11-30 Ear to the Ground Bowl Update

I wonder how much money the unversity loses with these bowl games?.

There was an entire book recently released about this whole thing called Death to the BCS:

[ame=http://www.amazon.com/Death-BCS-Definitive-Against-Championship/dp/1592405703/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1291143350&sr=8-1]Amazon.com: Death to the BCS: The Definitive Case Against the Bowl Championship Series (9781592405701): Dan Wetzel, Josh Peter, Jeff Passan: Books[/ame]

If Iowa dropped to the Insight, who are they thinking the Big 12 team would be? I don't see how Nebraska could drop that far.

I think Nebraska could easily fall that far. If the Alamo doesnt want a Nebby- Arizona rematch from last year then Nebby could fall to the insight.

Adam Rittenberg/ESPN: "Just spoke with Outback Bowl CEO Jim McVay, who says there are more Big Ten options this year than he can remember. Don't count out Illinois"

I don't see Nebraska falling to the Insight Bowl. I think if we end up in Tempe we would be playing Missouri or A&M.

A&M will at worst head to the Alamo bowl this year. The pecking order for the Big12 is:

BCS - Fiesta
Cotton
Alamo
Insight
Holiday
Texas

BCS will be winner of Oklahoma v Nebby and loser will head to Dallas and play in the Cotton Bowl but they could throw a curve ball and pick A&M over Nebraska should Nebraska lose. If OK loses then they will head to the Cotton Bowl. Next up is the Alamo Bowl and there is no doubt that they will pick A&M if available over MIssouri and Ok St. That leaves Ok St to the Insight Bowl and Mizzou falling to the Holiday bowl. The Big12 has no rules on who has to be taken so a 9-3 A&M team will jump over a 10-2 Ok St team in a heartbeat if the game is played in TX. Their fans like ours travel in droves. It's a 3 hr drive to San Antonio from College Station so it's probably too far of a drive to make it up that morning and back that night thus the revenue via hotels and restaurants will be good.

I will wager that PSU goes to the Outback, Iowa goes to the Gator and Michigan heads to the Insight. PSU plays, Iowa plays and Michigan plays Ok St

Jim McVey/Outback Bowl: ""You talk to the athletic directors, you talk to the media people, you talk to the fans, you send your people up there to watch the games and they come back with reports on everything," McVay said. "We look at the record, look at who they beat, look at who's on an uptick, look at who feels good about themselves. Some teams and some fans have had enough for the year, and some are feeling pretty good about the future, where they're going.

"We probably over-analyze this stuff, but that's what we do."

Iowa has wins against both Penn State and Michigan, and the Hawkeyes had a strong showing at the Outback Bowl both on and off the field in 2008. The problem: Iowa dropped each of its final three games and four of its final six.

"They caught every bad break they could this year, haven't they?" McVay said. "But they've been great with us."

Outback overflowing with Big Ten options - Big Ten Blog - ESPN

Jim McVey/Outback Bowl: ""You talk to the athletic directors, you talk to the media people, you talk to the fans, you send your people up there to watch the games and they come back with reports on everything," McVay said. "We look at the record, look at who they beat, look at who's on an uptick, look at who feels good about themselves. Some teams and some fans have had enough for the year, and some are feeling pretty good about the future, where they're going.

"We probably over-analyze this stuff, but that's what we do."

Iowa has wins against both Penn State and Michigan, and the Hawkeyes had a strong showing at the Outback Bowl both on and off the field in 2008. The problem: Iowa dropped each of its final three games and four of its final six.

"They caught every bad break they could this year, haven't they?" McVay said. "But they've been great with us."

Outback overflowing with Big Ten options - Big Ten Blog - ESPN

This could be an issue for Iowa and why I don't see them in the outback. I predict Insight. Especially if Illinois gets in somewhere good.

In my opinion its very likely that Nebraska ends up in the Insight Bowl. If NU loses to Oklahoma on Saturday (very possible with Martinez still out with high ankle sprain and turf toe, and Lee can't throw much furthur than 15 yards with elbow pain, so Green gets the ball - probably low scoring OU win), that leaves Cotton with first choice. I dont see them taking NU, as that would be three trips to Dallas in last 12 months. Next up would be Alamo, but that would be a rematch of last year's Holiday Bowl with Arizona, so its off to the Insight Bowl.

De ja vu

Warning: Always be cautious about Jon's predictions of Iowa to Zona for a bowl game.

Agreed, he and I both thought we were headed to Glendale last year. I think Insight is where we'll be at and I am relatively indifferent. Tempe beats Jacksonville IMO. Then I think it will be OSU, Mizzou a long shot. I just don't see the Alamo passing up on Nebraska or OU's fan base unless they think OSU will travel better. Their Pac 10 selection will be underwhelming, so they'll need their BigXII selection to carry some serious weight.

What happened to the clout of the Holiday Bowl? That used to be an awesome, worthy bowl, their pay-out must be really poor nowadays being trumped by Alamo and Insight.

Phoenix and Jacksonville both suck. However, Jon made it pretty clear that Zona is a desirable option for him with respect to the financial implications of his bowl charter business.

Phoenix and Jacksonville both suck. However, Jon made it pretty clear that Zona is a desirable option for him with respect to the financial implications of his bowl charter business.

At least in PHX you can climb Camelback mountain and get some good rounds of golf in.

Jacksh@thole is just a swampy little slice of hell.

At least in PHX you can climb Camelback mountain and get some good rounds of golf in.

Jacksh@thole is just a swampy little slice of hell.

There is the World Golf Hall of Fame close to Jacksonville, Awesome place and some great golf courses there. Weather could be dicey there but then again Miami sucked last year weatherwise.

There is the World Golf Hall of Fame close to Jacksonville, Awesome place and some great golf courses there. Weather could be dicey there but then again Miami sucked last year weatherwise.

Yeah, I was factoring in the weather. The courses are nice. But it will probably be chilly in Jacksonhell

Latest posts