Hill to Utah Tech

Seth53

Located in St. George UT, the football Trailblazers compete in the second level of D-I football, the Football Championship Subdivision (FCS), in the United Athletic Conference (UAC).

If you have been operating against high level competition over your head, sometimes a couple steps down in competition slows it all down. He might do well at that level. Who knows.

I wish Deacon well, he wore the black and gold and made no excuses, he just played the game.

Maybe the move will be as good for him as Petras moving to Utah St has evidently been.

Here's some Utah Tech trivia for you. My wife and I were on a road trip just a few short years ago and we ended up spending a night in St George. We were pleasantly surprised, it's a lot more like Las Vegas down the road to the SW than the rest of Utah to the north.

At the time of our visit the university was known as Dixie State U not Utah Tech. You think, WTF, Dixie St in Utah? It turns out that around the turn of the 1900 century, a long time ago whenever it was, the state of Utah went about recruiting cotton farmers from the Deep South, mainly Alabama I think, many of them already Morcom, to move to southern Utah and take up cotton farming so the church could guarantee itself a ready source of cotton for their own needs. So when they opened the university, came the name Dixie.

When Dixie St joined the WAC, along with Southern Utah and Utah Valley just up the road, they cediced a different name might be in order.

WAC football has joined with some eastern league to have enough teams to have an official conference, they call it the UAC. I belief their hope is to one day be able to qualify as an FBS conference and join in with the big boys. Only time will tell on that.

And, just one more last bit of trivia. St George is only 40 miles NE of Mesquite, NV, which is where Hayden Fry retired. I never really did understand how Hayden made his way to Mesquite. Dry desert heat was always my guess. Plus, it was an easy drive on Interstate 15 to get to Vegas.

I wish Deacon well, he wore the black and gold and made no excuses, he just played the game.

Maybe the move will be as good for him as Petras moving to Utah St has evidently been.

Here's some Utah Tech trivia for you. My wife and I were on a road trip just a few short years ago and we ended up spending a night in St George. We were pleasantly surprised, it's a lot more like Las Vegas down the road to the SW than the rest of Utah to the north.

At the time of our visit the university was known as Dixie State U not Utah Tech. You think, WTF, Dixie St in Utah? It turns out that around the turn of the 1900 century, a long time ago whenever it was, the state of Utah went about recruiting cotton farmers from the Deep South, mainly Alabama I think, many of them already Morcom, to move to southern Utah and take up cotton farming so the church could guarantee itself a ready source of cotton for their own needs. So when they opened the university, came the name Dixie.

When Dixie St joined the WAC, along with Southern Utah and Utah Valley just up the road, they cediced a different name might be in order.

WAC football has joined with some eastern league to have enough teams to have an official conference, they call it the UAC. I belief their hope is to one day be able to qualify as an FBS conference and join in with the big boys. Only time will tell on that.

And, just one more last bit of trivia. St George is only 40 miles NE of Mesquite, NV, which is where Hayden Fry retired. I never really did understand how Hayden made his way to Mesquite. Dry desert heat was always my guess. Plus, it was an easy drive on Interstate 15 to get to Vegas.

I will cheer for both Iowa QB’s if and when they play BYU or the U of U. I will be sure to wear my brightest and most noticeable Iowa garb.

Latest posts