2 things from yesterday

Charley Jones and Nico Ragaini, who Know where the Pylon is
Charley was out of bounds in Space but his feet were airborne
The announcer kept saying he was out of bounds

I was confused on the Jones touchdown as were many others in the stands. I thought for sure replay was going to over turn it since the ball was well out of bounds when his hand hit the pylon. How was that ruled a touchdown?

I was confused on the Jones touchdown as were many others in the stands. I thought for sure replay was going to over turn it since the ball was well out of bounds when his hand hit the pylon. How was that ruled a touchdown?

I am not certain, but Charlie wasn't officially out of bounds. He was airborne and his feet and the ball were in space, But over the goal line if it extended beyond the sideline.
The pylon must be the key, he touched the pylon while in space and was over the goal line.

God Bless the PYLON and Charlie's Savvy, Hang Time, and COOL

I am not certain, but Charlie wasn't officially out of bounds. He was airborne and his feet and the ball were in space, But over the goal line if it extended beyond the sideline.
The pylon must be the key, he touched the pylon while in space and was over the goal line.

God Bless the PYLON and Charlie's Savvy, Hang Time, and COOL
Guessing the Ref who signaled TD saw the pylon get hit and thought the ball hit it (even though it was in fact his other hand). Then the Replay Official didn't see enough to overturn it.
But I absolutely LOVE Charlie's impact on this team!!! Best punt return man IMO since Tim Dwight wore #6!!

Terry Roberts will start Saturday vs. Purdue, opposite of Matt Hankins. Jack Koerner says Roberts is ready. Riley Moss out, but hopeful to return after bye week.

KF said the injury happened during the play, presumably when his knee hit the ground as he was diving for the interception. That could be a potential mechanism for a PCL sprain.

Here is an explanation of a football PCL sprain and potential recovery time...everything looks pretty spot on in the article, though in my understanding PCL sprains are more commonly associated with hyperflexion than hyperextension (though both cruciates do tighten with hyperextension):

From that example, Decker missed 1 game, but of course everything depends on the severity of the sprain.

Guessing the Ref who signaled TD saw the pylon get hit and thought the ball hit it (even though it was in fact his other hand). Then the Replay Official didn't see enough to overturn it.
But I absolutely LOVE Charlie's impact on this team!!! Best punt return man IMO since Tim Dwight wore #6!!

The more I think about it the more it makes sense. He was airborne, he grabbed the pylon with his right hand while holding the football with his left over the plane of the goal line. By the time he did officially touch out of bounds the ball and over half his body was past the goal line. All that really matters is where the ball is, so where would they put the ball? He can't actually be ruled out of bounds until a part of him hits out of bounds.

The more I think about it the more it makes sense. He was airborne, he grabbed the pylon with his right hand while holding the football with his left over the plane of the goal line. By the time he did officially touch out of bounds the ball and over half his body was past the goal line. All that really matters is where the ball is, so where would they put the ball? He can't actually be ruled out of bounds until a part of him hits out of bounds.
I am 99% sure that is the rule in the NFL. If the ball is over the plane of the goal line, it is a touchdown as long as no body part is out of bounds or touching down in the field of play. The goal line extends outward in this case.

Not sure about the college rule but I think it must be the same given that this was replayed and it was not overturned.

From what I have seen the key was that he reached out and got his right hand into the pylon thus "activating" the extension of the goal line.

I am 99% sure that is the rule in the NFL. If the ball is over the plane of the goal line, it is a touchdown as long as no body part is out of bounds or touching down in the field of play. The goal line extends outward in this case.

Not sure about the college rule but I think it must be the same given that this was replayed and it was not overturned.

Come to think of it we see this all the time when players are reaching out for the first down marker.

I think Desmond King probably deserves to be in that discussion. Statistically he's actually better than Chuck Jones...although DKing's impact might have "felt" like more because we were coming off of 5 (?) straight years of fair catching EVERYTHING (sure handed Sandeman and Vandeberg). No denying Jones is gift (from Buffalo) we'll take 8 days a week though!

Of course, I think Jones was out of bounds at the 3 inch line.
But why overturn it? We've had the most devastating QB sneak over the last half dozen years.
And that was without that animal we have playing center now.

Latest posts