2017 Offensive Predictions

I agree. I think he should be our primary weapon next year. TE are always a great security blanket for a QB, especially a young inexperienced one. But Fant has big time ability. If BF truly is gonna copy the Patriots formula, this would be a great way to start

Yep, and if you look back through KOK's history, we got the ball to the WR. This is what we will get back to this year.

01 - Kahil Hill and CJ Jones nearly 1400 yds (Clark over 500)
'02 - Mo Brown and CJ Jones over 1400 yds (Clark with over 700)
'04 - Solomon and Hinkel over 1600 yds
'05 - Solomon and Hinkel over 1300 yds (Chandler over 500)
'06 - Brodel and Douglass over 1300 yds (Chandler nearly 600)
'08 - Brodell and DJK nearly 1200 yds (nearly 800 yds for Myers, Moeaki, Reisner combined)
'09 - DJK and McNutt over 1400 yds (Stross over 400 and Moeaki + Reisner over 500)
'10 - DJK and McNutt over 1600 yds (Reisner over 450)
'11 - McNutt and Keenan Davis over 2000 yds

For the majority of KOK years we had at least 2 WR on the field that could hurt you, and we got them the ball.

Here is what happened to our top 2 WR when GD hit town:

'12 - KMM and Keenan Davis over 1100 Yds
'13 - KMM and T. Smith 698 yds to be exact.
'14 - KMM and T. Smith 1100 yds
'15 - MVB and T. Smith nearly 1300 yds (no shock this was a very good year for us)
'16 - Rliey and J. Smith 831 yds to be exact.

For those who say there is no difference in our offense and KF controls it all, you have to stick your head in the sand to believe this. Under KOK we used the WR as weapons in the passing game.....under GD we did not as a whole. We were never explosive in the passing game except for '15 with GD.
See above for one of the best posts of the year. We have no where to go but up with our passing offense. I'm so glad Mr. Greg Davis has retired. Have a long and happy retirement , Greg! We won't miss you

TE production during last 5 years of KOK era:
2011: 39 rec, 411 yds, 5 TD
2010: 52 rec, 631 yds, 2 TD
2009: 45 rec, 526 yds, 5 TD
2008: 58 rec, 785 yds, 6 TD
2007: 37 rec, 409 yds, 8 TD

Average TE production under Davis: 47 rec, 531 yds, 5.4 TD

Average TE production under KOK: 46 rec, 552 yds, 5.2 TD

That really surprised me, I assumed TE production would be much better under KOK. A couple of things that jumped out when looking at the stats:
  • Jake Duzey, what could have been?
  • Moeaki never had any huge seasons, which kind of surprised me. I guess the injuries limited his counting stats more than I remember.
  • Alan Reisner has to be the 2nd most productive TE of the KF era (behind Clark)
It seems like Iowa has a pretty decent stable of TEs right now. 600+ yards is probably reasonable.
This one doesn't surprise me at all. Davis loved the horizontal passing game to backs and tight ends.

Many have mentioned the need to improve pass protection. I was curious just how bad it has been, so I looked up sacks per 100 attempts for the last 9 seasons (as far back as www.cfbstats.com goes).

upload_2017-2-16_15-25-22.png

Last year was the worst year in the last 9 (about 20% worse than any other), but 2015 and 2008 were also bad, and those were very successful seasons. Across all 9, there was a general (non-significant) trend for higher sack rates during more successful seasons.

I thought maybe higher sack rate might correlate with more yds/att and more explosive passing plays (20+ yds), so I looked at those as well. Higher sack rate does not necessarily correlate with those metrics, but yds/att and exp play rate (especially the former) do seem to correlate with better win%.

The real weird season in there is 2010. Highest yds/att by a wide margin, one of the lowest sack rates, and yet a disappointing season overall.

So pass pro didn't seem to be an issue throughout the Davis era, just the last 2 years. Why?

Perhaps lack of a Scherff/Reiff/Bulaga type on the outside? Many years Iowa has had a future NFL player at one tackle, if not both. What are the pro prospects of the tackles currently on the 2 deeps?

Perhaps the QB? You can see the sack rate has been high both years under Beathard. It was much lower with Ruddock.

Perhaps the scheme? Maybe, but sack rate was much lower with similar scheme from 2012-2014.

Perhaps lack of receiving threats?

Also noticed while digging around: Stanzi's 2010 season was awesome. It is sometimes claimed that he regressed as a senior, but he was so much better by any objective metric. I think the failure to lead the same 4Q comebacks that we remember so well from 2009 causes us to miss just how good he was that season (10th best passer rating in the nation).

upload_2017-2-16_15-42-24.png

AY/A is adjusted yards/attempt (adds 20 yards for completions for TDs, subtracts 45 yards for INT, divides everything by total attempts).

Those stats make me feel better about the KOK hiring.

Also noticed while digging around: Stanzi's 2010 season was awesome. It is sometimes claimed that he regressed as a senior, but he was so much better by any objective metric. I think the failure to lead the same 4Q comebacks that we remember so well from 2009 causes us to miss just how good he was that season (10th best passer rating in the nation).

View attachment 2543

AY/A is adjusted yards/attempt (adds 20 yards for completions for TDs, subtracts 45 yards for INT, divides everything by total attempts).

We made comebacks that year....they were then given back by a defense that was gassed at the ends of games because we only had 4 serviceable dlinemen.

View attachment 2543

Stanzi's 2010 season was far and away better than his 2009 season.

Stanzi's 2010 season was far and away better than his 2009 season.

Statistically, he was. He was far aggressive in '09, before you even say it I know it was easier to be aggressive with that '09 defense. I watched all the '10 games on the tube, but people who went to games that year said there were guys open downfield and he took the safe route with the check downs. Like I said I watched all the games on the couch that year so I don't know.

Statistically, he was. He was far aggressive in '09, before you even say it I know it was easier to be aggressive with that '09 defense. I watched all the '10 games on the tube, but people who went to games that year said there were guys open downfield and he took the safe route with the check downs. Like I said I watched all the games on the couch that year so I don't know.

Maybe. Almost a yard more per attempt in 2010, though.

The A-Rob injury, compounded by the decimation of the guard position, really seemed to send things downhill.

Also noticed while digging around: Stanzi's 2010 season was awesome. It is sometimes claimed that he regressed as a senior, but he was so much better by any objective metric.....
True, but the only objective measure that really matters in the end is wins. My prediction is, barring a QB controversy, that if one QB wins the starting spot outright, and starts through the entire season, he will have the most wins of his Hawkeye career in 2017.

But it is not fair to place the wins solely on the shoulders of the QB. He has a bigger impact on winning than any other single player, but he certainly has a MUCH smaller impact than the other 84 scholarship players on the team collectively. He can't play defense, he can't block the interior DL when the team is down to its 3rd string guard, and he can't stop fake punts.

Compared to 2009 Stanzi, the 2010 version completed almost 8% more of his passes, threw for 600 more yards, averaged 0.7 yds more per attempt, threw for 50% more TDs, cut his interceptions by 60%, and was sacked 25% less. Do you really think he was the main reason the Hawks were less successful on the field in 2010 compared to 2009?

The A-Rob injury, compounded by the decimation of the guard position, really seemed to send things downhill.

I forgot about the guard position. By the end of the year they were playing a 270 lbs. left guard. Kid from City High, can't remember his name, played well in the bowl game, though.

The QB position will change under BF. The QB must be able to demonstrate running ability as well as ability to make accurate throws of less than 20 yards. For that reason I believe Boyle will win the QB position and Stanley will be redshirted as a sophomore. Weigers will be the backup. Passes completions of over 20 yards are more difficult, but short passes with runs after catch often gain greater yards.

The QB position will change under BF. The QB must be able to demonstrate running ability as well as ability to make accurate throws of less than 20 yards. For that reason I believe Boyle will win the QB position and Stanley will be redshirted as a sophomore. Weigers will be the backup. Passes completions of over 20 yards are more difficult, but short passes with runs after catch often gain greater yards.

That would be an interesting development. Are you speculating, or do you have some info to base that upon? As it pertains to that, isn't Stanley a pretty good athlete/potential runner as well? I would appreciate any info you or anyone else can provide.

Latest posts