2015 & 2016 Big Ten Scheds Released Monday at 9a

JonDMiller

Publisher/Founder
per a tweet from the B1G

in 2013 & 2014, Ohio State and Wisconsin return to Iowa's schedule while Indiana and Penn State fall off.

Illinois is going to be one of the two teams from the Leaders that is on it...as it relates to the other team, not sure. Marc Morehouse said in a tweet 'Wisconsin isn't on it, that much we know'

Would love to not play Purdue every year. Not sure why every team HAS to have a permanent crossover game.

Would love to not play Purdue every year. Not sure why every team HAS to have a permanent crossover game.

To keep certain rivalries intact.

OSU/Michigan
Illinois/NW
Minny/Wisky

Those are all crossover games. Some teams, Iowa included, just didnt have a natural rival left over to be paired with.

I understand why some teams have permanent crossover rivalries....but why do we? Cant' we just play another random team from the other division and thus get to play more B1G teams more frequently? I'm sure all Iowa and Purdue fans would like that.

I understand why some teams have permanent crossover rivalries....but why do we? Cant' we just play another random team from the other division and thus get to play more B1G teams more frequently? I'm sure all Iowa and Purdue fans would like that.

Because every team had crossover rivalries to protect except Iowa and Purdue.

Because every team had crossover rivalries to protect except Iowa and Purdue.

Not really. 2 big rivalries in Mich/OSU and Minny/Wisky were protected. I dont think a lot of people consider Illinois/Northwestern a huge rivalry, but they are both from the same state so it makes sense.

Penn State and Nebraska arent rivlas and were pitted against each other strictly because of the history of the 2 schools.

Indiana/MSU is as bad if not worse than Iowa/Purdue.

Looks like Illinois and Penn St for 2015 and 2016. The Legends/Leaders set up is awful. 2 Wisconsin games in 6 years? This is b.s. Wise up Delaney and Co. and get to geographical divisions.

Its a mathematical construct required for schedule generation. I guess you could claim Iowa/Purdue isn't a permanent crossover, but due to all the other crossovers we'd play them every year anyway.

Not really. 2 big rivalries in Mich/OSU and Minny/Wisky were protected. I dont think a lot of people consider Illinois/Northwestern a huge rivalry, but they are both from the same state so it makes sense.

Not really what? Yes, really, every team had crossover rivalries to protect.

Michigan and Ohio State is obvious.
Michigan State and Indiana old brass spittoon dates back to the 50's.
Minnesota and Wisconsin PB Axe and predecessor trophy date back to 30's.
PSU and Nebraska had obvious history.
Illinois and Northwestern rivalry trophy dates back to the 40's.

I didn't say they were all "huge" rivalries, but they are all longstanding, well established rivalries with Big 10 tradition.

Penn State and Nebraska arent rivlas and were pitted against each other strictly because of the history of the 2 schools.

These teams have a history pre-Big Ten that is well known. For two schools that weren't in the same conference there was as much of a rivalry as many schools in a similar situation.

Indiana/MSU is as bad if not worse than Iowa/Purdue.

Maybe, I am not arguing that point, but it does have an established history.

Get Wisco back finally in 2013/2014.. but they jump off the schedule again for 2015/2016.. in which we finally get to see ILL..

Not really what? Yes, really, every team had crossover rivalries to protect.

Michigan and Ohio State is obvious.
Michigan State and Indiana old brass spittoon dates back to the 50's.
Minnesota and Wisconsin PB Axe and predecessor trophy date back to 30's.
PSU and Nebraska had obvious history.
Illinois and Northwestern rivalry trophy dates back to the 40's.

I didn't say they were all "huge" rivalries, but they are all longstanding, well established rivalries with Big 10 tradition.

These teams have a history pre-Big Ten that is well known. For two schools that weren't in the same conference there was as much of a rivalry as many schools in a similar situation.

Maybe, I am not arguing that point, but it does have an established history.

Why is it considered an "established history"? Because they play for a brass spittoon? Who cares.

Why is it considered an "established history"? Because they play for a brass spittoon? Who cares.

Yes. The problem is that you're arguing the point of a clear established history under the pretense of whether it's a relevant, valuable rivalry. No one it arguing that it's a great rivalry worth protecting on those merits alone.

That said, there are 4 of 6 rivalries that were clearly worth protecting. It doesn't really make sense to have the remaining 4 teams alternate especially when you consider the fact that the brass spittoon was already established and in place.

Iowa continues to be Delany's red-headed stepchild of the league. Delany himself admitted that the Iowa/Wis. series was the one serious rivalry that was not accomadated with the non-geographical divisional split....and then he turns the knife by not putting Wis on Iowa schedule for 4 of the first 6 years of the new setup....way to roll over for Big Jim,Gary Barta!

But hey, we do get Purdue every single year to eternity,so that tremendous historic rivalry lives on!!

you know what would have made sense? A geographical split....you know, like what most conferences do.
I imagine when the B1G expands again they will do the splits much better next time.

Iowa continues to be Delany's red-headed stepchild of the league. Delany himself admitted that the Iowa/Wis. series was the one serious rivalry that was not accomadated with the non-geographical divisional split....and then he turns the knife by not putting Wis on Iowa schedule for 4 of the first 6 years of the new setup....way to roll over for Big Jim,Gary Barta!

But hey, we do get Purdue every single year to eternity,so that tremendous historic rivalry lives on!!

Yeah its all Gary Barta's fault. :rolleyes:

Latest posts