16 Team Big Ten Superconference

I doubt the cost of travel would be more than the lost revenue from dropping out of a power conference. I bet it isnt even close.

While that's true, it also isn't as expensive to be in a lower conference. Coaches salaries don't need to be that high, because you aren't competing with Texas, OU, Nebraska, etc. Salaries in the BCS conferences are much higher because schools have to offer competitive salaries to stay relevant. They have to spend more on recruiting. They also have to upgrade facilites more often. ISU would likely benefit from dropping down, because it allows them to cut a lot of other costs besides travel expenses.

While that's true, it also isn't as expensive to be in a lower conference. Coaches salaries don't need to be that high, because you aren't competing with Texas, OU, Nebraska, etc. Salaries in the BCS conferences are much higher because schools have to offer competitive salaries to stay relevant. They have to spend more on recruiting. They also have to upgrade facilites more often. ISU would likely benefit from dropping down, because it allows them to cut a lot of other costs besides travel expenses.

Has a team from a power conference ever voluntarily dropped down to a worse conference? If they drop a level and cut costs you can bet that donations from alumni and boosters will decrease dramatically as well. Nobody who went to ISU is going to be excited to support athletics when they are suddenly in the Missouri Valley. Logically what you are saying doesnt make any sense.

This is funny.

What I am referring to is that you can keep some legitimacy to the Big Ten by adding only one more team. But if you add 5 more teams, that means there are 5 teams in the "Big Ten" with no Big Ten tradition whatsoever. Could you imagine Pitt vs Rutgers for the Big Ten Championship? What current college football fan in the Big Ten would enjoy that? Tradition is important to me when it comes to football, and I think it is to Delaney too. That is why I am sure we will not go beyond a 12th team. The super conference ideas being tossed around in this thread are absolutely horrible ideas that would ruin college football for me.

Has a team from a power conference ever voluntarily dropped down to a worse conference? If they drop a level and cut costs you can bet that donations from alumni and boosters will decrease dramatically as well. Nobody who went to ISU is going to be excited to support athletics when they are suddenly in the Missouri Valley. Logically what you are saying doesnt make any sense.

I'm saying that IF Nebraska, Colorado, and Mizzou were all to be poached, ISU wouldn't have much choice. You're losing Nebraska, one of the most storied programs in CFB. Then Colorado, which loses you Denver TV's, and Mizzou, which takes away KC. That's a big chunk of the Big 12's revenue. So then on top of the costs needed to run a BCS program, you lose revenue from the conference. ISU is not in a position to handle that kind of financial stress.

This is all very unlikely, as I don't think Nebraska and Mizzou are going anywhere. But if they did, then I don't think ISU would have a choice but to drop out of the BCS.

What I am referring to is that you can keep some legitimacy to the Big Ten by adding only one more team. But if you add 5 more teams, that means there are 5 teams in the "Big Ten" with no Big Ten tradition whatsoever. Could you imagine Pitt vs Rutgers for the Big Ten Championship? What current college football fan in the Big Ten would enjoy that? Tradition is important to me when it comes to football, and I think it is to Delaney too. That is why I am sure we will not go beyond a 12th team. The super conference ideas being tossed around in this thread are absolutely horrible ideas that would ruin college football for me.
I wholeheartedly agree!

You guys are destroying the greatest sport in America with all this crap. Might as well turn college football into the NFL D league.

The Big UnTENable Conference (the BUC)!

The Big UnTENable Conference (the BUC)

I think this should be the name for the new mega-conference since it acknowledges how unwieldy that many teams will be, keeps the TEN in the name for nostalgia, and recognizes that it's all about the bucks. Let's hear it for the BUC!

The BTN may have already done the damage. Moving from a conference to a network changed a lot. Now the Big Ten has to think about being competitive as a media corporation. In this day and age you do that through synergistically controlling as much of the content, production, and distribution as possible. Staying pat as an 11 or even 12 team league limits the amount of content and production. Going to a superleague would increase that greatly.

You say a Big Ten championship between Pitt and Rutgers would suck for Big Ten fans. While that might be true, the TV programming across the league would be much better. And sorry, but TV programming drives everything. Why does the NCAA not worry that the stands of the first four rounds of the college basketball tournament are empty? Why don't they care that spreading bowl games out in the week after Jan 1 leaves seats empty? It's TV baby.

The Big Ten is setup very well for something like this. The Big Ten Network would be a must have for the midwest and the northeast (and all school alumni elsewhere in the country). The money would be rolling into the conference.

I really, really like the idea of the super conference.

Keep in mind....
- If you are not moving one step ahead you'll find yourself one step behind
- The Big Ten is an innovator (so many examples; instant replay, BTN, etc.)
- TV sets and households command dollars and increased revenue expansion ... dollars are the end game
- Educational opportunities - research/collaboration .... again more dollars
- Would help fill out/add a number of small/non revenue team sports like wrestling, baseball, hockey since not all schools provide these team sports even in the current Big Ten.

I like the idea of consuming some of the Big East schools mentioned but I would still like to see us make a major play for Texas (+ A&M which we would have to take). Texas would be a huge, huge get and open a massive market.

I really, really like the idea of the super conference.

Keep in mind....
- If you are not moving one step ahead you'll find yourself one step behind
- The Big Ten is an innovator (so many examples; instant replay, BTN, etc.)
- TV sets and households command dollars and increased revenue expansion ... dollars are the end game
- Educational opportunities - research/collaboration .... again more dollars
- Would help fill out/add a number of small/non revenue team sports like wrestling, baseball, hockey since not all schools provide these team sports even in the current Big Ten.

I like the idea of consuming some of the Big East schools mentioned but I would still like to see us make a major play for Texas (+ A&M which we would have to take). Texas would be a huge, huge get and open a massive market.

I agree with this post 100%. In this world you either move ahead or you fall behind. The Big Ten is looking ahead and will soon move forward with it's plan. It's exactly the type of innovative action that separates the leaders from the followers. Once again the Big Ten is setting an example that others will emulate.

Given that the largest league in football is currently 12 teams, how would the BTN be limited with only a 12 team league? That argument makes no sense. I think the enormous tv deal already signed by the Big Ten conference and the Big Ten Network is proving to be plenty of revenue to split amongst the current teams. Adding more teams will water down the content of the Big Ten and will turn away some people. In this case, less is more. Just by adding more teams does not make the tv programming better as you state. Again, IMO and many others, adding more teams reduces the quality of the Big Ten, especially when its non-traditional teams playing each other.

I don't hear any other league planning on going to 16 teams. They are all waiting to see what the Big Ten does, if the Big Ten stands pat or adds one more, the rest of the leagues breathe a sigh of relief. If the Big Ten decides to destroy college football and go to a 16 team league, then college football as we know it will be over.

Can you imagine...November 24th, final game of the year, cold weather, getting ready for the Hawkeyes to step into Kinnick and play for the Big Ten title against....Rutgers? Are you f'ing kidding me? A 16 team league means terribly unbalanced schedules and you would no longer be able to guarantee the 2 rivalry games you get every year. No thanks. I think if they put this to a vote it would be about 80% against, 20% for expansion to 16. Again, Delaney isn't dumb. He may have delusions of grandier, but he is old enough to appreciate the tradition and integrity of the Big Ten. I am certain we will only see the Big Ten go to 12 teams.

I agree with this post 100%. In this world you either move ahead or you fall behind. The Big Ten is looking ahead and will soon move forward with it's plan. It's exactly the type of innovative action that separates the leaders from the followers. Once again the Big Ten is setting an example that others will emulate.

How does this benefit college football in anyway? I don't care about anything else (non-revenue sports, academics, tv, etc). How does this benefit college football? I would like to hear the rationale, because to me, this only ruins college football. I have yet to hear one reason how this is better for the game.

How does this benefit college football in anyway? I don't care about anything else (non-revenue sports, academics, tv, etc). How does this benefit college football? I would like to hear the rationale, because to me, this only ruins college football. I have yet to hear one reason how this is better for the game.

Because it's about much more than college football. It's always been about more than college football. That's why the word college comes before the word football.

Because it's about much more than college football. It's always been about more than college football. That's why the word college comes before the word football.

Let's rephrase then: how is this truly better for amateur sports? That's a term that is truly worth laughing at most of the time anyway, since a more befitting term for student-athletes would be: indentured servants.

Seriously, someday a kid is going to sue a university, or the NCAA, for the gross amounts of money made off of college football and basketball players by universities, while the players get a scholarship and a pat on the back for putting millions in the pockets of the suits.

Let's rephrase then: how is this truly better for amateur sports? That's a term that is truly worth laughing at most of the time anyway, since a more befitting term for student-athletes would be: indentured servants.

Seriously, someday a kid is going to sue a university, or the NCAA, for the gross amounts of money made off of college football and basketball players by universities, while the players get a scholarship and a pat on the back for putting millions in the pockets of the suits.

No one could foresee the college game becoming such a huge moneymaker yet little adjustment has been made to account for the fact that college football and basketball have become developmental leagues for the NFL & NBA.

I believe that a system of compensation for the players could be put in place. Maybe a set amount of money is set aside for each year in which the student-athlete maintains a predetermined GPA, with a bonus for graduating.

The amount of money set aside could be determined by which school the player attends. The higher the academic standard at the school, the higher the monetary compensation. A student-athlete would be paid more for maintaining a 2.0 at Northwestern than Alabama, for example.

Or a set amount of money is paid for every year the student-athlete is enrolled with no regard for grade point average.

Or maybe the system as it now stands is fine. Those with the skills to move on to the pro's do so whenever they feel they are ready and those that don't get a free education. Either way the student-athlete enters college knowing what their options are.

None of this is relevant to the fact that the Big Ten has perfectly sound survival instincts and has the vision to see far enough ahead to be able to ensure it's place in the grand scheme of things. And ultimately that is what is at stake. Super Conferences are coming and the name of the game is change and thrive or resist change and wither and die. The Big Ten has decided, or is at the very least considering, being the catalyst for
this change.

Still haven't heard a reason that this is good for college football. I think a handful of writers are blowing this up into something it isn't. I don't think the Big Ten is putting much consideration into expansion beyond 12. I don't mind if people want to talk about it, but the reality is, its a horrible idea.

Still haven't heard a reason that this is good for college football. I think a handful of writers are blowing this up into something it isn't. I don't think the Big Ten is putting much consideration into expansion beyond 12. I don't mind if people want to talk about it, but the reality is, its a horrible idea.

Okay, I will try, but you probably will not agree:

1) It would align the conferences up much better for a playoff system to be put in place. The current conference system has too much discrepancy between each conference. By going to four superconferences, it would be just be easier to seed a playoff.

Counterpoint 1) The bowl system is great, we need to keep it. It rewards more teams for their season, because like 30 teams get to end the season on a high note. Sure three or four teams might be disappointed, but that doesn't outweigh the 50 some odd teams that are just happy to be in a bowl.

Counterpoint to counterpoint 1. This was all fine and dandy pre-BCS. But the BCS pushed things closer to a playoff system and the momentum is not stopping until you scrap the BCS and go back to the old system. Guess what? It ain't happening.

Counterpoint 2)- Well, why don't we just move down to having 8 10 team conferences? That would make it even more easy to seed a playoff. You could eat up a few more of the non-BCS conference teams and the others would just have to drop down to FCS - which is probably where they belong already. (In fact the research shows this to be the case. Teams that jump from FCS to FBS end up worse financially).

Counterpoint to Counterpoint 2

Smaller conferences don't make as much money as bigger conferences.

2) Many college athletic programs are bleeding financially. The amount of money that it takes to run a top flight athletic program is staggering. At the same time, Regents and educators are getting squeezed more and more by reduced appropriations and rising costs of education. At Iowa, staff have been put on furlough in this last year.

If you can increase the overall revenue in the major sports, you can support your others sports. Iowa is unique in that it does not take student fees to pay for athletics. One reason this is possible is because of the BTN.

3) The BTN has changed the climate forever. The Big Ten was the driving force in the changing landscape. The SEC has the great ESPN contract. But they still don't come close to matching the Big Ten's revenue. What does this mean? It means that someone else is going to try to jump in this market. What is the problem with that? Well, no other league has the make-up to be able to support such a move... not yet. That "not yet" is what is driving a lot of this conversation.

If the Big Ten waits and lets another conference, or two, make their strategic move, then the Big Ten will be responding from a negative or at least closer to equal position. Right now, the Big Ten has an overwhelming position of strength. Better deals happen when you have the most leverage.

4) The BTN will not make more money unless it is able to move into other markets and/or get moved to the expanded basic package on most cable companies. As of right now, the BTN really is just a regional network. However, if they were able to take over the television sets along the Eastern Seaboard, they would move far beyond the regional level. Also, they would be in the unique situation of not having to worry about most of the huge empty spaces West of the Mississippi and East of the Rockies.

However, if the BTN lets this area slip away to a competitor, then it will be locked down as a regional network. Basically, it is just a huge opportunity for growth that has a shelf life.

So to summarize, all of this breaks down into 2 key areas of improvement in college football. 1) Better system for choosing a true national champion and 2) More revenue for Big Ten athletic programs, of which football is a part.

Man, I would hate 16 teams. I can see adding a 12th, but a super-conference? Come on.

I guess I'm a traditionalist. I hate what that would do to the landscape of the Big 10. You might not play some teams for 3-4 years. I think the rotating schedule we have now is bad enough.

Exactly. I for one am looking forward to Iowa's games against Penn State, Michigan, Michigan State, and Ohio State this year. In a 14 or 16 team conference we'd only see these teams in Kinnick once in a blue moon.

I have heard lots of good ideas and lots of bad ideas about the Big Ten's future. But a 16 team "superconference" is by far the worst idea I've heard.

Latest posts