2 Things Ferentz Needs to Fix the Program

DunderMifflinHk

1) Norm needs to retire. It is not because he doesn't know what he doing or because of his schemes. Its because I don't think he has the energy to do it anymore and I don't blame him. At his age and with his diabetes its tough for him to be an effected defensive coordinator. We need someone who is on the sidelines and get get the defense pumped up and get in their face when they need an a$$ chewing. Also I don't really know how much recruiting Norm does these days with his condition. It has to be tough for him to travel and get out and meet recruits. This by no means is to put down Norm. He's been great for us but I think it's time for a change.

2) Hire a special teams coach. Special teams has been horrendous the last few years. We used to win games with special teams and now we lose games due to special teams. No excuse here because it is not getting it done.

What do you think?

I don't think anyone really knows.
Would new coaches do what they want or run what KF wants.
That's the billion $ question.

I tend to lean towards same scheme with new coaches, but no one knows the answer.

Million Dollar Question is this:

Can you name the DC at Oklahoma THE ONLY time they won a National Title under Stoops? (remember it was 2000)

http://www.cfbreference.com/coaches/detail/25-mike-stoops/

Above should Answer it for you! He was Associate Head Coach too! Bring Him In!!!

Below are the Years Mike was DC! Enjoy:

2000 Bob Stoops 13–0 8–0 1 W Orange â€* 1
2001 Bob Stoops 11–2 6–2 2 W Cotton 6
2002 Bob Stoops 12–2 6–2 1 W Rose â€* 5
2003 Bob Stoops 12–2 8–0 1 L Sugar â€* 3

I agree with the D-coordinator change. Norm is a legend, but very few of our guys look pumped out there. I remember 2001, it seemed like our guys were always going for the big hit or big play within the scheme. Now, it looks like they're scrimmaging.

Won't matter if Norm retires. Kirk won't hire an outsider. Phil Parker will be promoted and Iowa will likely continue to run essentially the same defensive scheme.

And you can forget about a special teams coach, too.

The talent isn't there this yr...just not there. Need to keep talent on the team and recruit better.

i really like the cover 2 and believe it is one of the best schemes. it is kf that chooses the scheme and the assistants execute. norm has run blitzing schemes also as well as kok running more pass heavy 3 and 4 wide sets. but i agree that with his failing health norm may need to retire and just be a good presence around the program. i think with defense the coordinator should be on the sidelines and ever since norm has been in the booth our d has seemed to get worse.

a spec team coord. could be useful but i think kf has a little disconnect with his team at times and with how they do specials i think he should do them to make him more connected to them. plus they use a lot of rs frosh and true frosh for these so it will get the young guys playing the hardest for the hc and push the older guys.

Mike Stoops would be awesome, we need some fire and some attitude more than anything.

We also need a new O coordinator. Okeef isn't terrible but Iowas offense just seems to be always struggling and perpetually out of sync. Seriously, how many times are we going to complete passes short of the marker on third down?

1) Norm needs to retire. It is not because he doesn't know what he doing or because of his schemes. Its because I don't think he has the energy to do it anymore and I don't blame him. At his age and with his diabetes its tough for him to be an effected defensive coordinator. We need someone who is on the sidelines and get get the defense pumped up and get in their face when they need an a$$ chewing. Also I don't really know how much recruiting Norm does these days with his condition. It has to be tough for him to travel and get out and meet recruits. This by no means is to put down Norm. He's been great for us but I think it's time for a change.

2) Hire a special teams coach. Special teams has been horrendous the last few years. We used to win games with special teams and now we lose games due to special teams. No excuse here because it is not getting it done.

What do you think?

Agreed.

Hate to say it but Norm needs to step down for health reasons only. Would love to keep him around with advisory role of some sort if possible.

Bring in DC who can also coach LB. Move Wilson to ST ONLY.

Wilson coaches THE RUNNING BACKS as well as ST, Stoops played for the Hawks and started coachin under Fry, so he is not a outsider, maybe by Ferentz standards but not the program, plus i feel it would give Iowa a recruiting edge in Ohio and maybe Texas or just give him California and the SW to recruit

Wilson coaches THE RUNNING BACKS as well as ST, Stoops played for the Hawks and started coachin under Fry, so he is not a outsider, maybe by Ferentz standards but not the program, plus i feel it would give Iowa a recruiting edge in Ohio and maybe Texas or just give him California and the SW to recruit

Wilson coaches LB. Erb coaches Running Backs. Both coach ST.

Below are the Years Mike was DC! Enjoy:

2000 Bob Stoops 13–0 8–0 1 W Orange â€* 1
2001 Bob Stoops 11–2 6–2 2 W Cotton 6
2002 Bob Stoops 12–2 6–2 1 W Rose â€* 5
2003 Bob Stoops 12–2 8–0 1 L Sugar â€* 3
You might be winning me over. We still don't get Oklahoma talent, though.

We could have Bill Belichick run our D and Sean Payton run our O and I don't think it would matter much. Perhaps we'd keep our heads out of our rear ends on special teams and probably win the Minnesota game, who knows maybe even pull out the Iowa St W in 3OT (or not even be in OT in the first place), then all of a sudden we're 8-4 and things "appear" better.

I guess my point is that our talent level is...below par...to be kind. It's way off from our 2002-04 era, you combine less talent with schemes that are pretty easy to prepare for and...voila...you have November 2011! We need better players, plain and simple. Too many kids from Kalona, Humboldt, Des Moines, Denison (freshman!), Solon (sophomore!) that we are really relying upon to play good. I think there is a place for those kids to help contribute, but difficult for me to sit here and expect those kids to be difference makers in the B1G.

the problem with trick plays, it always make someone look like a fool and knows very little about the game and always some coach is raked over the coals,
in this case Kill made the Iowa staff look stupid by getting it to work, face it he caught the coaches with their collective pants down, and i would be willing to bet anything that nobody saw it coming, but had it not worked Iowa may have won the game and Kill would be the one being raked over the coals by the Gopher fans for even trying with that much time on the clock, that's why they are called trick or fake plays, if they work you are a genious the other coach look like he knows nothing about the game

I thought it would be 3 things. don't tell your team to have an int on your half of the field, don't tell your team to fumble a kickoff and don't tell your team to fumble in the red zone.

I don't think anyone really knows.
Would new coaches do what they want or run what KF wants.
That's the billion $ question.

I tend to lean towards same scheme with new coaches, but no one knows the answer.

I guess if KF wants to not allow his DC to run the defense then he should make himself the Dc and save a salary for the athletic department. What bothers me about Norm is the fact he doesn't recruit on the road, which in my opinion, really hurts getting better players on campus.

I agree with this, but mostly because of the fact that Norm can't recruit. People hate on O'Keefe but he has landed some good players in recruiting.

Latest posts