2-0 start, but...

can someone much smarter than I, give me hope that our defense will be any better the rest of the season? Please!

The zone is working well especially the 1-2-2 which worked very well early in the second half against UMKC after Fran's line shift. It was a short period of time but it worked. Worked at times yesterday against an athletic team. There is hope. Last season, for the most part, defense was nonexistent.....

WGB didn't seem to get very many breakaway highlight dunks, as opposed to last year. This is a good sign. We are not going to suddenly become Virginia, it is a step by step process and there are glimpses of improvement.....

Turnovers are a problem again, as Rob mentioned, and that has to be corrected. We simply cannot give the ball away. As MikeK says you must value the ball and protect it like it is your mother's purse that some lowlife is attempting to steal.....

Garza looks very good, especially coming back from a drastic operation. He doesn't have the happy feet from last season. Tyler is not making as many turnovers as last season, and this is essential. Baer is back to the form he had two seasons ago. He is immediate energy off the bench. I really don't want to see him starting at all. Coming off the bench for brief spurts would be good because he spends a lot of energy with his style.....

When Baer, Bohannon, Connor, and JoeW in the game, there is a ton of basketball savvy. These guys know the game and might not be the most athletic players on the floor but they have the intelligence to overcome that. There are those who fail to see Kriener's value but he is another smart savvy basketball player and does know how to play D. He simply cannot do it all by himself under the basket. For the size he handles things well and is aggressive.....

I have a good feeling about this team. They have the talent and ability to improve and the desire to do so. The addition of JoeW is vast. He will provide a solid scoring option that we sorely missed with Peter Jok's graduation. Connor is going to help in a big way. As mentioned in Rob's article, he gets the ball inside very well. and as the players learn to use space and movement, there will be opportunities to get open to get a pass on the perimeter. Jordan and Joe will take advantage of this......

Good things are coming. The trip to NYC is going to be educational and I am anxious to see how we do, but I will not be devastated if we lose the Oregon game. It would be nice to see a competitive game. There is a Brutal stretch of games upcoming and much can be learned and we will have a clue as to how this season will go after this period of time.....

Merely delusional musings, nothing else.....

:cool:

Last edited:
It still wouldn't be a good defense but it beats the heck out of that turnstyle bullshit they are running now. I hate zone defense. If I (a man-to-man defensive coach) recruited a roster incapable of playing man-to-man defense...I'd quit out of pure shame.

I am not certain that we have the overall athleticism to go man to man for long periods of time, but we certainly should throw different styles of D out there to keep things honest.....

Most of the players don't have their hands up in the zone defense, to begin with. Once again, basic basketball fundamentals are lacking with a Fran coached team. Maybe @PCHawk can scour the 4th grade coaching ranks in Johnson county and find help.

Yeah. Hands should be hovering around the ball to hamper a good pass and also in front of the opponents' eyes to hamper vision. All simple adjustments but effective when implemented.....

If the defender has his hands close to the ball it is possible to deflect the ball when the opponent starts to dribble the ball.....

Quick hand to eye coordination is an able assistant to this philosophy.....

Both games Fran had three players on the floor who can make free throws in the last 2/3 minutes.....

Bohannon, Connor and JoeW.....

They are a combined: 26 for 30...

Most of the players don't have their hands up in the zone defense, to begin with. Once again, basic basketball fundamentals are lacking with a Fran coached team. Maybe @PCHawk can scour the 4th grade coaching ranks in Johnson county and find help.
I'm seeing a lot of missing basic fundamental moves they don't used it in the game. It is absolutely driving me crazy at times.

I am not certain that we have the overall athleticism to go man to man for long periods of time, but we certainly should throw different styles of D out there to keep things honest.....

I've been of the opinion that you teach MANY defenses: man to man, 2-1-2, 2-3, 3-2, 1-3-1 and a cpl of "junk" defenses- box and 1, triange and 2. In most games I wouldn't use more than a few of them, but they are there [and practiced and learned well,] if you need them. Additionally, we should possess 3 different presses, both full and half court that can be implimented in different degrees- hard press, soft press etc...

I am a fan of switching defenses ALOT, and I mean alot!! MOST of the time coming out of a time-out, at half-time and at critical times of the game [last possession, last cpl of possessions, etc...]. It's ALWAYS been my philosophy to stay in the same defense UNTIL your opponent scores on 3 or 4 consective possessions.[There are, of course, exceptions.]

One hindrance we have, is Fran's rotation of 87 players, each capable of playing 3 or 4 different positions. Dispite all suppposedly having a high basketball IQ's, you can see how it might be hard for a player to learn all the correct positions he should be in in any given defense. There are a lot of permutations here. But, these guys are on scholarship to a Power 5, Div. 1 school and should be able to learn and play like it.

Looked to me like last year we played a 2-3 zone and man-to-man and that's about it. Once your opponent solves these 2, we had no other defenses to turn to. If you know anything at all about the moral of a team, it's easy to give up on defense when the only 2 you play are ripped to shreds time after time, game after game.

Fran: TEACH DEFENSES!!!