2015 NFL Draft: Iowa DT Carl Davis is the Real Deal

HawkeyeHypnosis

http://nflmocks.com/2014/10/14/2015-nfl-draft-iowa-dt-carl-davis-real-deal/

From article:

As I previously mentioned, this is one of the toughest players in the country to move out of the way. Not only that, but Davis is athletic and has great length, making him nearly impossible to take out of the play unless he is double-teamed. Guards and centers can’t really handle his combination of size, quickness, and strength, which leads me to believe that a strong second half of the season and some more national exposure for the Hawkeyes program could generate some legitimate first round hype for this young man.

Not easy to compare because of the difference in positions but is Carl better than Adrian Clayborn?

I think I would say yes. He is the complete package and will be a damn good NFL player.

Not easy to compare because of the difference in positions but is Carl better than Adrian Clayborn?

I think I would say yes. He is the complete package and will be a damn good NFL player.

I wouldn't necessarily say he's a better player, but he's a better prototypical fit for his position than Clayborn was coming out of school.

He has pro potential in a 4-3 scheme at tackle. Middle rounder. Double teams stop him cold. Is he good at using moves to disengage himself from the blocker other than strength moves?

Last edited:
He has pro potential in a 4-3 scheme at tackle. Middle rounder. Double teams stop him cold. Is he good at using moves to disengage himself from the blocker other than strength moves?

If he can consistently eat up double teams in the NFL then he's doing his job. Anything beyond that is a bonus.

He's not agile enough, strong (maybe the word is leveraged since he's so tall) enough, or can defeat double teams enough to play in a nose tackle 3-4 scheme.

A lineman who needs to be double teamed is desirable in the NFL. No team in the NFL is going to double team Davis if he doesn't need double teaming because other lineman may need double teaming.

Last edited:
I think his compadre at DT is outplaying him this year. Just my opinion. Carl has the NFL body though.

LTP is going to "flash" more due to his greater mobility, so he's going to get more sacks, TFL, that type of thing. Davis is never going to have huge stats, but read the assessment of why the NFL scouts like him. He's very difficult to move out of the way. That has huge value in the NFL (and does at Iowa too, it just means that he's not going to put up huge stats).

The teams that have had success running the ball this year have generally not been successful going between the tackles (first half of Pitt game being the outlier). Davis is a large part of that. He and LTP are very good compliments and difficult for most teams to deal with over an entire game.

The article said he could be a 1st rounder if the second half of the season goes right. Also mentioned a really good value if slipped to the 2nd round.

The article said he could be a 1st rounder if the second half of the season goes right. Also mentioned a really good value if slipped to the 2nd round.

Clearly, Homer can analyze NFL talent better than the NFL scouts.....if it is an Iowa player....he just automatically denigrates any Iowa players talent, and downgrades them 4-5 rounds lower than the NFL GMs.....he is the expert, on Iowa players...they are never any good.

There's a reason Indiana's Coleman got all his yards on the same stretch run play. He didn't get them running up the middle. Indiana took what they could get to the outside. Hopefully Iowa can get that shored up for a complete run-stop defense going forward.

There's a reason Indiana's Coleman got all his yards on the same stretch run play. He didn't get them running up the middle. Indiana took what they could get to the outside. Hopefully Iowa can get that shored up for a complete run-stop defense going forward.

Agree completely. Coleman's run plays were almost always misses by linebackers out of position to address the play. He was so fast that they could not recover, but the drawback was being out of position in the first place. Even heard the announcers claiming it was just failure to set the edge. It would be one thing if they were effectively blocked, but in two of the runs, that was not the case...they just did not key on the back. If we can fix that and get a body on the big fast back before they get the head of steam up, those big gainers are different stories. He may or may not be the best we face all year, but I would bet that the types of plays that gained those big yards will not be as easily executed going forward.

I got to watch the game on tv after having watched it at the game. And those long runs were because of the combination of two reasons. LBs overpursuing the plays and safeties taking terrible angles. Either they were misjudging the kids speed or just plain messing up but yea on those 3 long runs you could have drove a truck through the alley he had. Wasn't really the tackles responsibility on those plays at all. That said that kid is the real deal.

Actually Coleman's last big TD run was right through Carl Davis and Reggie Spearman, although it looked like Carl caught an elbow in the sternum or stomach that knocked the wind out of him.

Actually Coleman's last big TD run was right through Carl Davis and Reggie Spearman, although it looked like Carl caught an elbow in the sternum or stomach that knocked the wind out of him.

thank you. I was thinking the same thing. Coleman's last TD was when he found a small hole in the line and once he got through, there was nobody there who could tackle him.

Latest posts