2-0 start, but...

I

Ian Pike Hammer

can someone much smarter than I, give me hope that our defense will be any better the rest of the season? Please!

Fortunately, or maybe unfortunately, I haven’t seen either game.

But it by reading both games sound like: slow, sluggish starts (especially offensively) and yikes! defense.

Groundhog Season 2017?

It would be better if they went to that zone defense 99% of the time. I have no idea what they are trying to do in their man-to-man. Play zone and hope the opponents have bad shooting nights. That's all the hope I can offer.

This is the correct answer. The 1-2-2 press helps some. They can't lock people up and play man for a variety of reasons.

Listen to Mac McCausland and you'll be thrilled with these two wins. He makes it sound like every opponent is going to win their conference.

Garza, Baer, and Wieskamp hustle on a different level than everyone else. Connor and Bohannon were probably on the next level. Cook, Dailey, and Kriener hustled some and looked lazy some. Those are the guys who really need to step it up. Moss I have no idea because I didn't even notice he was out there.

They aren’t good enough to play man to man against GB or UMKC. They are going to be a zone team for the entire year it appears.

The problem is they haven’t shown any ability to be a good zone team and Fran doesn’t appear to know zone principles.

The only "huge" improvement is JW at the 3. The rest are similar to what we had last year. I've always said that Bohannon was a 2 Guard and that Connor would come in and play the 1. Connor is not a difference maker but he is a solid role player, IMO.

So then its Connor upgrading the 1, Bohannon upgrading the 2, and Wieskamp upgrading the 3. If it really ends up panning out like that, it should mean we are an improved team.

i said upgrade, not solution. but i think we will be improved. but, THE issue we will have this year will be the same one we had last year, team foot speed and quickness. we shall see.

Does anyone know, did we use a 1-3-1 zone at all in the first 2 games? I'm a big fan of it and desp3rately want us to utilize it some.

Cook still making some bad passes and offensive charges like last year. I hope he can slow down and play smarter.

Baer and Gatza were awsome today on both ends of the court.

Your hope is in Garza, Baer, Weiskamp and McCaffery. Those four are our only hope defensively.

It would be better if they went to that zone defense 99% of the time. I have no idea what they are trying to do in their man-to-man. Play zone and hope the opponents have bad shooting nights. That's all the hope I can offer.
This is something I actually agree with Jon about. Devote 100% effort towards zone D. Ditch the man-to-man entirely.

Why Yes!
can someone much smarter than I, give me hope that our defense will be any better the rest of the season? Please!
BD-04324-Fran-McCaffery-Coaching-2-Pack.jpg

Why Yes.....because we have the secret formula right here.