2011 Depth Chart

Section136

Now that we have our recruiting class inked and for the most part know who will be with the team come next fall, the only logical thing to do next is predict our lineup for next year. Here is my stab at it:

QB- Vandenburg, Weinke
RB- Coker, Johnson/Coe
FB-Rogers
WR- McNutt, Martin-Manley
WR- Davis, Hillyer
TE- Herman, Fiedorowicz
LT- Reiff, Orne
LG- McMillian, Van Sloten
C- Ferentz, Bofelli
RG- Gettis, Scherff
RT- Zusevics, Donnal

DE- Binns, Daniel
DT- Daniels, Davis
DT- Bigach, Cooper
DE- Alvis, Raymon
LB- Nielsen, DiBona
LB- Morris, Davis
LB- Kirksey, Poggi
CB- Prater, Castillo
CB- Hyde, Campbell
FS- Miller, Nielsen
SS- Bernstine, Law

I wouldnt be surprised if Walsh or Blythe get some playing time at either of the guard positions.
Not sure if Walsh is going to be a true freshman, but it would be very un-Iowa like to waste a whole year that Blythe could be red shirted. Especially for offensive linemen at Iowa, there are exceptions like Reiff and others I can't pick off the top of my brain, but the majority redshirt their Freshmen. Of course with all the injuries, the redshirt has been burned in the past. (yes, I found some wood to knock on)

I wouldnt be surprised if Walsh or Blythe get some playing time at either of the guard positions.

I would be surprised. Don't get me wrong ... I love the potential of Walsh and Blythe ... however, I also love the potential of Donnal and particularly Scherff.

And besides ... I still predict that Boffeli is going to develop into an "monster" for Iowa. Boffeli and Van Sloten were already seeing some quality reps this past season and they were only RS FR. I look for them to continue to develop and build from the experience that they received!

We may see quite a few true Freshman make an impact this year. I think Cooper and Law or Campbell on defense...Coe and perhaps Blythe or Walsh on offense and Canzeri on special teams.

I see Canzeri in the end zone before October ends. We need speed.

other exceptions of true freshman IA lineman to play would be bulaga, richardson and mike jones--all were rated as high as Walsh...actually all 3 of them were 5 star guys.

I don't think the staff wastes a year of Walsh and Blythe especially when they brought in a Juco guard like Heier.

I think any true freshman that may get on the field are mostly going to come on the defensive side of the ball.

The JUCO OL should be in the mix or why would the coaches recruit him, but why would we need to burn the redshirt on both Blythe and Walsh with the kind of depth Iowa has next year. Let Doyle shape them into OL for a year first.

We may see quite a few true Freshman make an impact this year. I think Cooper and Law or Campbell on defense...Coe and perhaps Blythe or Walsh on offense and Canzeri on special teams.

I see Canzeri in the end zone before October ends. We need speed.

There definitely SHOULD be the OPPORTUNITY for young guys to EARN early playing time. However, guys will have to prove themselves ... show that they're willing to work (the Iowa way) ... and work their way onto the field.

On the D ...

CB: I see there being a chance for 1 TR FR to see early action there. I'd anticipate that Campbell could be a front-runner there. However, I wouldn't sleep on Lomax making it one heck of a competition.

S: Law will see both positional action and action on special teams provided he proves that he's ready. We'll need him to be ready ...

LB: I haven't heard much about Nielsen's rehab ... his health will be huge. If Nielsen remains out ... Iowa is going to need to fill 2 starting spots and TR FR could DEFINITELY put themselves into position to eventually earn a starting gig just as Morris did last year. Furthermore, LBs play a HUGE role when it comes to helping out our special teams. Thus, I look for no fewer than 2 TR FR LBs to see early action.

DL: Provided that Iowa's existing depth can actually get healthy and can continue to develop ... I look for Iowa's TR FR DEs to redshirt. However, I think that Cooper could potentially push for early action. I don't think that Cooper is a "shoe-in" to see early action ... but I wouldn't dismiss the possibility.

SUMMARY: There exists the potential for FIVE TR FR guys on the D to see early action. That's striking considering that Lowery, Hitchens, Miller, Morris, and Kirksey each saw early action as TR FR in 2010. In other words ... Iowa's D could be in an interesting "situation" in 2012 ... where we're BOTH young and pretty experienced on D (not unlike how the D was in '08).

I'll address the O later ....

I think DiBona will probably play the other outside LB spot (wherever Hunter played--I think SLB). He struggled in coverage last year after replacing Nielsen.

I think DiBona will probably play the other outside LB spot (wherever Hunter played--I think SLB). He struggled in coverage last year after replacing Nielsen.

AFAcademyHawk -

I anticipate that DiBona will definitely compete for the starting WILL LB spot ... however, I really don't think that ANYBODY has the starting WILL spot "locked down."

If Nielsen is healthy ... I have little doubt that he'll own the starting LEO LB spot (Iowa's strong-side LB spot). However, if Nielsen isn't good to go ... I have no idea who we have who truly "fits" the spot. I wonder how well Getz fits at the spot and how he's developing at LB ...

I would say you missed a few things on your 2 deeps.

I think Shumpert is going to be a good WR and could backup. I also think Hillyer and Grant could get some time there if they can block.

Also, one of the DEs will be Lebron Daniel.
And B.J. Lowery will back up at CB because that kid is a stud, though I think Campbell will see time too.

I also think there is a plethora of options at safety.

I would say you missed a few things on your 2 deeps.

I think Shumpert is going to be a good WR and could backup. I also think Hillyer and Grant could get some time there if they can block.

Also, one of the DEs will be Lebron Daniel.
And B.J. Lowery will back up at CB because that kid is a stud, though I think Campbell will see time too.

I also think there is a plethora of options at safety.

There is only room for 4 WR's on a 2-deep and I have Hillyer listed.

I have Daniel as a back-up DE as I think Alvis will win the job. Pretty much a toss-up at this point, just my guess.

There is only room for 4 WR's on a 2-deep and I have Hillyer listed.

I have Daniel as a back-up DE as I think Alvis will win the job. Pretty much a toss-up at this point, just my guess.

I know what you did. I'm saying I think Shumpert is backup WR, though I think the young guys will play. I think Daniel is the clear starter since he played some the last few years. I know that there are only 2 at each position for a 2 deep. Just saying where I think you're mistaken.

My only thought was Shumpert in the 2-deeps over Hillyer. Shumpert played as a TR FR, I don't see an incomming freshman passing him on the 2-deeps. I'll be happy if one plays well enough to do it though.

AFAcademyHawk -

I anticipate that DiBona will definitely compete for the starting WILL LB spot ... however, I really don't think that ANYBODY has the starting WILL spot "locked down."

If Nielsen is healthy ... I have little doubt that he'll own the starting LEO LB spot (Iowa's strong-side LB spot). However, if Nielsen isn't good to go ... I have no idea who we have who truly "fits" the spot. I wonder how well Getz fits at the spot and how he's developing at LB ...

If nothing else, we could probably move Morris to LEO and plug Bruce Davis in at MIKE. Morris is probably the next best coverage guy out of our linebackers.

My only thought was Shumpert in the 2-deeps over Hillyer. Shumpert played as a TR FR, I don't see an incomming freshman passing him on the 2-deeps. I'll be happy if one plays well enough to do it though.

That was my feeling as well. Hillyer is probably a year or two away, IMO. But I think his potential is tremendous, possibly another McNutt-like receiver.