OT: A Ton Of Pulled Pork

Fryowa

Administrator
Putting an OT thread here because sports are over till September and it’s the slow season now.

Anyway, some of you guys know I do a lot of bbq. Welp I’m kind of a lunatic and I don’t know why but I’ve always kept track of what and how much I cooked. Pulled pork is my highest volume thing, followed by ribs, chicken, tri-tip, etc. not a brisket guy myself.

This weekend I did pork shoulders number 228 and 229 since I started keeping track and pushed my total weight just over 2,000 lbs. I don’t even want to think of how much charcoal and wood I’ve gone through by volume. It’d be truck loads.

A literal ton of pulled pork. Ribs I’m sure are just as many quantity, but they obviously don’t weigh as much. I need to find better things to do with my time.

That’s all I got. Was bored and just thought I’d post it. Flame away.

Ok I'll bite. What's your smoker of choice? Sounds like it might be commercial.
Nope. Although I might be moving to one in the near future for something else.

Way back when I started with a Weber kettle which I still have. After that I went to a Pit Barrel which is an absolutely fabulous cooker that I highly recommend. Ribs and chicken are amazing in a Pit Barrel and you can fit a ton of food in one. My 40th birthday party I got 12 racks of ribs and 3 whole chickens in it at once.

Still have the Pit Barrel but my primary nowadays is a Masterbuilt 800 smoker. It's gravity fed charcoal/wood, and I got it because I started doing more and more long cooks and wanted something I could set and let run overnight or while being away. The 800 has wifi connectivity so I can change settings and monitor from out of town if I want...I'm not tied to home. It's basically wood/charcoal-fired with the convenience of a pellet grill. I'm not a pellet grill guy, they don't go hot enough and don't produce enough smoke. This Masterbuilt will go from 180 degrees to 700 if you want, and I use mine for charcoal grilling and smoking both. I love it.

I used to like you till you said you're not a brisket guy. I'm not sure I can trust a guy who isn't.
I'll eat it, but if you give me the choice I'm taking pulled pork or ribs any day.

I've even had top shelf OG brisket from Texas. Went to Franklin's in Austin and spent ridiculous money a few years ago. It's good, but I'm still going pulled pork. Also went to Goldee's. Best sausage and turkey I've ever had in my life. Beer was free (I don't drink) and water was too. I'd live there in a heartbeat if it wasn't Texas. I need different seasons.

This may sound sacrilege, but I can barely eat smoked pulled pork any more. The first 18 months I had my smoker I made it so much with hickory from my buddy's NC place that I still can barely eat it a few years after the fact. I can occasionally eat some if it is smoked with apple wood, but I absolutely can't eat it on hickory. I tried every style of sauce, Charleston, NC, SC, Bama, KC, Memphis, it don't matter, I just can't eat it anymore.

The last time I did a shoulder I actually did it in the oven and then we crisped it on a flat top and made carnitas. It got rave reviews.

Never done white fish. Salmon and trout I have and they're ok but a ton of work. Almost need to cold smoke those.

I have dabbled with fish, but to my palate the only proper wood is alder and I can't get it in the South. There's a very specific type of oak out of Japan that is also proper, but likewise I can't get it around where I live.

Latest posts