2 capable running backs and OLine came to life; mostly really good defense

uihawk82

I am just flushing this game where the hawks played really well at times, too bad for the defense they gave up an opening and closing scoring TD drive which is so Iowa on defense, not sure why the hawks were not doubling Robinson on that last drive. The offense sputtered but then did really well but too many mistakes, the botched center exchange on 4th down, 3 picks, wow.

The Williams guys looked really good, Gavin with a good burst, both with good moves and power.
Both Petras and Padilla have to get better or it is Labas or another qb needs to takeover. Petras not seeing that blitz and no one picking up that last blitz is bad.

OLIne picked up the pace with mainly straight ahead type blocking. I thought the running game was looking better and averaging 4+ to 5 yards a carry most of the day. And I think Kent. defense is not that great.

BFerentz might have called his worst half game in the first half but then decided (or Kirk decided) to run the ball and he called a much better game in the second half with some good screen plays, even a fake right and throw the screen to the left screen double type of screen play we usually never do.

Need a goto receiver for sure, or a pair like IKM and Brandon Smith types, one on each side of the field.

Well a year like this next year will be great.

BFerentz might have called his worst half game in the first half but then decided (or Kirk decided) to run the ball and he called a much better game in the second half with some good screen plays, even a fake right and throw the screen to the left screen double type of screen play we usually never do.
Stupid take, your BF hatred is blinding you. Petras is a bad QB, and Padilla is worse. We need a QB. That is all. These guys make Stanley look like Tua. This team wins this game today, and is competitive in all their losses with a QB. If the OL that showed up today looks like the OL week one next year and we have someone behind center whose name doesn't start with P, I like our chances at getting back to Indy.

Edit: I really honed in on my criticism, so let me give you something more constructive to chew on. The Running Backs and the OL looked excellent. Best our running game has looked against a quality opponent in years. Whatever they did in the running game today needs to be the standard going forward. If we get a good QB and develop the young WRs 9-10 wins is realistic and achievable.

Last edited:
I am just flushing this game where the hawks played really well at times, too bad for the defense they gave up an opening and closing scoring TD drive which is so Iowa on defense, not sure why the hawks were not doubling Robinson on that last drive. The offense sputtered but then did really well but too many mistakes, the botched center exchange on 4th down, 3 picks, wow.

The Williams guys looked really good, Gavin with a good burst, both with good moves and power.
Both Petras and Padilla have to get better or it is Labas or another qb needs to takeover. Petras not seeing that blitz and no one picking up that last blitz is bad.

OLIne picked up the pace with mainly straight ahead type blocking. I thought the running game was looking better and averaging 4+ to 5 yards a carry most of the day. And I think Kent. defense is not that great.

Need a goto receiver for sure, or a pair like IKM and Brandon Smith types, one on each side of the field.

Well a year like this next year will be great.
Really? Who did we beat that was really, really good this year? Wisconsin, Michigan, and I guess if you thought the bowl game was worth winning……… Kentucky. Yep shit rolling down leg when the games really mattered.

Again, this season who did we beat that was really really good?

After what happened to Michigan vs Alabama? You really have to question the quality of our conference. I think the sports media deliberately blows up our conference to keep eyes on the tube. Its all about money.

I laugh at the BTN. During the basketball and football season they try to hype every team in the conference regardless of whether they are weak or not.

Did like the O line picking up steam. Even got 9 yds when KY had their entire D in the box to stop us 2nd to last drive. Should have went for it hind site 20/20.

QB is a huge problem. Neither of the two P guys should see the field next year. I honestly don't know what the ol Capn is going to do next year. Probably the wrong move...

Did like the O line picking up steam. Even got 9 yds when KY had their entire D in the box to stop us 2nd to last drive. Should have went for it hind site 20/20.

QB is a huge problem. Neither of the two P guys should see the field next year. I honestly don't know what the ol Capn is going to do next year. Probably the wrong move...
Hawks mn is right about QB. We gave QB alot of lead way this year because of young line. Today he had a good pocket and time to throw. Missed a wide wide open Ragaini .....not even close...at the 6 minute mark in 3rd and again at the 13 minute mark in 4th. Screws up a 4th and inches by fumbling and last interception he panicked instead of stepping up in the pocket. Need to move on

Really? Who did we beat that was really, really good this year? Wisconsin, Michigan, and I guess if you thought the bowl game was worth winning……… Kentucky. Yep shit rolling down leg when the games really mattered.

Again, this season who did we beat that was really really good?

After what happened to Michigan vs Alabama? You really have to question the quality of our conference. I think the sports media deliberately blows up our conference to keep eyes on the tube. Its all about money.

I laugh at the BTN. During the basketball and football season they try to hype every team in the conference regardless of whether they are weak or not.
So, because we recruit and coach up players better than the teams we beat this season those victories are meaningless. Take an undergrad course in logic. Several posters here should join you.

I find it difficult to find fault with Spence on that frantic Hurry Up, Jack play

With a TO sitting unused

Unused, I say

Set up a play to get within FG range

Not that it would have worked

But Odds are that it would have been a bit better

Wow. Heartbreaker. Love the courage from the O line and RB’s to regroup and dominate after a horrible first half. Our tight ends were awesome. Downfield blocking by O line guys was deadly.

Good grief. Our D had 8 sacks! 8! The allowed 2 big plays. Yeah. That was critical. But those plays came against a secondary that has so many injuries I didn’t recognize most of the names.

We won 10 games. Played our guts out to win #11. I am proud of this team for collecting this many wins given our weaknesses. Yes, I know, what could have been.

That said: We need to turn over most, or all, of our offensive staff. The 5 years of disappointment is enough evidence to make that decision.

And, we all know that P&P are not going to become solid D-1 QB’s. Probably not even close. Joey L, who knows? We need to recruit better for that position along with strategic improvements in our wide outs.

Lastly, we need to convince Phil P. to double team obviously world class receivers.

Wow. Heartbreaker. Love the courage from the O line and RB’s to regroup and dominate after a horrible first half. Our tight ends were awesome. Downfield blocking by O line guys was deadly.

Good grief. Our D had 8 sacks! 8! The allowed 2 big plays. Yeah. That was critical. But those plays came against a secondary that has so many injuries I didn’t recognize most of the names.

We won 10 games. Played our guts out to win #11. I am proud of this team for collecting this many wins given our weaknesses. Yes, I know, what could have been.

That said: We need to turn over most, or all, of our offensive staff. The 5 years of disappointment is enough evidence to make that decision.

And, we all know that P&P are not going to become solid D-1 QB’s. Probably not even close. Joey L, who knows? We need to recruit better for that position along with strategic improvements in our wide outs.

Lastly, we need to convince Phil P. to double team obviously world class receivers.
Quality points....

So, because we recruit and coach up players better than the teams we beat this season those victories are meaningless. Take an undergrad course in logic. Several posters here should join you.
May be you should learn to read and ANSWER the question.

You don’t want to because your not going to like the answer.

The team did better than expected given the poor quarterback play and poor level of recruiting on the offensive line. That falls solely on the shoulders of the offensive coordinator. If our defense played as poorly as our offense we would have struggled to win three games this year.

I would like to see a change there, but pig headed pride dictates it’s not going to happen. For some reason Kirk the control freak refuses to bring in someone who can recruit and build a competitive offense.

Any half wit can see the problem as plain as day, but there’s that damn pride. By pursuing someone like that would mean admitting what Kirk has done for years was wrong. Pride, damn foolish pride.

Oh………….. and nepotism!

It’s a damn shame because if he did that we would be handing Wisconsin and the rest of Western division their asses every year.

Reminder: "We need a QB." not disagreeing on lack of progress, but Petras was a 4Star recruit.

Bowl game performance evaluation: Excited about 2nd half offense, til walking back to hotel after game and Kent fan pointed out 4 defensive starters not playing. Not sure how you evaluate some of these bowl games - PSU had 6 truly NFL potential not play.

RB's showed what they are like when fresh. Few carries, 4 weeks since last game. #4 ran thru people! See if he can do that week 11 next year. Hope so. Good RB's coming in.

Big Pict: Last 7yrs = 63-24. 3 Bowl wins. 2 Division titles. Includes 2 Big10 title game L's.
1981-87 (7yrs). = 62-17. 4 bowl wins, 2 Rose Bowls ( ='s Big10 titles?).
Very comparable. Will KF really feel a 'has to change', based on these results?

Phil's stubbornness and complete inability to adjust to playmaking wide receivers has been the most head scratching aspect of this season to me. That stubbornness reared its ugly head against Purdue, again, just like every year. The other poor points are par for the course, nobody expects a world beating offense here, though it would be a pleasant surprise.

Reminder: "We need a QB." not disagreeing on lack of progress, but Petras was a 4Star recruit.
Iowa has never, ever, developed QBs. This was commented on quite a bit here during the Stanley years, the whole regression talk. We saw it again this year. We either luck into a good QB, or we watch the offense flounder.
Big Pict: Last 7yrs = 63-24. 3 Bowl wins. 2 Division titles. Includes 2 Big10 title game L's.
That's the question, isn't it? I don't think we see coaching changes, but I do think we see a new guy behind center. I really do.

Phil's stubbornness and complete inability to adjust to playmaking wide receivers has been the most head scratching aspect of this season to me. That stubbornness reared its ugly head against Purdue, again, just like every year. The other poor points are par for the course, nobody expects a world beating offense here, though it would be a pleasant surprise.
Yeah. And he makes great adjustments successfully against our opponents’ offenses in general. Why not this? I know he does go zone late in games and really stresses “everything in front of you.” And he increases pressure at key times.

Just remember I am not calling for Kirk’s head. It’s time for him to wake up and make philosophical changes offensively.

May be you should learn to read and ANSWER the question.

You don’t want to because your not going to like the answer.

The team did better than expected given the poor quarterback play and poor level of recruiting on the offensive line. That falls solely on the shoulders of the offensive coordinator. If our defense played as poorly as our offense we would have struggled to win three games this year.

I would like to see a change there, but pig headed pride dictates it’s not going to happen. For some reason Kirk the control freak refuses to bring in someone who can recruit and build a competitive offense.

Any half wit can see the problem as plain as day, but there’s that damn pride. By pursuing someone like that would mean admitting what Kirk has done for years was wrong. Pride, damn foolish pride.

Oh………….. and nepotism!

It’s a damn shame because if he did that we would be handing Wisconsin and the rest of Western division their asses every year.
I read just fine, thanks. I just get tired and bored with you discounting our wins against teams that we are supposed to beat. Just look at our win-loss records and pipe down.
I am on the record as calling for replacement of our offensive coaching staff. BF has had plenty of time to prove his mettle. Our offense was awful. Our D was remarkably effective. I have no issues with much of your post. But I maintain that arguing that wins don’t count and reflect accurately where we finished this year is a red herring. We did in fact recruit better players and coached them better tha a large number of opponents. Now, answer my question.

Bowl game performance evaluation: Excited about 2nd half offense, til walking back to hotel after game and Kent fan pointed out 4 defensive starters not playing. Not sure how you evaluate some of these bowl games - PSU had 6 truly NFL potential not play.

RB's showed what they are like when fresh. Few carries, 4 weeks since last game. #4 ran thru people! See if he can do that week 11 next year. Hope so. Good RB's coming in.

To answer your question “No”.

Here’s a question for you, why did you choose the use the last seven years? Very convenient wasn’t it? How many division titles since there have been divisions? That won’t look so rosy would it? How many Rose Bowl wins? Blow outs the wrong way. 5-7 Rutgers proves that bowl appearance don’t mean much anymore.

Again I am not calling for Kirk’s head unless our offense remains this poor for more years and he refuses to make a change there. Then termination would be warranted.

Maybe Brian’s new recruits will make a difference but there is no evidence to support that supposition.

Not only does Kirk owe his job to two coaches named Parker but now we have to add his son to the welfare list?

I read just fine, thanks. I just get tired and bored with you discounting our wins against teams that we are supposed to beat. Just look at our win-loss records and pipe down.
I am on the record as calling for replacement of our offensive coaching staff. BF has had plenty of time to prove his mettle. Our offense was awful. Our D was remarkably effective. I have no issues with much of your post. But I maintain that arguing that wins don’t count and reflect accurately where we finished this year is a red herring. We did in fact recruit better players and coached them better tha a large number of opponents. Now, answer my question.
I see we are closer on agreeing than disagreeing. I never said wins don’t matter.

Two comments here, First, you still didn’t answer the question “Who did we beat this year that was really, really good?” I will help you out. “No one.” Some of the teams were fairly respectable but none really really good. Second, you asked me to answer your question but you failed to ask a question. Did you do that intentionally? Lol

I will add here that I lived around SEC fans for over twenty years in Atlanta. I have a distain for them more than you can imagine. I really wanted this win because of that reason. A win instead of a loss would have helped me feel a little better, especially if Petras had carried the team to a win. Unfortunately it didn’t happen.

I honestly thought I answered your question. You seem to be obsessed with who we didn’t beat. Whether or not we beat or didn’t beat, more highly rated teams is not the only consideration when evaluating a successful season. The fact remains that we out recruited and out coached teams on our schedule, 10 times. We lost to 4. OK. We lost to teams that on that day, were better than we were. And, we beat teams 10 times that were less talented or not as well coached. Those are the facts, whether you like it or not. Look around. Get some glasses. That is ultimately true across college football. I get it. You want to beat teams that may well be better than we are. Me, too.