3. 3173 Albert Young
4. 2977 Tavian Banks
5. 2872 Akrum Wadley
6. 2760 Fred Russell
7. 2602 Mark Weisman
8. 2562 Tony Stewart
9. 2555 Owen Gill
10 2551 Tyler Goodson

When I look at that Top 10 list and think about the greats on the list, the one name that I scratch my head on and shake my head is Akrum Wadley.

Yes, I thought Akrum was a great Hawkeye running back. I was urprised he didn't make it further than he did in the professional ranks. He didn't make the money he thought he deserved and there's the rub. By joining the lawsuit I always felt he joined to try and get that money he didn't earn on the field. Even his mother didn't want him involved.

But the truly saddest part of it all, at least IMO, is that now he'll never be invited to be part of any Hawkeye program activities again, he'll never be an honorary captain, anything like that. Just like Ronnie Harmon.

When I look at that Top 10 list and think about the greats on the list, the one name that I scratch my head on and shake my head is Akrum Wadley.

Yes, I thought Akrum was a great Hawkeye running back. I was urprised he didn't make it further than he did in the professional ranks. He didn't make the money he thought he deserved and there's the rub. By joining the lawsuit I always felt he joined to try and get that money he didn't earn on the field. Even his mother didn't want him involved.

But the truly saddest part of it all, at least IMO, is that now he'll never be invited to be part of any Hawkeye program activities again, he'll never be an honorary captain, anything like that. Just like Ronnie Harmon.

The thing that strikes me a bit....
It's been years since we saw a Shaw/Banks/Young type of back who rarely is tackled for a loss, rarely tackled for no gain, occasionally only getting 2....but way most often getting 3-4. Also frequently....4-5 times a game getting like 8-11 yards. And maybe twice a game cracking one for 20+ or even 60.

And I'm not saying this is "Brain's fault". We say that the game has passed Kirk. But, I can't think of too many teams that had backs that performed like this. Sure, you get Corums/Barkleys/McCafferys here and there. But as good as Betts/Young/Shaw were....so much more common across NCAAF when they played. Not saying they're remotely close to a dime a dozen. You end up comparing those 3 to the Ron Daynes/Barry Sanders/Herschel Walkers et. al. So, since we haven't seen a back like this....it's because Kirk's maybe a little more in line with contemporary offenses than we think?

The last time a runningback even remotely close to moving the needle similar to Dayne was maybe Ezekial Elliot? Corum, AS GOOD HE WAS....and I think he's one of the best backs in college football in a dozen years.....was not the 'feature' of that offense.

I like Johnson a lot. He's not going to wind up statistically a top Iowa back. But, neither did Greene. And I could argue he was every bit as good as the top 3 because of when he played. Johnson, same way. If his year plays out like this, (and doesn't come back for another taste), he *could* be one of the best backs we've seen....ALL things considered.

Clearly, to me, a different game these days and runningbacks are somewhat relegated to setting up the pass. Not gonna, we've needed that. Either the pass to set up the run, or the run to set up the pass. Complimentary offense, in complimentary football.

Trying not to get my hopes up. But, I at least feel better.

Hate to say this, if only because it reveals my expectation for the OS game, but if Johnson can put up 100+ yards, i may just walk away from that game with half a smile. Beyond that, i expect lots of pain and the need for a bottle of Beam……..

Latest posts