118th / 115th

This might help.

f3b33bb84005a2b86737d98cdfe17a37.jpg

J/K it won't help at all
There's no reason to bring my wife into this.

You are correct sir. Now why am I arguing with someone who obviously didn't watch the team last year? Do me a favor and ask him if last year was more exciting to watch than this year. After he answers ask him, "Why might that be?"

I didn't watch the team last year? During our undefeated regular season? Keep dreaming.

And because you got excited last year, that means "New Kirk 3.0" exists? I mean... Doesn't that sound a little bit silly when you say it out loud?

Last year we had a FG kicker, Marshall Koehn, who had 50+ yard range. This year we do not. Lining up for a FG that you think won't even get there is not smart football. With this year's kickers we would not have attempted the FG against Pitt last year. You can't just throw out one situation without taking personnel into consideration. Also, we could fake a FG as we did against Iowa State because Koehn had the fastest 40 time on the team.

I agree with everything you posted. But how in the blue smoke helll does a fg kicker has the fastest 40 time. yikes.

We are 118th in total offense and 15th in 1st down offense in the country.

Defense sucked yesterday, and is probably only a little above average overall...but the reason we are not currently 7-2 or maybe 8-1 right now is because of the offense.

KF is overlord, so ultimately I am fine putting it on him. but Greggy Davis is why we are 118/115. it's not the talent, it's the play to play coaching.

We have never been this bad on offense under KF, not '99, '00, not '06, '07, not even '12. as much as KOK was blamed (probably unfairly), he never was at those levels...never.

If KF retains Davis next year, I'll gladly thank him for a number of good times over the last 18 years, and concede his cons now utterly outweigh his pros. maybe they have for a while, thats on me I guess.

You do have to admit that our receiving corps is not up to d-1 standards. We do not have a current starting receiver who would start at ISU..

You do have to admit that our receiving corps is not up to d-1 standards. We do not have a current starting receiver who would start at ISU..

Mitchell at WR would help. But why help yourself when you can lose and not get fired????????????????

^^^ BTW, this furthers my argument. Last year Kirk would do things to help himself and his team. This year he does things to hurt his team.

New Kirk = open to ideas to help his team

Old Kirk = not open to ideas that would help

BTW, I understand that NewKirk was around for such a short time it feels like he never existed at all. I get the temptation to adopt that belief. I also understand that by the end of 2015 NewKirk was dead and OldKirk had returned. But from Jan 2015 - Nov 2015 NewKirk did indeed exist.

Last edited:
There are some very good lineman for Iowa. However not the whole line and they have no depth. Render is a huge drop off when he is in. The other problem predictable play calling and teams stacking the box. You can only block so many people in the run game. If the defense has more players in the box you aren't going to be able to run the ball. The problem is made worse by Iowa refusing to call passing plays where CJ throws the ball more than 5 yards. half of his throws are 5 yards or under.

There are some very good lineman for Iowa. However not the whole line and they have no depth. Render is a huge drop off when he is in. The other problem predictable play calling and teams stacking the box. You can only block so many people in the run game. If the defense has more players in the box you aren't going to be able to run the ball. The problem is made worse by Iowa refusing to call passing plays where CJ throws the ball more than 5 yards. half of his throws are 5 yards or under.

Shorthand version: "crappy coaching"

The only "New Kirk" was him changing his BS philosphy of sitting on the ball with 2 mins left in the half / game.

The two fake FG, there's a reason why we only did it in the first two games. He doesn't consider those OOC games meaningful, and it was a big FU to the fan base. He knew damn well that majority of the fans would go crazy at those attempts, hence the standing ovation after the first one.

As the season went on, there really wasn't much of a change at all in schemes and conservative playcalling. We just had a QB who seemed to convert every single big 3rd down.

Though I will admit, this years team seems to be way worse in just about every phase of the game. We went from an AVERAGE offense last year, to one of the worst this year

The only "New Kirk" was him changing his BS philosphy of sitting on the ball with 2 mins left in the half / game.

The two fake FG, there's a reason why we only did it in the first two games. He doesn't consider those OOC games meaningful, and it was a big FU to the fan base. He knew damn well that majority of the fans would go crazy at those attempts, hence the standing ovation after the first one.

As the season went on, there really wasn't much of a change at all in schemes and conservative playcalling. We just had a QB who seemed to convert every single big 3rd down.

Though I will admit, this years team seems to be way worse in just about every phase of the game. We went from an AVERAGE offense last year, to one of the worst this year

CJ jumping a starter in January was also something he had never done before. Again, Americans are great at historical revisionism.

No one said he was 100% different. Just that he made some changes. There was at least some flexibility. Which even those who say he has never changed admit is truth. So . . . .scoreboard.

Running game had a few counters, and also broke some of our most obvious tendencies (some 3rd and short plays we rolled the QB out on PA and passed or CJ ran, not Daniels stretch EVERY TIME)

Passing game at least attempted to throw the ball down the field more than we are doing this year. We don't even try.

CJ made plays with his feet. How many huge plays did he make by escaping the pocket last year? Seemed like every game he was doing this. This year? He looks like he's lost all athletic ability

Regarding CJB. Yes, he has changed. But so did Tate; Stanzi; Vandy; Rudock as time moved along. Kirk coaches them into a fear bubble. CJB is just the latest victim.

The fact that Rudock blossomed under a different coach proves what Kirk does to quarterbacks.

I agree with everything you posted. But how in the blue smoke helll does a fg kicker has the fastest 40 time. yikes.

Position players in football are probably not be the fastest athletes in all of pro sports. And you know as well as I do that you need to have a quick burst in football, but not all have a sustained speed. My brother-in-law has said that all most football players need is to be fast for 10 yards.

He apparently was the fastest kicker at the NFL combine in at least a decade, only 0.01 seconds slower than Ameer Abdullah.
http://saturdaytradition.com/iowa-football/koehn-impressive-indy/

I'm just not so sure our WR are as poor as we think. We hardly throw them the ball or give them a shot on 50/50 balls. I see teams with equal or even lesser talent every Saturday throw fades and back shoulder attempts to covered WR...see simply don't even try.

I'm just not so sure our WR are as poor as we think. We hardly throw them the ball or give them a shot on 50/50 balls. I see teams with equal or even lesser talent every Saturday throw fades and back shoulder attempts to covered WR...see simply don't even try.

They are pretty poor. Announcers call several out for lack of combating for position on 50/50 throws.

They are pretty poor. Announcers call several out for lack of combating for position on 50/50 throws.

How many chances to the WR get on 50/50 balls though(especially those beyond 10-15 yard), 1-2 a game as a group? I do not argue that our WR talent/depth has been an issue for 20+years. I still contend that we don't allow them to develop or improve, because we don't throw them the ball enough, and we don't help them get open with routes or schemes.

Scheel and Smith show flashes, but don't get enough chances. Just my opinion. Don't get me wrong, we have a long way to go with talent/recruiting.

I simply need to see a lot more throws/targets/chances before I would say we are that bad at WR.

"lack of separation" in my very humble opinion, is way overused as an excuse. I see literally dozens of passes every week to WR with little/no separation. That said, I see patterns, routes, and schemes that help receivers get open....we don't do that either.

How many chances to the WR get on 50/50 balls though(especially those beyond 10-15 yard), 1-2 a game as a group? I do not argue that our WR talent/depth has been an issue for 20+years. I still contend that we don't allow them to develop or improve, because we don't throw them the ball enough, and we don't help them get open with routes or schemes.

Scheel and Smith show flashes, but don't get enough chances. Just my opinion. Don't get me wrong, we have a long way to go with talent/recruiting.

I simply need to see a lot more throws/targets/chances before I would say we are that bad at WR.

"lack of separation" in my very humble opinion, is way overused as an excuse. I see literally dozens of passes every week to WR with little/no separation. That said, I see patterns, routes, and schemes that help receivers get open....we don't do that either.

I somewhat agree with them not getting enough opportunities to prove themselves. Fortunately I'm sure we'll be throwing quite a bit against Michigan and they'll have their chances. This is one of the biggest criticisms I have of the staff. Rather than taking our foot off the petal in OOC games why not switch away from running the ball to working on the passing game. Sure we may get criticized for "running up the score", but is it really running up the score when you're working on improving an aspect of the game that needs improvement. Rather than run meaningless draw after draw or put a back up QB in to hand the ball off. Why not open up the playbook in the third and fourth quarter of a game and work on the timing of the passing game or getting a good opportunity to assess those receivers that played an entirely different position in high school. Regardless of who we have under center or how good our receivers truly are we simply have no desire to ever improve at WR.

Latest posts