting QB can ask for with having an award winning Oline pretty much all back but one spot. Not to mention play making RB you can also throw the ball to on any down. I hope there isn't too much of an issue with the transitioning of BF to OC for everyone that they can get off to a good start game 1 and hopefully have a great year. The schedule will be much tougher but it's a long time to kickoff as they say..

Hopefully, the other players can make the transition easier for Stanley, If he can get through the first few games and get comfortable he stands a chance when the B1G season starts. He just needs to remember he doesn't have to win the games, he just has to not lose the games. A new QB trying to hard is a sure way to get the offense in trouble.

Hopefully, the other players can make the transition easier for Stanley, If he can get through the first few games and get comfortable he stands a chance when the B1G season starts. He just needs to remember he doesn't have to win the games, he just has to not lose the games. A new QB trying to hard is a sure way to get the offense in trouble.
For sure. Part of that is on the coaches and the game plans they come up with. I think in a lot of ways coaches try to overcomplicate things just for complications sake. Keep things simple for them till they prove they can handle more. I always hated the reasoning when it came to why young WRs that had talent weren't playing by saying they weren't up to speed on the playbook etc. For crying out loud if a bigger faster WR with good hands is on the sideline because he hasn't memorized the playbook cover to cover your only hurting the team. Spoon feed them here and there I'm not saying they need to be in there 50 snaps game 1. But situationally let's use the best talent when you can.

For sure. Part of that is on the coaches and the game plans they come up with. I think in a lot of ways coaches try to overcomplicate things just for complications sake. Keep things simple for them till they prove they can handle more. I always hated the reasoning when it came to why young WRs that had talent weren't playing by saying they weren't up to speed on the playbook etc. For crying out loud if a bigger faster WR with good hands is on the sideline because he hasn't memorized the playbook cover to cover your only hurting the team. Spoon feed them here and there I'm not saying they need to be in there 50 snaps game 1. But situationally let's use the best talent when you can.
Exactly!

Latest posts