2011 Iowa Starting Lineup Becomes More Clear

Is Jonny Mullings that kid from Australia?

If so I remember watching video on that kid when he was being recruited. Seems like he could be another great punter for Iowa.

If so I remember watching video on that kid when he was being recruited. Seems like he could be another great punter for Iowa.

I am not a punting expert.

However, I was on the sidelines for four of Iowa's home games this year and watched him working out. It seemed like he has a LONG deliver, time wise, and was very erratic. But he is a first year punter...that comes with the territory. Guthrie was more consistent.

Mullings is indeed the exchange student from Australia with the ridiculous youtube video that somehow captivated our minds with punting.

Punting isn't exactly rocket science, and yet we see few talented punters these days. Among other things, it shows what a truly amazing talent Waterloo's Reggie Roby was. Anyone who saw his towering, booming punts and powerful FG's will likely never see anything quite like it again.

Still, when all a punter has to do is punt, why aren't there more quality punters? And more to the point, why can't Iowa expect to replace Ryan Donahue with someone with similar capabilities?

Anyone with a strong leg and a bit of coordination ought to be able to punt, and to learn to get the punt off quickly. After a whole season of working on nothing but punting, it's baffling to think the Aussie kid still doesn't have the mechanics of punting.

So if that's the case, maybe Iowa should adopt that rugby style punt that so many teams are using now. Maybe that would allow Mullings to feel more comfortable and actually get the job done.

Reggie was born with a punter's cannon for a leg and developed it well, booming balls wherever he could find some open space in Waterloo. He was an amazing talent.

Still, when all a punter has to do is punt, why aren't there more quality punters? And more to the point, why can't Iowa expect to replace Ryan Donahue with someone with similar capabilities?

Listen pal, legitimate Heisman candidates at the punting position just don't come around every day. It's not like going to the store to buy another gallon of milk when the elegibility on the one in your fridge expires.

I just hope Iowa stops trying to be "balanced" at all costs on offense.
Do what works.

Several times this season, Iowa "out-thought" themselves.

I placed 2nd in punt, pass & kick in Jr High (largely on the strength of my punting)...does that count?

Oh yeah, well...

I got called twice in one game for roughing the punter AND I have a smart phone. You're just lucky I didn't stay in a Holiday Inn Express last night, or this wouldn't even be close... ;)

FWIW, a former Hawkeye QB (RR) thinks Derby has a shot at the job this coming fall. Before I get blasted, I agree that Derby, at this point, seems suited for a position change and he might see the writing on the wall that his quickest way to the field isn't as a QB. I'm just passing on what I heard.

You never know, the dude is a crazy athlete and had an offer list from blue chippers a mile long.

FWIW, a former Hawkeye QB (RR) thinks Derby has a shot at the job this coming fall. Before I get blasted, I agree that Derby, at this point, seems suited for a position change and he might see the writing on the wall that his quickest way to the field isn't as a QB. I'm just passing on what I heard.

You never know, the dude is a crazy athlete and had an offer list from blue chippers a mile long.

Well, all I saw of Derby this fall was brief snippets in warm ups. This spring will tell the tale for him I think.

Donahue did a nice job punting for Iowa. However, what would be so difficult about coaching a punter to kick the ball out of bounds in the corner once in a while? I think Iowa gives up too many yards every season by consistently punting the ball into the end zone.

I just hope JVB can read a defense and not settle on his primary like Stanzi did so many times in his career.

It's debatable, but Iowa probably wins at Northwestern if Stanzi doesn't throw that pick in the 4th Q.

I would argue that, for reasons not always related to Donahue, our punting game this year wasn't consistent. I know we'll drop off next season, in this area, but I don't think it will be as much as people fear.

I just hope JVB can read a defense and not settle on his primary like Stanzi did so many times in his career.

It's debatable, but Iowa probably wins at Northwestern if Stanzi doesn't throw that pick in the 4th Q.

i would argue with you and say stanzi settle for the short dump this season more than his primary