• 5 to 7

Votes: 13 10.6%

Votes: 22 17.9%

Votes: 13 10.6%

Votes: 6 4.9%
  • 11+ and pass out the FlavorAid

Votes: 68 55.3%

• Total voters
I think it all hinges on who improves and how much. Who knows what White and Oglesby can contribute, but for Iowa to move to the middle of the pack in the big ten, it has to be more than the Cartwright and Basabe show. Regardless of turnover in the league, every team will have enough athletes to scheme against Cartwright and Basabe. Can Gatens step up? Can McCabe gain a half step and find his game? Has May hit his ceiling? With Payne back, will Marble flourish as a slasher?

Starting to think ahead a bit to next year's basketball season...

Michigan & Wisconsin should be front runners

MSU will be down talent wise, but hard to think their production will be worse than it was this year, chemistry wise.

No one has done less with more than Illinois, who loses significant points

Tubby on the outs at Minnesota?

Indiana seems to be spinning its wheels real fast and going nowhere

Talor Battle is gone from PSU...he made them dangerous.

Purdue loses Johnson & Moore, one of the best duos in the nation

OSU loses Diebler, Lighty & Lauderdale..we'll see if Sullinger stays...Buford could look at the pros too.

NW? Never, ever lose both games in a year to NW ever again.

The league next year is not going to be near what it was this year with regards to the number of good to very good teams...its was as competitive this year as it has been in perhaps 20 years.

That's good news for an Iowa program that lacked a lot of experience in its rotation this year, in addition to the Payne injury.

Iowa will be a better team next year, with a senior PG and one of the three best interior players in the league...I just dont think Gatens has another off shooting year. McCabe will be more consistent, I believe Marble will be much better...May should certainly be more consistent...I think Brommer can give this team some good minutes....then who knows from the newcomers...

With an Iowa team that will be better and a league that is going to fall back a bit, what should be a reasonable expectation?

Vote in the poll

Wisconsin loses Leuer and OSU restocks with a nice recruiting class. I think Iowa will finish in the middle of the pack

I voted 8 B1G wins for next year. I don't really think Iowa is going to get better (We return 4 starters),

Here is the thing you don't seem to understand FG. When you return most of your starters, you are supposed to get better. That is one of the things that has made us so bad the past few years. We didn't return many of our starters.

Here is the thing you don't seem to understand FG. When you return most of your starters, you are supposed to get better. That is one of the things that has made us so bad the past few years. We didn't return many of our starters.

Not just starter, how long has it been since they've returned their best or top two players from the previous year? It's one thing if that happens because of graduation, it's another when your best player is a SO or JR and doesn't come back the next year. Especially when you haven't been able to recruit like Duke, Kansas or UNC.

My early take on the league is:

1. OSU- even if Sully leaves,they will return Buford,Craft,DeShaun Thomas,Sibert,Lenzelle Smith and have 4 top 50 recruits coming in,including two 6'9'' guys. If Sully does return,I think they will be preseason #1 in the country.

2. Michigan...everyone returns and they have it rolling.
3. Purdue...Hummel is back,and LewJack is tough
4-7. Wisky,Illini,MSU and Minny in some order.
8. Iowa...NIT bound.
9. Neb..welcome to the Big Ten
10. NW...missing Juice.
11. IU...slow rebuild for Crean
12. PSU...Frazier only returning starter.

I see Iowa winning maybe 9-10 non-conference,and maybe 8 conference games..getting to 18 wins overall,and making the NIT.
This is all predicated on Iowa getting two contributors this spring,and the key guys staying injury-free....hey,it can happen,look at Illini,OSU,Wis,and Michigan this year...no injuries,and on to the NCAA. Maybe it will be Iowa's turn to stay healthy.

I did misspeak before, when I should have said "We won't be that much better", but I understand your point. I understand that you get better when you return starters, but what I am saying is that the starters we have now were not that great to begin with (hence, our record). Also, replacing the starter we are losing will almost certainly lose production at that position.

Now, I picked them to win 8 games next year, because I do think they will get better. In fact, doubling your wins is a pretty amazing thing to do. But That is an optimistic prediction, and I think something like 6 is certainly something that wouldn't suprise me.

10 wins, Iowa will be very, very tough at home, with the talent losses in the Big Ten they could win all of their home games. Look for them to be able to go on the road and beat PSU, Indiana, Illinois and NW.
This is contingent on what Iowa brings in during the Spring, supposedly Iowa is getting someone on Monday, we will see. The prediction is based on getting two quality players. If Iowa is unable to secure either of the Top 150 players they are pursuing, still put them down for 8 and the NIT, 10 should get them in the NCAA.

This is really hard to predict without knowing who Iowa willsign for the two remaining scholarships. If we bring in a juco big who can start and a solid wing or pg then that will make a world of difference. We had 3 newcomers in the starting lineup today.

I voted for 8 conference wins, which I think is realistic, given the fact that we were close in several games this year that could have gone either way, such as the (2) OT losses by 3 points, and the 2 close games we had where we lost by 2 or 3 to quality teams who are losing key players. We were not that far away from 15 wins this year overall, so I don't think it's unrealistic to expect 16 or 17 wins total and a close to .500 record overall. Cole will be hard to replace, but we have a good nucleus to build on.

I did misspeak before, when I should have said "We won't be that much better", but I understand your point. I understand that you get better when you return starters, but what I am saying is that the starters we have now were not that great to begin with (hence, our record). Also, replacing the starter we are losing will almost certainly lose production at that position.

Now, I picked them to win 8 games next year, because I do think they will get better. In fact, doubling your wins is a pretty amazing thing to do. But That is an optimistic prediction, and I think something like 6 is certainly something that wouldn't suprise me.

The team should be quite a bit better. Another year of gelling as a team along with the upside of Marble and Basabe.

Last edited:
I'll go with 7.

BC & MB are a good inside outside combo.

Marble & May are the keys. They have the God given talent to be players that really hurt teams with their ability to get to the rim.

Marble is just so raw right now and May has to be more consistent.

If those two hit the gym and work hard this summer I think both guys have an opportunity to be very good players here and that win total could climb.

I'm assuming Jon meant conference wins. I hardly doubt that saying Iowa will win more than 11 TOTAL games is "drinking kool-aid".

I'd say they'll get 9-11 non conf. wins and then add another 6-8. 15 wins on the low side and 17 on the high end.

I can see us NIT bound with 16-18 wins next year as a ceiling. I wouldn't be unhappy with a 14-15 win season either.

I think the Hawkeyes have a winning record next year and we make the NIT. I will be very, very happy with that.

I'm assuming Jon meant conference wins. I hardly doubt that saying Iowa will win more than 11 TOTAL games is "drinking kool-aid".

I'd say they'll get 9-11 non conf. wins and then add another 6-8. 15 wins on the low side and 17 on the high end.

Sounds about right. I hope we "Hoiberg" up our non-con to let the guys get a taste for winning.

Latest posts