Iowa Football Adds WR Jacob Gill

RobHowe

Administrator

Northwestern Transfer Joins Brendan Sullivan with Hawkeyes

Well he's a body anyway. It'll be interesting to see how he fits in and where on the depth chart he ends up. He kinda gives me Seth Anderson vibes as far as his size and type of receiver he may be.

This pick-up is certainly not a wow portal guy, but probably about the best we can hope for given the present circumstance and view of the offense. A veteran guy with decent experience in the Big10 in a comparably bad offensive scheme that has some relationship to one of our possible starting QBs. As others have said, he is at least a practice depth guy and probably a plug and play guy in the rotation. This is the type of guy you hope one of the incoming freshmen eventually surpasses on the depth chart. :)

I will again say this offseason has gone much better than I thought. We retained nearly everyone not going pro on an elite defense and added non-flashy, but quality depth in the places we needed depth on offense. Very clean and productive offseason. Very Iowa.

When you don't have much a body is welcome.
Why do you think we don't have much of a body at non-TE receiver spots? We have no real metric by which to evaluate the receivers. McNamara's completion percentage was like 51.1%-two and a half percent less that Jake Christensen for context and Hill, of course, connected on something in the 40's. There were some drops, especially early in the season, but drops do not account for the exceptionally inaccurate throwing.

They also had an exceptionally poor offense. Other than Ragaini and Anderson, and especially in the first 6 games (or so) the receivers' routes or plays, everyone were so predictable. Wetjen-the fastest player on the team, ran only jet sweeps, a rare screen and a rare reverse. Brown just needed some time, but he too faced the same problem, inaccurate passes and very predictable passing plays/use of receivers.

The offense is almost certain to be more receiver friendly and guys like Brown, Wetjen and Anderson have the speed to make some big plays.

Last edited:
Holy shit, 1661 receiving YARDS. The things an off-season will make you forget. I’m not picking O/U that line until I see the clown game.
Ponder this: Jake C's completion percentage was around 53.8ish. That's higher than any Iowa QB in the last two seasons collectively. Jake's 17 TDs is one more passing TDs than Iowa in the last two seasons, collectively. Jake's TD ratio of 17/6 is of course far superior to everyone collectively, or really anyone in the last two seasons where the total ratio is 16/18. Petras, the only guy playing the most plays, by far, was at least 20/15-3 more TDs that Jake C.'s single starting season and like 150% more interceptions.

That is how truly bad the QB play. Jake C would have been a vast improvement over the last 3 seasons.

Ponder this: Jake C's completion percentage was around 53.8ish. That's higher than any Iowa QB in the last two seasons collectively. Jake's 17 TDs is one more passing TDs than Iowa in the last two seasons, collectively. Jake's TD ratio of 17/6 is of course far superior to everyone collectively, or really anyone in the last two seasons where the total ratio is 16/18. Petras, the only guy playing the most plays, by far, was at least 20/15-3 more TDs that Jake C.'s single starting season and like 150% more interceptions.

That is how truly bad the QB play. Jake C would have been a vast improvement over the last 3 seasons.
Yep. As outlandish as it is to say, you would absolutely have taken JC as the QB the last two years. He at least could use his feet and was a good leader. We probably don't lose the Minny game last year and win the West in '22 if we only had....gulp...Jake Christensen......

Latest posts