2012 Iowa v ISU

Hawkfromnorwalk

I'm not a big NFL guy and they only college football show on right now is a replay of the post game from last nights Wiscy/MSU game. So I have been scouring all the message boards and one thing I saw stuck out like a sore thumb. Over on CyFan they are already discussing next years team and their expected record. Seems a good majority of them think they are going to come into Kinnick next year and walk out with the trophy. Next year will be the 10 year anniversary of the Seneca Wallace game, and since then it's been all Hawkeyes when playing at Kinnick.

It's funny how a 6-6 season and needing 3OTs to beat Iowa in their house all of the sudden makes them world beaters. They like to focus on what Iowa is losing next year and not looking enough at what they lose as well. They have a decent defense this year, and probably one of the best linebacker tandems they have ever had over their with Knott and Klein. Those two return next season. However they don't recognize they lose chunks of their secondary and the main thug, I mean, player on DLine in Latimore. McNutt and Reiff are the main two losses on offense next year for Iowa. However we have some good depth at OLine so Reiff's departure should be at a minimum and with CJ stepping up this year he gives JVB another good target. I don't see much of a step back on the offensive side of the ball next year if at all. Add to that our O seems to hit on all cylinders at home. I think this matchup leans in favor of Iowa.

On the opposite side of things ISU loses some pieces of their OLine, including their main blocker Osemele. They also lose some senior production at the wideout position which may or may not be a bad thing since their receivers were about as good as dropping balls as ours were this year. It looks like they may have decent production at RB, especially with Shontrell coming back from injury. Barnett looks good, and is a QB that typically gives us fits. The defense ISU faced this year in the game will be different than the one they see next year, which may or may not be a good thing. Our DLine will almost totally be retooled. Alvis may not be back from his ACL tear so Bigach will probably be the only guy on the line who played in the 2011 ISU game. Our line that day wasn't very effective so I find it hard to believe we could really do worse, even with new players up front. Our LBs should be fantastic. Kirksey showed a lot this year and Morris will continue to develop. I think Alston and Derby are really going to add to the unit as well. We do lose Prater and Bernstine which are big losses however Bernstine didn't even play against ISU last year and we also had Castillo in doing CB work. I think the combo of Hyde and Lowery will end up being better than what Prater and Castillo were in this years game. Safety looks a little more shored up now that Hyde was moved back to CB. Miller came on as of late and hopefully whoever steps in opposite of him (I'm expecting Law) will hit the ground running. Overall though with the inexperience at DLine and the fact that Barnett is a good runner and thrower much like a poor mans Persa, I think ISU has the edge.

So next years game may end up more of a shoot out type game. The biggest x factor in this is having the game at home. This game for the most part the last decade has gone to the home team. I think the fans are going to make this a hard game for ISU coming in, and that should give Iowa the edge. I think ISU is definitely showing improvement under Rhoads but I don't see them coming into Kinnick and winning.

I look for a good game that could go either way. I'm not going to "analyze" it any more than that.

Why wouldn't ISU fans think they have a good chance?

I look for a good game that could go either way. I'm not going to "analyze" it any more than that.

Why wouldn't ISU fans think they have a good chance?

Why shouldn't Iowa fans think there is little to no chance ISU wins? Home teams have won this game more often then not. And in the last four at Kinnick Iowa hasn't lost.

ISU had one of the toughest schedules in the nation and got 6 wins.

Iowa on the other hand, one of the easier schedules and squeaked out 7 wins.

Quit comparing everything to little brother. Norwalk, your inferiority complex is amusing.

I'm not a big NFL guy and they only college football show on right now is a replay of the post game from last nights Wiscy/MSU game. So I have been scouring all the message boards and one thing I saw stuck out like a sore thumb. Over on CyFan they are already discussing next years team and their expected record. Seems a good majority of them think they are going to come into Kinnick next year and walk out with the trophy. Next year will be the 10 year anniversary of the Seneca Wallace game, and since then it's been all Hawkeyes when playing at Kinnick.

It's funny how a 6-6 season and needing 3OTs to beat Iowa in their house all of the sudden makes them world beaters. They like to focus on what Iowa is losing next year and not looking enough at what they lose as well. They have a decent defense this year, and probably one of the best linebacker tandems they have ever had over their with Knott and Klein. Those two return next season. However they don't recognize they lose chunks of their secondary and the main thug, I mean, player on DLine in Latimore. McNutt and Reiff are the main two losses on offense next year for Iowa. However we have some good depth at OLine so Reiff's departure should be at a minimum and with CJ stepping up this year he gives JVB another good target. I don't see much of a step back on the offensive side of the ball next year if at all. Add to that our O seems to hit on all cylinders at home. I think this matchup leans in favor of Iowa.

On the opposite side of things ISU loses some pieces of their OLine, including their main blocker Osemele. They also lose some senior production at the wideout position which may or may not be a bad thing since their receivers were about as good as dropping balls as ours were this year. It looks like they may have decent production at RB, especially with Shontrell coming back from injury. Barnett looks good, and is a QB that typically gives us fits. The defense ISU faced this year in the game will be different than the one they see next year, which may or may not be a good thing. Our DLine will almost totally be retooled. Alvis may not be back from his ACL tear so Bigach will probably be the only guy on the line who played in the 2011 ISU game. Our line that day wasn't very effective so I find it hard to believe we could really do worse, even with new players up front. Our LBs should be fantastic. Kirksey showed a lot this year and Morris will continue to develop. I think Alston and Derby are really going to add to the unit as well. We do lose Prater and Bernstine which are big losses however Bernstine didn't even play against ISU last year and we also had Castillo in doing CB work. I think the combo of Hyde and Lowery will end up being better than what Prater and Castillo were in this years game. Safety looks a little more shored up now that Hyde was moved back to CB. Miller came on as of late and hopefully whoever steps in opposite of him (I'm expecting Law) will hit the ground running. Overall though with the inexperience at DLine and the fact that Barnett is a good runner and thrower much like a poor mans Persa, I think ISU has the edge.

So next years game may end up more of a shoot out type game. The biggest x factor in this is having the game at home. This game for the most part the last decade has gone to the home team. I think the fans are going to make this a hard game for ISU coming in, and that should give Iowa the edge. I think ISU is definitely showing improvement under Rhoads but I don't see them coming into Kinnick and winning.

the fact that ISU beat Iowa has little to do with ISU fans feeling good about the team going forward. a small part, maybe for some, but the vast majority are seeing the latter part of the season as a reason to get excited for the future. obviously the OSU win was huge, but the tech win was pretty big too (in hindsight it's easy to say "well Tech isnt that good" but at the time they were ranked #20 and had just beaten OU), also ISU has looked very competitive since barnett took over. they were a few plays away from potentially beating another ranked team on the road yesterday as well. It's fairly obvious that Paul Rhoads has ISU headed in a positive direction. And lets not forget that Barnett has only played 5 games as a redshirt freshman. He is going to improve. ISU is stacked at RB and they will have a very strong defense next year, particularly at Linebacker. The only real question will be the DB's.

I think why some have a good feeling about going into IC next year and winning is that ISU appears to be on the up and up where as Iowa looks to be struggling. obviously the upcoming bowl games could change a lot of feelings about this, but we'll just have to see.

Last edited:
The game's not for about 9 months or so. So much can change between now and then that's analyzing it too far isn't going to tell you much.

The mere fact that it's at Kinnick tells me that at worst it will be a good game. 6-6 teams don't often come into Kinnick and blow Iowa out so I see no reason to be confident about victory.

the fact that ISU beat Iowa has little to do with ISU fans feeling good about the team going forward. a small part, maybe for some, but the vast majority are seeing the latter part of the season as a reason to get excited for the future. obviously the OSU win was huge, but the tech win was pretty big too (in hindsight it's easy to say "well Tech isnt that good" but at the time they were ranked #20 and had just beaten OU), also ISU has looked very competitive since barnett took over. they were a few plays away from potentially beating another ranked team on the road yesterday as well. It's fairly obvious that Paul Rhoads has ISU headed in a positive direction. And lets not forget that Barnett has only played 5 games as a redshirt freshman. He is going to improve. ISU is stacked at RB and they will have a very strong defense next year, particularly at Linebacker. The only real question will be the DB's.

I think why some have a good feeling about going into IC next year and winning is that ISU appears to be on the up and up where as Iowa looks to be struggling. obviously the upcoming bowl games could change a lot of feelings about this, but we'll just have to see.

It is easy to say Tech isn't that good. Because they aren't. Makes me wonder if OU is really any good, either. I know they are good....but a "good" OU doesn't get blown out like that - nor lose to TT at home.

It is easy to say Tech isn't that good. Because they aren't. Makes me wonder if OU is really any good, either. I know they are good....but a "good" OU doesn't get blown out like that - nor lose to TT at home.

either way they were ranked at the time and ISU spanked them on the road. winning big on the road against really anyone is something ISU hasnt done all that often. this is something else that has ISU fans feeling good and thinking positively about the future.

That loss is still bothering you, huh? It's selection sunday for bowl games, and you are thinking about playing ISU in 9 months?!?! That's a novel!

with the D being a big Question mark i could see another high scoring contest
i am not going to pencil a win for Iowa

...Ahh, but will Rhodes still be there?

Funny how Rhodes wins six games including one over FCS UNI and two others over bowl eligible teams, stutters his way through a few post game speeches and ISU is ready to put a statue of him in front of Jack Trice.

Mike Sherman wins six games at Texas A&M and is fired less than a week later.

Perspective folks!

Funny how Rhodes wins six games including one over FCS UNI and two others over bowl eligible teams, stutters his way through a few post game speeches and ISU is ready to put a statue of him in front of Jack Trice.

Mike Sherman wins six games at Texas A&M and is fired less than a week later.

Perspective folks!

It's funny how ISU was favored in 2 games all season and wins 6.
Perspective.

Ah, the low expectations excuse, that's why Ames is Ames and always will be. You had a great season, you won six games...and admittedly you actually have some decent talent!

Your team shows up every other week, gets trounced by multiple TD's to Baylor, an anemic Texas, a lifeless Texas A&M, a complete beat-down toan average Mizzou and comes back and wins a game they were not expected to the next...and fans like you are happy! Kudos to you for a great season, but again, you won six games, you eeked out a win over UNI, you beat an average Iowa team in 3OT and you played your tails off in a great W over OK State. The rest: TX Tech, Kansas and UConn have checked their equipment back in until next fall. Perspective...

Last edited:

Latest posts