2012 Schedule and beyond

sportstalent

With Iowa getting recruiting on track beginning with next season's freshman, is it time for Iowa to start getting better teams on their schedule?

They can keep some of the patsies that are there like Brown and North Carolina A&Tm and a couple others, but it is time to up the strength of schedule.

When it comes down to it, I could care less how many home games are the result of it because they should be able to get some home-home games with teams. Get some teams that are middle of the pack, or lower in the power six conferences. Some teams that come to mind are: Cal, Stanford, Washington, Oklahoma State, Depaul, Providence, Seton Hall, Virginia, NC State, Alabama, Tennessee, Florida State, Wake Forest, Georgia and others.

Iowa is a fledgling program under Fran and needs to get exposure in the areas that they are trying to recruit the hardest.

If the 2012 class is as good as billed, it will not hurt to take some lumps prior to the conference schedule.

Also, what is it going to hurt anything if Iowa can't beat the schedule they are playing now? Playing all these games in the state of Iowa is doing exactly what for them...they don't get on TV. Play in a preseason tournament and get better teams to play, it will only help in the long run.

completely disagree. Lets learn how to win again, and then start taking on stiffer competition in the non-conference schedule. We already play in the toughest or one of the toughest conferences in the country so why pile it on to begin the season?

Yes I agree sportstalent. We have to start looking to the future and beyond. That would be a good list of schools to play. Drop the deadweight on our schedule (instate schools) and get those schools on the schedule.

You guys remember back when Alford beat up on UConn? And when we used to go to good preseason tournies with Alford and we would do well? I think one year Alford beat 3 out of the 4 Final Four teams (also played UNC but lost to them). That's what we need to do again, maybe a preseason tourney where we play Kansas, UNC, Kentucky and UConn instead of patsies like Creighton and the instate schools.

You guys remember back when Alford beat up on UConn? And when we used to go to good preseason tournies with Alford and we would do well? I think one year Alford beat 3 out of the 4 Final Four teams (also played UNC but lost to them). That's what we need to do again, maybe a preseason tourney where we play Kansas, UNC, Kentucky and UConn instead of patsies like Creighton and the instate schools.

Wow. Honestly, is it better to have a chance against a team like Drake and Creighton, or is it better to get pummeled by teams like UNC? Like a poster said above, you need to get back to winning before you even think of scheduling tougher competition.

Iowa needs to make sure they continue to get the best talent out of Iowa. As of now, they still do. However, if they continue to lose, that will soon pass. When Iowa is good, they are good with Iowa players.

Wow. Honestly, is it better to have a chance against a team like Drake and Creighton, or is it better to get pummeled by teams like UNC? Like a poster said above, you need to get back to winning before you even think of scheduling tougher competition.

Iowa needs to make sure they continue to get the best talent out of Iowa. As of now, they still do. However, if they continue to lose, that will soon pass. When Iowa is good, they are good with Iowa players.

Iowa has had some good players from in-state, like Horner, Skinner and Lookingbill, but our bread and butter players have come from out of state. Pierce, Horton, Moe, Jepsen and Marble Sr. were all out of state guys and they were way better than the in-state guys I mentioned.

It is better to play UNC. Better for recruiting and getting the Iowa name out on the East Coast. We will not be down forever.

Iowa's best talent came out of Flint, Michigan.

It is better to play UNC. Better for recruiting and getting the Iowa name out on the East Coast. We will not be down forever.

Yep, absolutely. We've gotta get some games on ESPN and CBS. The 6 non-con games on BTN are a joke and the kids that really matter in terms of turning the program around aren't going to be able to tune in the Iowa-ISU game on KDSM on their rabbit ears in Chicago or Flint.

It's better for recruiting to get beat by 50 to UNC? I don't think so...

Take your UNI trolling to your own board, prole. We're going to be on par with UNC by the third week of the season next year. Jimmy's and Joe's plus X's and O's =

WE R BACK

We play teams like UNC and KY in non conference we will end up winning about 5 games all year. Nobody wants to play for a team that wins 5 games a year. This is the weakest schedule I can remember and we are going to struggle to win 10 games.

I honestly wonder sometimes if people can read. Nowhere was it suggested to schedule UNC or any current top 25 program.
Also, I want Iowa to keep the in-state games on the schedule, just replace teams like Brown with teams out of power six conferences.
By playing those teams Iowa has a better chance of being televised, so people don't have to pi$$ and moan all the time why they aren't on TV.
Honestly, I am not suggesting playing a top 5 schedule either, just put some better and winnable games on the schedule.
What the heck does "learn how to win" mean? Teams can win if the recruit good players, something Iowa hasn't done, but by all accounts are today. "Learn how to win" what a joke, one of the most overused statements today when a program is in the position that Iowa is in.
Better recruits=winning and a little coaching will get Iowa where they need to be. If people are set on playing Creampuff U, I am not. As poorly as Iowa has scheduled in the past it hasn't been this poor.
Let me just say from experience, if you don't have talent, you just aren't going to win period...playing poor schedules and inflating your wins gets a false sense of hope and that is it. When conference play starts reality sets in...ask any of those teams that have double-digit wins in the non-conference and win less than 5 games in conference...how did that work out for them, but hey they are "learning how to win" idiocy.

last i checked Creighton was ranked 17th
and to get those upper level teams to even look at Iowa and major TV is to start winning and continue to recruit well
next seasons recruiting class will get the TV exec's attention and it will be in their sophamore year that the better teams will be induced by the TVmoney to play Iowa
but it will be either a game on their court or a neutral site
next year the good thing about it will be lose just May
and the freshmen will have a year to play together and grow

How many major conference teams do you honestly think we can beat? We've lost to two pretty poor major conference teams in Clemson and Iowa State.

Last edited:
I think we have some simple minds here. UNC will not be beating by that large of margin 2 years from now. Playing UNC will do much more for recruiting than playing 2nd cousin from Cedar Falls.

I have nothing else to add, so I will let Ric Flair tell you "oh we're just Iowa" losers what's up:

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yjW9UXoKU2s[/ame]

completely disagree. Lets learn how to win again, and then start taking on stiffer competition in the non-conference schedule. We already play in the toughest or one of the toughest conferences in the country so why pile it on to begin the season?

+1. We already play 2 more conf games than almost all other conf, plus acc challenge plus built-in isu uni toughies, plus the big 10 is is good as any. Our schedule is and will be plenty tough enough