1 Point - Great to Terrible??

WINthePIG

In my dealing with last night, the conclusion I came to was . . . . . . WHAT A GREAT GAME!

If we win by a point, we all think Iowa is awesome and we remember this as a highlight to the season, one of the best in recent Hawkeye history.

Instead, the 1-point loss and the sky is falling. . . . . Really? I don't get this logic. Certainly, mistakes were made. But, so much to positive about.

Let's get over our hangover, and realize we still have something quite special. It is great that our expectations are now so high that two losses seems a failure. But please, take some perspective.

GO HAWKS!

In my dealing with last night, the conclusion I came to was . . . . . . WHAT A GREAT GAME!

If we win by a point, we all think Iowa is awesome and we remember this as a highlight to the season, one of the best in recent Hawkeye history.

Instead, the 1-point loss and the sky is falling. . . . . Really? I don't get this logic. Certainly, mistakes were made. But, so much to positive about.

Let's get over our hangover, and realize we still have something quite special. It is great that our expectations are now so high that two losses seems a failure. But please, take some perspective.

GO HAWKS!

The sooner we get over that we have something special the sooner the fans will be able to take some perspective.

The sooner we get over that we have something special the sooner the fans will be able to take some perspective.

Point taken, Norwalk . . . . .

But, a 2-loss or 3-loss Iowa team IS pretty special if we look at Hawkeye history! Not the best seaon ever, but why not one of the best?!

2 missed extra points could have really changed the season. The miss at Az.(Stoops said it was a huge momentum swing at a crucial time) and yesterday.

Lose by one point or by 50 points. A loss is a loss.

Likewise with a win.

For example, what if a 5-7 team loses all of their games by 1 point. The record shows no eligibilitty for a bowl game. It does not matter who this team played. Same goes for championships. The record is everything. The spread means little to nothing.

This team does not have the makings to put together a "special season". To have a special season you usually have to be good in all three categories; offense, defense and special teams. This year we have a great offense, a mediocre defense, and bad special teams. Teams with these types of makeups usually end up 7-8 win teams.

I have to agree with the OP. As a football fan (taking off my blinders) it would have been a great game to watch if you weren't invested in a team. Take it for what it's worth but even with the special teams blunders, defensive let downs, and questionable decisions in the final seconds that was one of the most fun games to watch and the tension was insane that fourth quarter. I it sucks that we lost, but I'm not going to let it take away from one hell of a game that I witnessed.

Lose by one point or by 50 points. A loss is a loss. Likewise with a win. For example, what if a 5-7 team loses all of their games by 1 point. The record shows no eligibilitty for a bowl game. It does not matter who this team played. Same goes for championships. The record is everything. The spread means little to nothing.

Whether the "powers that be" (BCS rankings) indicate your correctness or not, I couldn't DISAGREE more. This is exactly the problem with Pee-Wee athletics and kids burn-out before they even reach high school. It is ALL about the W/L record these days. You are taking the fun away?!

Think about that for a minute . . . . . It is just ridiculous logic. You are saying, "It's not how you play the game, it's whether you win or lose." That's a shame!

Go HAWKS!!!

I agree, it's the same reason we aren't as good at soccer as the rest of the world. We put too much emphasis on wins/losses. Instead of teaching the game, and having fun. Kids get burnt out and then turn to other sports, or just quit playing.

Comparing to last year just wasn't right. We got away with how many close wins? The team should have lost to UNI, Mich St, UM, Indiana, and really struggled against Arkansas State. And yet everyone calls that team great. I do think they were a good team, who got lucky a lot! They were great in that they came back to win all those tough games, but a great team probably doesn't need that many comebacks (though OSU in 2002 would argue that).

This team is a good one. I thought they could win every game on their schedule, but I also thought they could lose 3-4 games (or more with injuries). There are five games left on the schedule, and some great opportunties for Iowa to make a push for the big10 champion if they win out.

That to me is still a great year.

Saturday's game reminded me of two heavyweight fighters trading punches all the way to the 12th round, with one side getting in the final jab to sway the judges. Plenty of great plays -- and errors -- by both sides.

That was a horrific loss no doubt, but I have never attended a more exciting game than the one this weekend. The crowd was electric, Hells Bells blasting that last drive, I couldnt think that they wouldnt pull of another W

Over the years I have heard a lot of negative things regarding the Wisky fans, but having set in the middle of them the other day, they showed a lot of class. The worst thing was not being able to get out when all the their players came by. we were int he front row and couldnt get out, all I could do was watch the trophy walk out the building

Better days to come Hawk fans, starts again this Saturday

Lose by one point or by 50 points. A loss is a loss.

Likewise with a win.

For example, what if a 5-7 team loses all of their games by 1 point. The record shows no eligibilitty for a bowl game. It does not matter who this team played. Same goes for championships. The record is everything. The spread means little to nothing.

Do you watch college football? I mean really? If it matters not who is played, then how could Auburn jump over teams who won this week to number one? It matters who you play. It matters a great deal. What must Oregon do to be No. 1? Why has Bosie been No. 3 all season long, despite teams ahead of them losing. They keep winning, but in the words of Craig James (who is a waste of space on this planet, IMO) "I consider the body of work." He is not alone.

FBS football is subjective. Iowa has two losses - to a pair of very, very good football teams. They still have a shot at the Big 10 title. Darkhorse national title hopes are gone, but there is still on conference title hanging out there. This team is good enough to do it - they just went toe-to-toe with one of the best in the conference.

As far as games go, heck yes it was a great one. This one will end up on the Big Ten's Greatest somewhere...unfortunately I won't be watching. ;)

Whether the "powers that be" (BCS rankings) indicate your correctness or not, I couldn't DISAGREE more. This is exactly the problem with Pee-Wee athletics and kids burn-out before they even reach high school. It is ALL about the W/L record these days. You are taking the fun away?!

Think about that for a minute . . . . . It is just ridiculous logic. You are saying, "It's not how you play the game, it's whether you win or lose." That's a shame!

Go HAWKS!!!

I'm talking about Division 1 college athletics.

Please give me an example on "it's how you play the game" as opposed to wins and losses that decides a Big Ten Championship or bowl eligibility.

Do you watch college football? I mean really? If it matters not who is played, then how could Auburn jump over teams who won this week to number one? It matters who you play. It matters a great deal. What must Oregon do to be No. 1? Why has Bosie been No. 3 all season long, despite teams ahead of them losing. They keep winning, but in the words of Craig James (who is a waste of space on this planet, IMO) "I consider the body of work." He is not alone.

FBS football is subjective. Iowa has two losses - to a pair of very, very good football teams. They still have a shot at the Big 10 title. Darkhorse national title hopes are gone, but there is still on conference title hanging out there. This team is good enough to do it - they just went toe-to-toe with one of the best in the conference.

I'm talking about conference championships and bowl eligibility.

As for the NC game I understand there's more to it than just wins and losses.

at no point will I ever consider that a great game

while I agree that the 4Q crowd volume was the highest I've ever heard, before that eruption of support the wife and I had noted that the crowd was kinda tempered compared to the PSU game or at the start of the ISU game

Last edited:

I agree with this, this is a good Iowa team but not special. This team has weaknesses that we thought wouldn't hurt as much and they are, most noticeably LB play and CB play.

I'm still not giving up hope that they can't win the rest of their games and finish 10-2 and go to the Rose Bowl or a BCS bowl, but if they don't and end up in the Cap One or Outback I'm not going to be as upset either.

I agree, it's the same reason we aren't as good at soccer as the rest of the world. We put too much emphasis on wins/losses. Instead of teaching the game, and having fun. Kids get burnt out and then turn to other sports, or just quit playing.

Comparing to last year just wasn't right. We got away with how many close wins? The team should have lost to UNI, Mich St, UM, Indiana, and really struggled against Arkansas State. And yet everyone calls that team great. I do think they were a good team, who got lucky a lot! They were great in that they came back to win all those tough games, but a great team probably doesn't need that many comebacks (though OSU in 2002 would argue that).

This team is a good one. I thought they could win every game on their schedule, but I also thought they could lose 3-4 games (or more with injuries). There are five games left on the schedule, and some great opportunties for Iowa to make a push for the big10 champion if they win out.

That to me is still a great year.

This is a great point, what if Iowa lost to UNI, Indiana and MSU last year and were 8-5 instead of 11-2, do people still have the same expectations for this year? Probably not.

Iowa got damn lucky last year and they aren't getting those breaks this year, the 2 XP's Iowa missed this year would probably have been good last year.

Latest posts