2016 Line-Up

You might be right on Williams, he just didn't look all that smooth when he was used at the point this season.

But I'm wondering if both Flemming & Ellingson will even be back next season. Neither of them contributed all that much this season, especially Flemming, those scholarships may be put to good use on someone else. Not all recruits make it, remember this senior class once included Kyle Meyer and Pat Ingram.

I was thinking the same. It will be an interesting couple months and see if all come back or one or two leave. I'd be all for a 5th yr senior PG transfer if there is a good one out there.

He then posts up a smaller guard. To many people think you can't play PG because your 6'5 or 6'6 and that is not the case.

They'd be mistaken, some of the best point guards in history were taller than 6-5. Magic Johnson was 6-9, Oscar Robinson was 6-5. I'm not profiling Williams because of his height, he just doesn't look all that great when he played the position.

You mentioned Roy Marble, which was a great example of how Fran used someone that wasn't a typical point guard or even looked all that great at the position. That was much better than accusing people of profiling. I just gave you 2 more examples of a couple tall point guards who are widely considered to be the best point guards in NBA history.

I think Cook has more outside ability than Wagner. I could see them starting together. But I could see Williams, Jok, Baer, Cook, Uhl.

I must be the only one who think Baer has a shot at starting next season.
No your not. Cook will not start at least at the beginning of the year. The starters will be:
PG Williams
SG Jok
SF Baer
PF Uhl
C Wagner

Don't get too hung up on traditional position names, because more and more teams do not. Some will play 2 forwards and 3 guards or a 'center' and 4 guards, etc....
Jones will rotate on the 'front' line, maybe Cook if and when he's ready. Minutes in the backcourt and SF are wide open between 4 and 5 kids...

No your not. Cook will not start at least at the beginning of the year. The starters will be:
PG Williams
SG Jok
SF Baer
PF Uhl
C Wagner

Don't get too hung up on traditional position names, because more and more teams do not. Some will play 2 forwards and 3 guards or a 'center' and 4 guards, etc....
Jones will rotate on the 'front' line, maybe Cook if and when he's ready. Minutes in the backcourt and SF are wide open between 4 and 5 kids...

I know it's not every day iowa lands a recruit like Cook so you might not know, but top 50 kids start as freshman all the time.

I expect Cook to start especially if Jones isn't fully healthy. I like the idea of Williams and Bohannon at the point. Yes, they will probably turn it over more, but I think they will easily be more dynamic players than Gesell. I'm actually pretty excited to see next year's team, and I think they will surprise us overall.

Peter Jok at PG/ Yikes!! That's like giving the PG spot to Woodbury.
Really not much different then CW. Guards "should" be able to play both positions just as AC and MG did. A lot of coaches are getting away w/ the whole 1-5 label etc now days. Another way to do things is, if Uhl is at the "4" and we have problems bringing it up w/ a "guard" he can always bring it up, don't see many "4's" giving Uhl a hard time up the court. Lots of ways to adjust.

Really not much different then CW. Guards "should" be able to play both positions just as AC and MG did. A lot of coaches are getting away w/ the whole 1-5 label etc now days. Another way to do things is, if Uhl is at the "4" and we have problems bringing it up w/ a "guard" he can always bring it up, don't see many "4's" giving Uhl a hard time up the court. Lots of ways to adjust.

nothing personal but I'm not sure I could disagree more.

Mike & AC were both PGs and we were forced to have one of them play the 2 which was in my opinion, this team's biggest weakness. We had 2 non scoring guards.

Peter Jok is not a guy I want bringing the ball up and sure Uhl could be described as a versatile 4 but he's no point forward. If I'm coaching the other team and saw either of those guys bringing the ball up, I'd immediately put pressure on them and see if I could force them into some turnovers.

On the flip side, I think Williams can play both the 1-2 but he won't be asked to play the 2 because we're short handed at the PG spot and will need all his minutes to be played their unless Bohannon completely surprises as a true freshman.

nothing personal but I'm not sure I could disagree more.

Mike & AC were both PGs and we were forced to have one of them play the 2 which was in my opinion, this team's biggest weakness. We had 2 non scoring guards.

Peter Jok is not a guy I want bringing the ball up and sure Uhl could be described as a versatile 4 but he's no point forward. If I'm coaching the other team and saw either of those guys bringing the ball up, I'd immediately put pressure on them and see if I could force them into some turnovers.

On the flip side, I think Williams can play both the 1-2 but he won't be asked to play the 2 because we're short handed at the PG spot and will need all his minutes to be played their unless Bohannon completely surprises as a true freshman.

guess we'll agree to disagree. I don't think your seeing the whole picture. there is adjustments to everything. If they adjust to Uhl bringing the ball up and use "guards" on him or zone trap, we adjust. really isn't as difficult as people want to make it out to be. people look into things wayyyy to much. Also at time having both MG and AC on the floor as "pg" helped this team w/ low turnovers. Give and Take.

I also question Williams starting at the point next season, he really isn't a true point guard. He is a small forward with some ok ball handling skills. OTOH going with Bohannon, a true freshman, sounds scary as well. I'm a little disappointed in how Fran has recruited the PG position the past couple of years.

Fran recruited Williams to play the point. And I definitely trust Fran's ability to evaluate under the radar talent. I think Williams handles are a little loose right now but he has an off season to work on it. I'm not disappointed in how Fran recruited at PG. He's got 2 guys he wants. Let's wait and see how the Williams/Bohannon combination works. Also, Gesell and Clemmons played a ton of PG as true freshmen.

guess we'll agree to disagree. I don't think your seeing the whole picture. there is adjustments to everything. If they adjust to Uhl bringing the ball up and use "guards" on him or zone trap, we adjust. really isn't as difficult as people want to make it out to be. people look into things wayyyy to much. Also at time having both MG and AC on the floor as "pg" helped this team w/ low turnovers. Give and Take.

Being a PG is not just about bringing the ball up the court. With that said I wouldn't even trust Uhl doing that. Mike and Anthony could bring the ball up the court just fine but PG was still a weakness this year

Being a point guard is more than just getting the ball into the front court. It is a very difficult position. Most on here agree that in the NCAA tournament, you need good guard play. Look at the teams that are winning; they all have good guard play.

While I believe that we will have adequate guard play, adequate is what we have had for a while now. I believe the last dynamic point guard we had was Bryce Cartwright, he could consistently get into the lane and make decent decisions. Mike, while I love his effort, is adequate.

Im going

Pg williams
Sg jok
Sf baer
Pf uhl
C jones

Fran might of made a deal with cook, like he did with woodbury. Which would be him starting every game as a hawkeye. Which would obviously change that.

MG 3.15 assists to TO! Pretty dang gooooood

Gotta question how difficult that was when you have Jok and Uthoff. I didn't see a lot of examples of Mike making plays and setting his teammates up by creating as I did see just some off ball screening action to set the 2 shooters up.

Alright, I'm going to take this a step further. Here is my projected rotation with projected per game averages (Some Kool Aid).

1. CW 8 PPG
2. Jok 18 PPG
3. Uhl 10 PPG
4. Dale Jones 8 PPG
5. Cook 10 PPG
6. Baer 7 PPG
7. Moss 7 PPG
8. Wagner 6 PPG
9. Hutton 4 PPG
10. Fleming or Ellingson or J-Bo 4 PPG

That's roughly 82 PPG, obviously may tighten up during B10 play. I do think we will probably be either 9 or 10 deep next year. I could see some of those going either way but they were just rough guesses. If it played out like this we would be a very balanced team. As with every year, I think defense will be the key, as we have plenty of scoring. Thoughts?

Being a point guard is more than just getting the ball into the front court. It is a very difficult position. Most on here agree that in the NCAA tournament, you need good guard play. Look at the teams that are winning; they all have good guard play.

While I believe that we will have adequate guard play, adequate is what we have had for a while now. I believe the last dynamic point guard we had was Bryce Cartwright, he could consistently get into the lane and make decent decisions. Mike, while I love his effort, is adequate.

The fact you're mentioning Cartwright as an improvement speaks volumes of our guard play the last few years. Cartwright was mediocre at best. Position has been weak spot for a long time.

Latest posts