2016 Line-Up

Gotta question how difficult that was when you have Jok and Uthoff. I didn't see a lot of examples of Mike making plays and setting his teammates up by creating as I did see just some off ball screening action to set the 2 shooters up.
It always helps to have good teammates. The kid has best a-to since 97 an people still find a way to dog him. I don't get it.

Last edited:
MG 3.15 assists to TO! Pretty dang gooooood

Such a misleading stat in his case. Most of those assists were chest passes to open jump shooters ( Jok and JU) coming off screens as opposed to playmaking assists like a drive and dish.

To to his credit he didn't turn it over much, but again low risk passes, rather than creating opportunities for teammates that can lead to more TO's. Clemmons had far move penetration - play making assists.

Too much credit for a really good ratio. It certainly helped that he had so few turnovers and found the open shooters

Gotta question how difficult that was when you have Jok and Uthoff. I didn't see a lot of examples of Mike making plays and setting his teammates up by creating as I did see just some off ball screening action to set the 2 shooters up.

AGREE!!!. that assist/turnover stat must be the worst stat there is. Gesell was easily on of the worst point guards in the tournament. He tried his best, but PG was easily our worst position and MUST be NUMBER 1 priority in the coming years. Washpun was unguardable in the tournament by contrast

AGREE!!!. that assist/turnover stat must be the worst stat there is. Gesell was easily on of the worst point guards in the tournament. He tried his best, but PG was easily our worst position and MUST be NUMBER 1 priority in the coming years. Washpun was unguardable in the tournament by contrast

Gesell was better than Clemmons, so that would make off guard our worst spot.

Alright, I'm going to take this a step further. Here is my projected rotation with projected per game averages (Some Kool Aid).

1. CW 8 PPG
2. Jok 18 PPG
3. Uhl 10 PPG
4. Dale Jones 8 PPG
5. Cook 10 PPG
6. Baer 7 PPG
7. Moss 7 PPG
8. Wagner 6 PPG
9. Hutton 4 PPG
10. Fleming or Ellingson or J-Bo 4 PPG

That's roughly 82 PPG, obviously may tighten up during B10 play. I do think we will probably be either 9 or 10 deep next year. I could see some of those going either way but they were just rough guesses. If it played out like this we would be a very balanced team. As with every year, I think defense will be the key, as we have plenty of scoring. Thoughts?

I think Jok, and Williams will average double digits in scoring. Hutton, Moss, and Fleming are capable of it. I think the added athleticism will open things up for Uhl, and Wagner. Cook will probably see plenty of minutes so he could average double digit scoring. As little as Williams played he didn't have any shyness about shooting, and the coaching staff seemed to encourage him.

Such a misleading stat in his case. Most of those assists were chest passes to open jump shooters ( Jok and JU) coming off screens as opposed to playmaking assists like a drive and dish.

To to his credit he didn't turn it over much, but again low risk passes, rather than creating opportunities for teammates that can lead to more TO's. Clemmons had far move penetration - play making assists.

Too much credit for a really good ratio. It certainly helped that he had so few turnovers and found the open shooters

But if it's so easy to make those passes without turning it over then why doesn't every PG have a similar ratio?

Love Washpun but your quote about him, lol. He couldn't hit a shot against ATM. If that was Gesell shooting those outside shots as time expires y'all would be killing Gesell. Sure Glad John Stockton had Karl Malone to dish too, w/out him Stockton would have been garbage(sarcasm). Your only as good as the people around you.

Last edited:
It always helps to have good teammates. The kid has best a-to since 97 an people still find a way to dog him. I don't get it.
MG developed into a good assist guy and a decent defender, but his shooting skills were inadequate and his game got much, much worse in late-game clutch situations.

MG wasn't a great shooter but him not performing in clutch situations was often because his teammates weren't open and didn't seem to want the ball. I think we've been through that already.

If you consider shooting 7-20 from the field (0-5 from 3pt. range) "unguardable" then you and I have different definitions of unguardable.

But if it's so easy to make those passes without turning it over then why doesn't every PG have a similar ratio?

Because other point guards try to make plays. If there was a Stat that showed the percentage of times you turned the ball over while attempting to do something positive, it would not look very good for Mike.

What's crazy is those easy passes that Gesell does all game without ever turning it over became impossible passes in the last 2 minutes. Against Illinois, he was bringing the ball over the half court line and tried to thread the needle to a guy who was guarded standing out past the 3 point line. A big risk pass with zero reward. Why never make that pass all year in the first 38 minutes of the game, then in the last 2 want to risk it?

MG wasn't a great shooter but him not performing in clutch situations was often because his teammates weren't open and didn't seem to want the ball. I think we've been through that already.

Not scoring on last possessions of halves and games had a lot to do with teammates not wanting the ball. The 2 minutes leading up to the last possession being full of turnovers he never makes the rest of the game and missed free throws is what gives him the "unclutch" label.

nothing personal but I'm not sure I could disagree more.

Mike & AC were both PGs and we were forced to have one of them play the 2 which was in my opinion, this team's biggest weakness. We had 2 non scoring guards.

Peter Jok is not a guy I want bringing the ball up and sure Uhl could be described as a versatile 4 but he's no point forward. If I'm coaching the other team and saw either of those guys bringing the ball up, I'd immediately put pressure on them and see if I could force them into some turnovers.

On the flip side, I think Williams can play both the 1-2 but he won't be asked to play the 2 because we're short handed at the PG spot and will need all his minutes to be played their unless Bohannon completely surprises as a true freshman.

I agree with ibahawkeye here. 2 guard was a weak spot on the team. In an ideal world, AC would have been the pure backup to MG, not a starting sidekick and we would have had a good shooter in the 2 spot which is what Oglesby and Ellingson were supposed to be and it hasn't panned out that way. We were lucky that Uthoff and Jok were able to shoot the 3 well so we could hide the fact that we really didn't have a 2 guard.

I also disagree that the starting 2 guard will have the handles that the PG will. In most systems, the 2 guard is better at spot shooting and running off screens to get open and get the ball because that's what they practice...much like the PG practices dribbling the most. Not to say that there aren't some situations where there are two very good ball handlers on the floor at the same time cause that happens but I wouldn't say it's the norm except for the elite teams.

MG 3.15 assists to TO! Pretty dang gooooood

He also shot less than 40% from the field and would consistently drive into the lane too deep and either get his shot blocked or throw up something wild. He missed a TON of layups in his career.

He was a adequate PG with a good Assist/TO ratio, ran the offense decent and played decent D. So overall, I think MG was a nice player for us that did some things well and some not so well.

Love Washpun but your quote about him, lol. He couldn't hit a shot against ATM. If that was Gesell shooting those outside shots as time expires y'all would be killing Gesell. Sure Glad John Stockton had Karl Malone to dish too, w/out him Stockton would have been garbage(sarcasm). Your only as good as the people around you.

You mean like the last 2 disastrous shots he took at the end of the Temple game?? Have no clue why he was the one taking either of those shots.

I have a lineup that I think will possibly be how it ends up. I am not sold on Uhl being a starter. I am also going to label positions different as I think the roster sets up differently.

Point Guard - Williams/Bohannon

Shooting Guard - Jok/Flemming/Ellingson/Williams

Attack Guard/Small Forward - Hutton/Moss/Jok/Williams/Baer

Stretch Forward/Shooting Forward - Uhl/Baer/Jones

Attack/Low Forward - Cook/Pemsl/Wagner/Kreiner/Uhl

I would not be surprised if 2 freshmen end up starting (Cook & Bohannon) and I think Pemsl plays a good number of minutes. Kreiner is an unknown for me as I haven't seen much of him. I really think that Fran wants a PG that dishes (ie Gesell & Cartwright) and a shooting guard (ie Gatens & Jok) and an attacking Forward (ie White) and a Stretch Forward (ie Uthoff & Baer & Uhl) and one true Low Post but not a true Center (ie Cole & Wagner). I think he wants to have a defense similar to Golden State where 3 to 4 to 5 players are interchangeable and can switch a lot. I really like that defensive idea but I am a little scared of the ballhandling next year as Williams was loose with his dribble. That is why I could see Bohannon sneak in and start and move Williams to a different position. Right now I feel better with Jones or Baer in front of Uhl as I think he regressed to his mean at the end of the year. Uhl has a higher ceiling than Baer and Jones but I think they will be more consistent. I like Moss and Hutton at the attacking guard because I think both are athletic attackers that have length to defend. I think they are very similar players with Moss being more offensively polished version and Hutton being more defensively polished version. I am very afraid of the defense and ballhandling for next year as we lost a lot in those areas (and outside of Gesell we didn't have polished ballhandlers and we lost our best defender in Woody, our best on ball defender in Gesell, our best shot blocker in Uthoff, and some toughness in Clemmons).

I have a lineup that I think will possibly be how it ends up. I am not sold on Uhl being a starter. I am also going to label positions different as I think the roster sets up differently.

Point Guard - Williams/Bohannon

Shooting Guard - Jok/Flemming/Ellingson/Williams

Attack Guard/Small Forward - Hutton/Moss/Jok/Williams/Baer

Stretch Forward/Shooting Forward - Uhl/Baer/Jones

Attack/Low Forward - Cook/Pemsl/Wagner/Kreiner/Uhl

I would not be surprised if 2 freshmen end up starting (Cook & Bohannon) and I think Pemsl plays a good number of minutes. Kreiner is an unknown for me as I haven't seen much of him. I really think that Fran wants a PG that dishes (ie Gesell & Cartwright) and a shooting guard (ie Gatens & Jok) and an attacking Forward (ie White) and a Stretch Forward (ie Uthoff & Baer & Uhl) and one true Low Post but not a true Center (ie Cole & Wagner). I think he wants to have a defense similar to Golden State where 3 to 4 to 5 players are interchangeable and can switch a lot. I really like that defensive idea but I am a little scared of the ballhandling next year as Williams was loose with his dribble. That is why I could see Bohannon sneak in and start and move Williams to a different position. Right now I feel better with Jones or Baer in front of Uhl as I think he regressed to his mean at the end of the year. Uhl has a higher ceiling than Baer and Jones but I think they will be more consistent. I like Moss and Hutton at the attacking guard because I think both are athletic attackers that have length to defend. I think they are very similar players with Moss being more offensively polished version and Hutton being more defensively polished version. I am very afraid of the defense and ballhandling for next year as we lost a lot in those areas (and outside of Gesell we didn't have polished ballhandlers and we lost our best defender in Woody, our best on ball defender in Gesell, our best shot blocker in Uthoff, and some toughness in Clemmons).
I like your thinking and explanation but if Baer doesn't start, he will be among the first subs in.

Latest posts