2014 Weakness - Offensive Line Depth

He did not say anything about Daniels but realize the same thing you are saying about Daniels was said about Canzeri this time last year and even into the year until he got a chance and seized it. How many posters were dogging him quoting a 3.3 yds per carry avg which was based on like 1.25 games. Not every back lights it up on his first 5 touches.

Some people like to look at stats to decide how good a player is and some people actually watch the games and recognize how good a player looks when he's in there.

quote_icon.png
Originally Posted by WinOneThisCenturyCompletely disagree as I feel we need playmakers at RB to compliment the power game. I love Mark Weisman, but he's a fullback. Why is it that Canzeri was the one always breaking the big runs last year. It's called speed and the ability to make guys miss in the secondary. You need a homerun back or someone who can make big plays when they are there. I think our RB's killed our offense last year...because they couldn't exploit what they were given by the offensive line...until Canzeri got his opportunities. There is room for both, but put a playmaker in there puts a ton of pressure on the opposing safeties to support in the running game...and that's when the over the top passing game opens up

WOTC didn't even mention Daniels if the post you quoted. He mentioned Canzeri.

Relax, I may have quoted the wrong post, he mention Daniels and Canzeri over the other backs in his first post.

But seriously, relax, panties are not made to be bunched.

Sure, the backups are unproven, haven’t really needed them because of good health. But there’s a lot of talent there, and I’d guess several of them would be ready to step in.

canzeri+speed is overplayed. more quick than fast, which makes him appear like a home run hitter. i do like his ability of his little jump over a tackle in the hole.

Totally agree. I've never understood this love affair with canzeri. He's about five foot two with decent quickness. And then?

Totally agree. I've never understood this love affair with canzeri. He's about five foot two with decent quickness. And then?

I actually think Canzeri has some strength and durability to him. He's Garmon with muscles, if you will. And he DOES bring things to the table that Weisman doesn't. But Weisman is not as slow as people think. He has "fast feet", and good vision. He just doesn't have breakaway speed. Neither did A-Rob. Neither did Eddie Phillips. Neither did a lot of other guys.

Speed is "nice" to have. Speed, itself, is hardly an indicator of success at RB, WR or DB. Same with race. Not ALL black RBs are better than ALL white RBs. Some just can't shake the myth, though...

Depth is paper thin all over. There are 3 walk-ons and a bunch of freshmen and sophomores that have never taken a snap on that second line. Lose either tackle for an extended period of time and we are looking at a 2012 type of situation.

Depth is paper thin all over. There are 3 walk-ons and a bunch of freshmen and sophomores that have never taken a snap on that second line. Lose either tackle for an extended period of time and we are looking at a 2012 type of situation.

BTN rated them the #1 offensive line in the league. They can'y be that thin to be on top

I think Scherff is the best in the league, so that gives Iowa cred.
Blythe, Walsh and Donnal are solid...to very good.
Welsh is the question mark.

I think we have to pray those frontline guys stay healthy and try to phase in some of the younger backups thruout the season.

I think next season that Boetteger will be very good. Ward can be good also...Blythe ,Walsh and Welsh will be back....so we can be respectable again next season.

Iowa can lose one tackle and still be OK. Two would derail the season. That's probably true even if the younger guys bulk up over the summer. Guard and center look ok to me.

You had me until "more Canzeri and Daniels please", given that it was a post about the OL. If the OL does the job, and none of the RBs get overspent and play-calling mix improves, it really won't MATTER who is in at RB for any given play.

Oh yes it does. Canzeri gives the O a legitimate home run threat. I agree with WinOne, more Canzeri & Daniels. Canzeri has a little shake that the other don't. Daniels is just a joy to watch run with his style. I think Weisman is the perfect back with his experience to spell the others. We know Kirk, and Weisman has seniority.

Canzeri can get through the holes that aren't there for very long that Weisman can't. I'm not sure what Canzeris 40 time is but he's not slow. The other thing he has that I think he's the best at amongst the rb group is vision. He has cut back vision and ability. Maybe he's not Tavian Banks but he's not bad. I don't think 15 touches a game is too much for him in fact I'd like that to be his average. Using Weisman in short yardage/goal line situations and then more so in the 4th q to pound away would be ideal. Theres 12-15 touches a game available for him too. Bullock isn't worthless either and then Daniels of course is a tank. He just might be the best goal line guy if he can hold on to the ball.

Where else other than a hawkeye message board would someone say "if you have a good oline it doesn't matter how good your running back is"?

Where else other than a hawkeye message board would someone say "if you have a good oline it doesn't matter how good your running back is"?

I didn't see that anyone said that. It said "it wouldn't matter", as in, between Weisman, Canzeri, Daniels, Bullock, et. al.

Part of it I'm sure is b/c people are tired of seeing stretch right/stretch left with a slow plodding fullback. Weisman has his place, and so do Canzeri. If you watched any of Canzeri's recruiting tapes you'll see what the excitement was about. Canzeri has great vision and is never caught from behind. Both are not true of Weisman.

That left guard position looks like it is the one up for grabs with Walsh at right guard. I got myself confused earlier and wanted to say that Ward was the swing man who could back up at either tackle or guard. This Walsh, Welsh, Ward thing will have me confused for the next two years.

I think Simmons and welsh end up being the backups at center and guard. But ward pops out to tackle if anything happens there and Simmons or welsh moves into the guard.

if they are willing to play ward at guard I think he is one of the top 5 linemen. It will be interesting to see who the starters end up being as 1 to 2 spots could change. I still think there is a possibility Donnal goes to guard and ward goes to rt.

Good rbs still matter but a good/great ol halos make an average rb look good. But a bad ol can make a good/great rb look average. Part of the problem in the past yrs has been quickness to the los. Weisman is not quick to los but Canzeri is. Without a big hole Weisman struggled. Canzeri is low and quick allowing him to get to the line quicker and get through smaller holes. He also seems to have better vision.

the place I think the coaches struggle is utilizing multiple backs. We usually use 1 rb primarily and then a 2nd when the 1st goes down. Even with wegher and a-rob they didn't have many split games. We need to give each rb a series early to see who will be the best fit in the game or come away with a specific back for specific situations...like a long yardage back, a short yardage back, pass situation back, and others.

Latest posts