2-0 start, but...

This is something I actually agree with Jon about. Devote 100% effort towards zone D. Ditch the man-to-man entirely.
It still wouldn't be a good defense but it beats the heck out of that turnstyle bullshit they are running now. I hate zone defense. If I (a man-to-man defensive coach) recruited a roster incapable of playing man-to-man defense...I'd quit out of pure shame.

It still wouldn't be a good defense but it beats the heck out of that turnstyle bullshit they are running now. I hate zone defense. If I (a man-to-man defensive coach) recruited a roster incapable of playing man-to-man defense...I'd quit out of pure shame.
I like the 1-3-1 when a team has the quickness and athletes to make it work. It can create copious turnovers when executed properly.

I was never a fan of the the 1-2-2 because it required the player at the point to slide all the way down to the basket and still have to come out to the top of the key and beyond. I didn't like it even when Davis with his best teams ran it. The 2-3 opens up the free throw line area, the last place on the court a defense wants an offensive threat to be, and the baselines.

All zone defenses make boxing out more difficult and open up alleys for offensive rebounds. With the first exception noted, I prefer hard, agressive man to man.

Chuck Daly used to play extreme man to man. No help defense. You did what you had to do to keep your man from getting past you. And Bill Laimbeer and Rick Mahorn usually did. It also kept long and/or athletic teams like Boston and Atlanta off the offensive glass. Those Daly coached championship Piston teams may have been the best defensive rebounding teams ever. And good outlet passers to Isiah Thomas/Joe Dumars.

Iowa beat UMKC 77-63
UCONN beat UMKC 94-66. UCONN is predicted to finish around the middle of the pack in the AAC.
Loyola-Chicago beat UMKC 76-45.

Versus UMKC, Iowa had 16 turnovers. UMKC shot 66.7% from the line and 35.9% FG

-------------------------------------------------------------

Iowa beat Green Bay 93-82.
Indiana St beat Green Bay 78-74. Indiana St is predicted to finish around the middle of the pack in the MVC.

Versus Green Bay, Iowa had 17 turnovers. GB shot 68.8% from the line and 46.4% FG

I think it's rather clear that this team is undisciplined and the defense hasn't improved. Things can change, but they don't look too good so far. :(

Iowa beat UMKC 77-63
UCONN beat UMKC 94-66. UCONN is predicted to finish around the middle of the pack in the AAC.

Indiana St beat Green Bay 78-74. Indiana St is predicted to finish around the middle of the pack in the MVC.

Versus Green Bay, Iowa had 17 turnovers. GB shot 68.8% from the line and 46.4% FG

I think it's rather clear that this team is undisciplined and the defense hasn't improved. Things can change, but they don't look too good so far. :(
Turnovers need to avg no more than 11.
That also kills us on d in transition.

Fran doesn't seem very excited about coaching Iowa basketball any more. He seems to be just going through the motions.

Garza, Baer, and Wieskamp hustle on a different level than everyone else. Connor and Bohannon were probably on the next level. Cook, Dailey, and Kriener hustled some and looked lazy some. Those are the guys who really need to step it up. Moss I have no idea because I didn't even notice he was out there.
This would be a much better "team" without Cook, IMHO.

Iowa beat UMKC 77-63

In terms of how big a victory Iowa produces compared to other programs...True, but one might need to take into account how Iowa BB and FB tend to seldom press a lead, rather, stumbling, intentionally or not, to keep the game close. Genetic tendency? Coaching philosophy/personality? Player drive?

It takes a group of players and coaches with hearts of a killer/competitor/lion to bury an opponent once they are knocked on their heels. Iowa seems to not have this trait for some reason.

Id pack in a zone all day/everyday with this group. One thing they have is length and if they’re active and disciplined in the zone, it could be effective. Tired of seeing teams just gash Iowa in man. At least make teams beat you from 18 feet instead of layups.

I had hoped for a drastic turnaround defensively. But those happen over off-seasons with major changes, not during the course of a season. I think at best, all we can hope for is a team that fights and gets key stops toward the end of games. We do have a bizarro offense that is capable of scoring 90+ any given night, but we're going to need it firing on all cylinders to have any shot at being a middle of the road big ten team this season. Good teams find ways to win, and the one to fall back on is defense when you can't buy a basket. We'll see if they can continue to pull some magic out of their butts to get stops when they really need it against better competition.

Id pack in a zone all day/everyday with this group. One thing they have is length and if they’re active and disciplined in the zone, it could be effective. Tired of seeing teams just gash Iowa in man. At least make teams beat you from 18 feet instead of layups.

On strategical principle, I agree 100%. However, to your "IF" ... they are reasonably active but very undisciplined. Good Lord, the Hedging and over-help!!:mad: When you have your post hedging out between the free-throw line and top of the key ... Ummm, sort of undermines the entire foundation of the zone strategy.

They aren’t good enough to play man to man against GB or UMKC. They are going to be a zone team for the entire year it appears.

The problem is they haven’t shown any ability to be a good zone team and Fran doesn’t appear to know zone principles.
Most of the players don't have their hands up in the zone defense, to begin with. Once again, basic basketball fundamentals are lacking with a Fran coached team. Maybe @PCHawk can scour the 4th grade coaching ranks in Johnson county and find help.

On strategical principle, I agree 100%. However, to your "IF" ... they are reasonably active but very undisciplined. Good Lord, the Hedging and over-help!!:mad: When you have your post hedging out between the free-throw line and top of the key ... Ummm, sort of undermines the entire foundation of the zone strategy.

I agree. Like you said I put an IF in there.