Iowa and Iowa State

Raveling had absolutely zero trouble bringing in top 10 classes that turned out the best teams iowa has ever had. This, above all else, is why those early Mr. Davis teams were the best in school history. And it’s also the reason why we’ve never been the same since…take away random years in between where we’ve overachieved.

Give me a coach that recruits the hell out of players any day of the week. But this will never be the iowa way…
Of course he was 2-6 in the NCAA tournament and won 53% of his games. You need a good balance. Better off with Mr. Davis coaching his guys. I'm sure that's what you mean. :) With Mr. Davis they would have won that NC State tourney game. First hawks BB game I ever saw btw. 3/14/86 that 66-64 loss. Mr. Davis got some revenge later that year in November beating #17 NC State 90-89 in OT.

OF COURSE Iowa women have been a joy to watch -- it's always easy to watch winners!
They both have had high powered offenses the last several years. Both have had B1G POYs. But the one that's learned to play average D is the one with way more postseason success.

It's almost just that simple

I was at the Iowa Illinois game and watched from floor level down by the Iowa bench. I was surprised how thin of a frame Mulvey has. He has not put on any significant bulk at all. He definitely has some height but is thin as a rail, IMO. I was within just a few yards of him. It was funny because he was helping the young uns take the stools to the floor at timeouts and back after the TO.
Maybe he has a future as a student manager. They players they brought in and are bringing in next year suggest he doesnt have much of one as a B1G caliber player.

Of course he was 2-6 in the NCAA tournament and won 53% of his games. You need a good balance. Better off with Mr. Davis coaching his guys. I'm sure that's what you mean. :) With Mr. Davis they would have won that NC State tourney game. First hawks BB game I ever saw btw. 3/14/86 that 66-64 loss. Mr. Davis got some revenge later that year in November beating #17 NC State 90-89 in OT.
They lost that game because they sucked at the FT line. Marble alone was something like 5-13.

In that 90-89 game I remember two things. One, Dick Vitale might as well been Valvano's agent with his one sided commentary. Two, NC State had a wide open look at the end of regulation and it rimmed out. It was one of the few times a Valvano coached team had a buzzer beater rim out. That guy had the luckiest horseshoe up his ass, and not just in 1983.

Latest posts