Hawk Central, Tyler Tachman

Fran and Devries are going to swap jobs.:)

Obviously, that isn’t going to happen I am bored at work and reading through this thread that idea just popped into my head.

Sorry to correct, but this is the second time in the thread that someone has suggested that the majority of Fran's career has been someplace it has not.

Fran spent 11 years at Notre Dame as a coach (which is located in Indiana and is not exactly mid major) and 14 at Iowa. So 25 of his 42 years of coaching years have been in the Midwest, not the East Coast at mid major schools. One of those midwestern stops is where he met his wife and the most recent is where he raised all of his children. I am just saying that this constant narrative that Fran and his wife are just pining to get back to the East Coast where they have spent their entires lives is just not accurate. He has lived in IC longer than anywhere since his childhood.
He was a coach, on the east coast, for over 17 years. He has ties to the east coast and Pennsylvania. He played at Penn and Wake Forest. He was born in Philadelphia in 1959, he's spent the majority of his life not in our region of the country. If you're trying to make an argument that he's spent more time in the midwest, I'm not following. I don't know what Fran and his wife are pinning for, I am just saying that going back east (or anywhere really) and coaching at a mid-major to end his career wouldn't be out the question. I don't feel like his family, his kids or even Fran think he's gotten the support they've deserved for what he's accomplished and I often times, when seeing them (Margaret, Fran, Connor, Pat) interview or speak publically, get the idea that while Fran and the fam love Iowa, they aren't like HEAD over HEELS in love with this place.

1982–1983Penn (assistant)
1983–1985Lehigh (assistant)
1985–1988Lehigh
1988–1999Notre Dame (assistant)
1999–2005UNC Greensboro
2005–2010Siena
2010–presentIowa

Agree if I had to put $ on it Sandfort would be the only one I bet that'll be back. And if I'm right about Fran leaving then all bets are off on most of the guys frankly. I know he's said he's not retiring yet but I don't think he said he'd be back coaching Iowa next yr... If I'd missed that I hope someone corrects me but if that's still the case that certainly leaves that crack in the door.
With the players he has coming in the next two classes I don't see Fran leaving. He's never been able to shake that crazy hothead coach reputation fans have of him, justly or unjustly.

He was a coach, on the east coast, for over 17 years. He has ties to the east coast and Pennsylvania. He played at Penn and Wake Forest. He was born in Philadelphia in 1959, he's spent the majority of his life not in our region of the country. If you're trying to make an argument that he's spent more time in the midwest, I'm not following. I don't know what Fran and his wife are pinning for, I am just saying that going back east (or anywhere really) and coaching at a mid-major to end his career wouldn't be out the question. I don't feel like his family, his kids or even Fran think he's gotten the support they've deserved for what he's accomplished and I often times, when seeing them (Margaret, Fran, Connor, Pat) interview or speak publically, get the idea that while Fran and the fam love Iowa, they aren't like HEAD over HEELS in love with this place.

1982–1983Penn (assistant)
1983–1985Lehigh (assistant)
1985–1988Lehigh
1988–1999Notre Dame (assistant)
1999–2005UNC Greensboro
2005–2010Siena
2010–presentIowa
I was responding to this statement in your post: "Fran's spent most of his career at midmajors on the east coast." In fact, that is NOT a true statement. He has spent most of his career (coaching is his "career" ---where he grew up or played ball is not a "career") at one of two major programs in the Midwest. Your own chart proves that your statement is false. Do you disagree?

So, mainly I was correcting your misstatement, but the broader point is that the narrative that Fran has wanted to get out of Iowa since he got here because he is an East Coast guy and doesn't like the Midwest is not supported by anything he has ever said or the facts. As an adult, he has lived more in the Midwest than the East Coast. Fact.

I was responding to this statement in your post: "Fran's spent most of his career at midmajors on the east coast." In fact, that is NOT a true statement. He has spent most of his career (coaching is his "career" ---where he grew up or played ball is not a "career") at one of two major programs in the Midwest. Your own chart proves that your statement is false. Do you disagree?

So, mainly I was correcting your misstatement, but the broader point is that the narrative that Fran has wanted to get out of Iowa since he got here because he is an East Coast guy and doesn't like the Midwest is not supported by anything he has ever said or the facts. As an adult, he has lived more in the Midwest than the East Coast. Fact.
Cool, that's fine, I worded that wrong and you are correct.

I will restate it like this

He has spent 17 years of his career coaching on the east coast, was born on the east coast, played on the east coast and that is where Fran's roots were laid not only personally but professionally.

I think if you'd ask literally ANYONE if Fran was an East Coast guy or a Midwest guy to anyone who follows college basketball and you'll universally get an answer you'd disagree with.

Cool, that's fine, I worded that wrong and you are correct.

I will restate it like this

He has spent 17 years of his career coaching on the east coast, was born on the east coast, played on the east coast and that is where Fran's roots were laid not only personally but professionally.

I think if you'd ask literally ANYONE if Fran was an East Coast guy or a Midwest guy to anyone who follows college basketball and you'll universally get an answer you'd disagree with.
I get it. I grew up in Iowa and will always be an Iowa guy, but I have not lived in the state of Iowa since I was 17. I am sure Fran has the same affinity for Philly that I have for Iowa.

But, if you asked me if I would leave my current job (which is outside of Iowa) that is a better job, with better money, and in a place I have put down roots, to take a job in Iowa that paid me less and that I would have to largely start my career path over, and do that all just so I can get back to the state where I was born, I would politely decline (and chuckle). Fran is in the same boat, and I just seriously doubt he is so nastaulgic for his Philly roots that he would uproot himself just to move back there. Have you been to Philly? It sucks. :)

If Fran does leave, I think he is as likely to end up other places as he is to end up on the East Coast. He would take the best job available. If he was offered the Arizona job and the Richmond job, which one you think he is taking?

Look at Cael Sanderson. Grew up in Utah. Greatest wrestler in ISU history. Gets hired by his alma mater, and then moves as far from Utah as he can get. Why? Best job on the planet.

I get it. I grew up in Iowa and will always be an Iowa guy, but I have not lived in the state of Iowa since I was 17. I am sure Fran has the same affinity for Philly that I have for Iowa.

But, if you asked me if I would leave my current job (which is outside of Iowa) that is a better job, with better money, and in a place I have put down roots, to take a job in Iowa that paid me less and that I would have to largely start my career path over, and do that all just so I can get back to the state where I was born, I would politely decline (and chuckle). Fran is in the same boat, and I just seriously doubt he is so nastaulgic for his Philly roots that he would uproot himself just to move back there. Have you been to Philly? It sucks. :)

If Fran does leave, I think he is as likely to end up other places as he is to end up on the East Coast. He would take the best job available. If he was offered the Arizona job and the Richmond job, which one you think he is taking?

Look at Cael Sanderson. Grew up in Utah. Greatest wrestler in ISU history. Gets hired by his alma mater, and then moves as far from Utah as he can get. Why? Best job on the planet.

Oh I get it, and I've said several times on here that Fran likely has as much loyality to Iowa then he should have to any place he's coached because of his longevity and he's our schools all time winningest coach. His kids grew up here, his wife is a huge part of Iowa's children hospital and community and they've spent more time here then at any other stop.

My concern or my line of thinking when I said it wouldn't shock me to see this year be his last in IC is more based on body language and comments from his kids and his wife over the years. Also, former players such as Jordan Bohannon has hinted at the connection not being strong with Fran and Iowa. His kids have called out the fanbase. His wife has called out the fan base. Jordan has said a few times on his podcast that he thinks this is it for Fran. He knows him better than me, so I at least take his word in consideration.

What if you were unhappy in that job? What if you went to that job every day and was one of the best employees they have, producing results that are way above your expectations but they didn't pay you accordingingly. (check Fran's salary as it stacks up against the B1G coaches). What if you went to your job but the building was old, the organization didn't put much effort into making it a better environment and even when you do a good job, no one seems to notice. What if that company's clients had a bunch of people that said shitty things about your kids? What if ya just needed a new challenge and a change of pace when things get stale?

I kind of put all that together and then I add the situation with Jack and I don't think it's really a stretch. I personally, LOVE Fran, I want him to stay at Iowa for as long as we can have him. I think he has a great program and a great future team. They play exciting basketball and produce good humans and make me proud to cheer and watch them. I personally think Fran is better than Iowa, not the other way around. That's just my opinion or how I read things, I am often wrong.

Oh I get it, and I've said several times on here that Fran likely has as much loyality to Iowa then he should have to any place he's coached because of his longevity and he's our schools all time winningest coach. His kids grew up here, his wife is a huge part of Iowa's children hospital and community and they've spent more time here then at any other stop.

My concern or my line of thinking when I said it wouldn't shock me to see this year be his last in IC is more based on body language and comments from his kids and his wife over the years. Also, former players such as Jordan Bohannon has hinted at the connection not being strong with Fran and Iowa. His kids have called out the fanbase. His wife has called out the fan base. Jordan has said a few times on his podcast that he thinks this is it for Fran. He knows him better than me, so I at least take his word in consideration.

What if you were unhappy in that job? What if you went to that job every day and was one of the best employees they have, producing results that are way above your expectations but they didn't pay you accordingingly. (check Fran's salary as it stacks up against the B1G coaches). What if you went to your job but the building was old, the organization didn't put much effort into making it a better environment and even when you do a good job, no one seems to notice. What if that company's clients had a bunch of people that said shitty things about your kids? What if ya just needed a new challenge and a change of pace when things get stale?

I kind of put all that together and then I add the situation with Jack and I don't think it's really a stretch. I personally, LOVE Fran, I want him to stay at Iowa for as long as we can have him. I think he has a great program and a great future team. They play exciting basketball and produce good humans and make me proud to cheer and watch them. I personally think Fran is better than Iowa, not the other way around. That's just my opinion or how I read things, I am often wrong.
I don't disagree there is a decent chance he retires from a different post. I think it likely he plays this out at least one more year given that the team next year should be salty and Jack will be a senior. I would be surprised if he jumped this year for those two reasons. After that, he very well could leave, but where he ends up I don't think is predictable at all. A lot of people grew up in the cold weather and some how find a way to move to warm weather as they wind down the career. Who knows.

As for the relationship with Iowa, he has good reasons to not feel overly loved. The fans are fickle, but they are fickle everywhere. My biggest gripe if I were him would be the lack of investment by the AD and the school in the program in terms of facilities, fan experience, student experience and NIL to name a few. The building is half full and the school has done literally nothing to address that. That does not even mention his below average comp. Barta did not seem overly engaged with MBB. He was a KF/football guy. It seems he and Beth have a solid relationship. If she wants to keep Fran she may need to demonstrate that Iowa values him and MBB and is willing to put its wallet where's its mouth is.

I hate the East Coast, but Philly might be the best college basketball town in the country.

I have followed but not posted on this thread about Fran’s future. Here is 2 cents worth.

I would be shocked if he left Iowa in less than 3-5 years. He has recruited a team that could be pretty special. He may well build further in recruiting down the road.

I think when he leaves, it will be into retirement.

I would not be surprised if Jack changed his mind and committed to Iowa.

I don’t think a few off handed comments about his comfort level at Iowa are anything more than his tendency to be outspoken. He did not just fall off the turnip truck.

He is clearly frustrated with the crowd size. I am not surprised to hear him say so.
I am never surprised when Margaret speaks out. It is her thing.

I have no evidence to support the idea that Fran is unpopular with the Iowa fan base as a whole. He has created a family atmosphere for his teams, which plays well with the “Iowa Nice” concept. And he has won a lot of games, and continues to compete in an outstanding and very visible, (and rich) conference.

His interactions with the Media seem to be pretty warm and fuzzy.

seems solid with the new AD.

There you go…

I have followed but not posted on this thread about Fran’s future. Here is 2 cents worth.

I would be shocked if he left Iowa in less than 3-5 years. He has recruited a team that could be pretty special. He may well build further in recruiting down the road.

I think when he leaves, it will be into retirement.

I would not be surprised if Jack changed his mind and committed to Iowa.

I don’t think a few off handed comments about his comfort level at Iowa are anything more than his tendency to be outspoken. He did not just fall off the turnip truck.

He is clearly frustrated with the crowd size. I am not surprised to hear him say so.
I am never surprised when Margaret speaks out. It is her thing.

I have no evidence to support the idea that Fran is unpopular with the Iowa fan base as a whole. He has created a family atmosphere for his teams, which plays well with the “Iowa Nice” concept. And he has won a lot of games, and continues to compete in an outstanding and very visible, (and rich) conference.

His interactions with the Media seem to be pretty warm and fuzzy.

seems solid with the new AD.

There you go…
Nice post. I agree with most of your opinions here.

I live in Iowa City and from what I have heard (from a decent source), Jack's wanting to go somewhere else is rooted in the treatment that Connor and Patrick have received as players in the program. Which I don't blame him a bit. Of course, he could start looking around and come back to the idea of playing here. We'll find out soon enough.

FWIW, I don't see Fran leaving for at least another 1-3 years. Who knows? He seems to enjoy the challenge of coaching and teaching young men. He certainly doesn't need to be chasing the next big high-paying job.

I hate the East Coast, but Philly might be the best college basketball town in the country.

I spent two weeks in historic Philly for specialized training for the US government. Great place to eat a Philly cheese sandwich. I was disappointed in how dirty the city was outside of the historic part of town. There was a lot of trash laying around the city.

It was a fun experiences touring the war ship there. The wife came along to have time away from the kids and to study for her license to be a registered nurse. After touring the navel ship there we were going to just stroll off and check the area just off from where the naval ship was.

The guard stationed there over heard our conversation about checking out the area there a strongly suggested we stay close by the immediate area. He emphatically warned us that if we got more that two blocks away from river and warship that he would never see us again and neither would our kids see us again. I asked him if it really was that dangerous of an area and he said to us it was an extremely dangerous area.

There are things that maybe people
take for granted living in Iowa that we don’t show appreciation for. Kirk has openly shared his appreciation for the state and being able to live in Iowa. Iowa is a great place to raise a family. We moved away from Atlanta to Utah for the same reasons. I do prefer the mountains over the cornfields. I was pleasantly surprised to find that the weather in Utah is more mild in the winter time than it is in Iowa.

I spent two weeks in historic Philly for specialized training for the US government. Great place to eat a Philly cheese sandwich. I was disappointed in how dirty the city was outside of the historic part of town. There was a lot of trash laying around the city.

It was a fun experiences touring the war ship there. The wife came along to have time away from the kids and to study for her license to be a registered nurse. After touring the navel ship there we were going to just stroll off and check the area just off from where the naval ship was.

The guard stationed there over heard our conversation about checking out the area there a strongly suggested we stay close by the immediate area. He emphatically warned us that if we got more that two blocks away from river and warship that he would never see us again and neither would our kids see us again. I asked him if it really was that dangerous of an area and he said to us it was an extremely dangerous area.

There are things that maybe people
take for granted living in Iowa that we don’t show appreciation for. Kirk has openly shared his appreciation for the state and being able to live in Iowa. Iowa is a great place to raise a family. We moved away from Atlanta to Utah for the same reasons. I do prefer the mountains over the cornfields. I was pleasantly surprised to find that the weather in Utah is more mild in the winter time than it is in Iowa.

Grew up in Philadelphia

We moved to DM when I was in the 7th grade

What a pleasant surprise Iowa was/is