2012-2013 Recruiting News

pin2win

@hagertony
2012-2013 Commitments/Transfers

Broc Berge (projected 197)
11th overall recruit by AWN/TOM
25th overall recruit by Intermat
Two-time Minnesota state champ
Runner up at 2012 USA Wrestling Junior Freestyle Nationals (lost to Sam Brooks)

Jake Marlin (projected 141)
79th overall recruit by Intermat
Four-time Iowa state champ

Brandon Sorenson (projected 149)
37th overall recruit by Intermat
69th overall recurit at AWN/TOM
3-time Iowa state champ
Runner-up at 2012 folkstyle junior nationals
All-American at 2012 freestyle junior nationals

Philip Laux (projected 125)
Transfer from Wisconsin
Two-time Iowa state champ

Aaron Bradley (projected 285)
2013 Pennsylvania AAA State Champ
2012 Beast of the East Runner-Up
2012 Pennsylvania AAA State Runner-Up

Doug Miner (projected 125)
2013 Iowa 2A State Champ

Last edited:
I'm sure Laux is a good kid but Gilman is our 25er for the next 4 years and Clark will be our 33er next 4 years. Just not sure it's a great fit for Laux? Nice to have the depth in the room though. Next year is our BIG recruiting class. We NEED Chance Marstellar and Sam Stoll. Chance has the Hawkeye attitude.

I'm sure Laux is a good kid but Gilman is our 25er for the next 4 years and Clark will be our 33er next 4 years. Just not sure it's a great fit for Laux? Nice to have the depth in the room though. Next year is our BIG recruiting class. We NEED Chance Marstellar and Sam Stoll. Chance has the Hawkeye attitude.

I hate to say it but Chance seems to be Penn State's to lose. Not to say we shouldn't make a run at him but I'm not getting my hopes up. Stoll on the other hand seems like a great fit and much more probable. I hope the coaches are also after Josh Llopez out of Maryland or Bo Nickal out of Texas to address 157 after St. John graduates.

Just bc Chance is from PA means Cael is going to get him or do you have any other knowledge? Lopez and Nickal be be nice gets too!

Just bc Chance is from PA means Cael is going to get him or do you have any other knowledge? Lopez and Nickal be be nice gets too!

I'm guessing he'll end up at Penn State not only because he is from PA but because he is close with many of the current Penn State wrestlers and seems to have very good relationships with many in the program. He also regularly wears Penn State attire which doesn't make me too hopeful. He's also not really at a need weight for the Hawks assuming he wrestles 174 in college since we have Evans, Meyer, and Klapprodt there and tying up scholarship. If he could make 165, it would make more sense although we have some solid guys there as well. He's the type of elite talent though that I think you should make as strong a push as possible, I'm just not seeing it in the cards and think it'd be a more efficient use of scholarship to allocate the huge sum of scholarship it'd likely take to sign him towards more need weights like 157/165, Hwt.

Where's Ramos gonna wrestle next year?

Simple mistake my bad. Yes Ramos will be here next year and hopefully as thee defending national champ. Wish we could figure out a way to get Gilman, Clark and Ramos in the line up next year but odds aren't great unless Tony jumped to 41 which he would be small at. Clark 33 and Gilman 25. However lets just focus on this year:)

where do you guys think we have the most gaps?

Gotta look at future lineups to answer that question:

2013-2014
125 - Clark (RS Fr) / Gilman (RS Fr) / Gurule (Jr) / Laux (Fr)
133 - Ramos (Sr) / Carton (RS Fr)
141 - Dwieza (Jr) / Ryan (RS Fr) / Marlin (Fr)
149 - Kelly (Jr) / Grothus (So) / Sorensen (Fr)
157 - St. John (Sr) / Rhoads (So)
165 - Moore (Jr) / Gillmor (Jr)
174 - Evans (Jr) / Klapprodt (So) / Meyer (RS Fr)
184 - Lofthouse (Sr) / Brooks (RS Fr)
197 - Burak (So) / Lira (Sr) / Berge (Fr)
HWT - Telford (Jr)

2014-2015
125 - Gilman (So) / Gurule (Sr) / Laux (RS Fr)
133 - Clark (So) / Carton (So)
141 - Dwieza (Sr) / Marlin (RS Fr) / Ryan (So)
149 - Sorensen (RS Fr) / Grothus (Jr)
157 - Kelly (Sr) / Rhoads (Jr)
165 - Moore (Sr) / Gillmor (Sr)
174 - Evans (Sr) / Meyer (So) / Klapprodt (Jr)
184 - Brooks (So) / Meyer (So)
197 - Burak (Jr) / Berge (RS Fr)
HWT - Telford (Sr)

HWT is the #1 need at this point. With apologies to Artie Bess, there's no one behind Telford. We seem to be pretty well stocked from 174-197 right now. Definitely a need for depth at 157/165. Not knowing what kind of late signees the Hawks will get with State tournaments wrapping up, but right now I'd rank it:

1) HWT
2) 157
3) 165
4) 149 (hopefully Soresen puts "the curse" to rest)
5) 174

My question is with 149 still the most glaring hole in the lineup and not looking to be fixed anytime in the immediate future, why not put the full court press on Destin McCauley who still seems very open to the idea of wrestling in college? I understand the guy has changed his wrestling plans for what seems to be about a dozen times and isn't exactly the most reliable but a talent like that seems worth the gamble of throwing a very aggressive offer at to solidify the team’s biggest hole and greatly improve our chances of topping Penn State for the title. He could step in and be a HUGE improvement next year. Sorensen could redshirt and then man 149 or 157 depending on if McCauley outgrows 149. Every weight seems pretty solid for the foreseeable future other than the hole at 149 and finding a replacement for Bobby at Hwt when he graduates. I would thrown all the scholarship money available at McCauley for 149/157 and then Stoll or Nick Nevills at Hwt and then call it good for a recruiting class. Signing McCauley would also prevent him from landing at Minnesota which would be a two-fold victory by increasing our team point potential and preventing another team title contender from increasing theirs by filling their relative hole (157).

Many people believe he's going to Neb. so who knows, maybe they did contact him and he informed them of his plan.
I doubt he goes to Minn. didn't seem like they were ever really a player in signing him and they have Ness for 2 more years. I doubt w/ Destin's olympic plans he would want to wrestle a weight higher than 149.

Intermat's 2013 Recruiting Class Rankings 5/29/13

1. Michigan
2. Virginia Tech
3. Pittsburgh
4. North Dakota State
5. Illinois
6. Nebraska
7. Penn State
8. Iowa
9. Missouri
10. North Carolina State
11. Ohio State