2015 & 2016 Big Ten Scheds Released Monday at 9a

you know what would have made sense? A geographical split....you know, like what most conferences do.
I imagine when the B1G expands again they will do the splits much better next time.

Too many strong teams in the East.

Yes. The problem is that you're arguing the point of a clear established history under the pretense of whether it's a relevant, valuable rivalry. No one it arguing that it's a great rivalry worth protecting on those merits alone.

That said, there are 4 of 6 rivalries that were clearly worth protecting. It doesn't really make sense to have the remaining 4 teams alternate especially when you consider the fact that the brass spittoon was already established and in place.

I will argue that only 2 of the 6 "rivalry" matchups are considered rivalries worth protecting. Minny/Wisky and OSU/UM.

Nobody outside of Illinois cares about Ill/NW, hell a lot of the people in Illinois dont even care about that game.

Penn State/Nebraska will move the needle but I would hardly consdier it a rivalry.

Iowa/Purdue and MSU/Indiana both suck and no brass spittoon is going to change my mind.

Just because some of the teams have played each other for 60+ years does not mean its a rivalry worth protecting.

Protected cross division rivals aside, our new division rivalry w/ Nebraska is having that game move to Saturdays. None of the future Heroes games are scheduled for Black Friday.

The best part about this thread is that most of the people complaining about playing Wisky less, also are excited about future conference expansion.

I for one hope we don't see any further expansion, because then all tradition is lost and we will essentially be playing in a new conference. How about, just agree to have your conference champions play at the end of the year, instead of making a 20 team super conference...Rose Bowl sounds like a nice place for 2 conferences to meet.

Protected cross division rivals aside, our new division rivalry w/ Nebraska is having that game move to Saturdays. None of the future Heroes games are scheduled for Black Friday.

My guess is they didn't want to add an extra date in the schedule release with just Neb/Iowa on it.

Last edited:
Too many strong teams in the East.

False.

East champion would likely be OSU/UM/PSU 9 of 10 years.
West champion would likely be UW/NEB/IA most years.

My opinion that makes a pretty good championship game every year.

I think UM and PSU get far too much credit than they deserve. Look back at the last 10 years, I'd take UM and PSU on my schedule any day over UW and NEB. OSU is the only true powerhouse in our league.

Does our rivalry with Purdue have some forgotten object we can base the game on? I have an old crock in my garage we can paint up and play for. Or maybe we could get the corn growers to donate their first American Gothic effort to the big game. I hear "gothic" is hot with all the kids these days.

False.

East champion would likely be OSU/UM/PSU 9 of 10 years.
West champion would likely be UW/NEB/IA most years.

My opinion that makes a pretty good championship game every year.

I think UM and PSU get far too much credit than they deserve. Look back at the last 10 years, I'd take UM and PSU on my schedule any day over UW and NEB. OSU is the only true powerhouse in our league.

No, it's not false. Statistically speaking the East would have four of the top six winning programs. 3 teams with 800 wins versus 1, which is Nebraska, from the West.

I know that's your opinion, and you're welcome to it, but it doesn't invalidate my response.

According to the Iowa Athletic Dept, release on schedule,the Iowa and Nebraska athletic directors will meet after the season to determine if the Iowa-Neb game will continue to be played on Black Friday or moved to saturday.

I hope it stays on Black Friday, but with a 2:30 kickoff. On saturday it will get obscured by the Michigan/OSU and PSU/Wis games....I like watching all those games and so if I attend Iowa/Neb on Friday,I can still catch those other games....Keep it special,please, Osborne and Barta!

I miss playing Becky Badger, but I think the divisions have been set up pretty well. I didn't always feel that way.

When Michigan was (very briefly) down, we all wondered why the BoneG felt that it was so important to separate Michigan and Ohio State.

I think we'll see that logic pretty clearly in the next five years. Michigan and tOSU look like they will be very, very strong (just like they have been historically) and that they may often be playing each other for the championship. I think that Iowa's division is tougher right now (with MSU, Nebby, Mich, and NW), but I think this evens a bit if PSU can progress. OSU and Wisky will of course be strong. Purdon't is a question mark moving forward. Illinois has to resurrect itself...again.

If Michigan and fOSU are both recruiting nationally at a top-5 level (as they did this year), and everyone else in the BoneG is around 40th, I can see Mich and fOSU playing each other in the championship game a lot.

In 2013 the BADgers will have the easiest schedule in the history of the Big Ten conference:

at OSU
NW
at Ill
PU
at Iowa
Ind
at MN
PSU

In 2013 the BADgers will have the easiest schedule in the history of the Big Ten conference:

at OSU
NW
at Ill
PU
at Iowa
Ind
at MN
PSU

Hopefully that just means that if they win their division they will be woefully unprepared for the B1G title game. Nebby has what looks to be a couple of pretty soft schedules coming up too. These next two years will be pretty tough for Iowa but 2014 and 15 are looking good IMO.

Hopefully that just means that if they win their division they will be woefully unprepared for the B1G title game. Nebby has what looks to be a couple of pretty soft schedules coming up too. These next two years will be pretty tough for Iowa but 2014 and 15 are looking good IMO.
Iowa's 2013 schedule is pretty brutal.

Latest posts