"There are certain things that just aren't negotiable."

I have not really studied RPO much. I was wrong in my thought that it involved the QB heavily involved personally in the run option. Didn’t like that idea. See Nebraska and the injuries the QB. Kind of ignored it. Your explanation helped me. It is consistent with what I have read about the real RPO, I think.

More recently, I actually look at RPO as a variation of the play action concept with much quicker, specific, limited reads. Play action does not allow the option, but relies on successful running plays to set up the pass. PA also relies more on the QB ultimately scanning the field and selecting options 1-3 on his reads. Tough on the QB and the O line. I think on the mark. To me, the RPO is very similar to play action with a different look. Play action is meant to freeze defenders, get the DL into run fits, and set up run plays, which hopefully slows the defenses reactions or at least makes them commit fewer players to the run. With RPO, it's very similar. There are different things that can be done out of the same look so the defense can't sell out as much as the straight dropback/gun with no backs or 2 backs and 2 TE. RPO can also help attack weaker defenders or one that aren't as disciplined. Our PA seems to be to set up a short pass or a flood with a short receiver and an intermediate receiver. I didn't see that with Lester's offense.

So, I would bet my next social security check that KF knew damn well what he was getting from Tim. The marriage of RPO and PA is a natural. Simple addition, I think. I am convinced we will see RPO on the field in 2024. A lot. Mix it in with PA. I like that. Opponents won’t. Completely agree. What I'm anxious to see is how we utilize our TE's. Lester didn't do much of that at WMU. I think you're right that the PA will fit in nicely with the RPO and it will help get the TE's the ball. RPO will do that too. I wonder how much we'll go under center. Lester's offense rarely does.

BTW, I have argued unsuccessfully that we count numbers to determine directions on running plays. Short side, wide side, doesn’t matter. Just count. Duh. I gave up trying but I know I'm right. I got it from a source that pretty close to the situation...KF. I heard him talk about it multiple times. I just keep my mouth shut.

I am a Packer fan. I read and listen to what they do offensively under Matt with apologies to Shannahan. I understand that he wants his QB to throw the damn ball, not run unless it presents itself. He relies heavily on inside/outside zone, which HN posters often complain about. I don't think a lot of posters understand IZ and OZ, what they do, and the purpose of it. A couple of years ago, the Bears led the league in rushing yards and rushing plays using zone blocking. There's a pretty good correlation between the two. This year, 4 of the top 9 rushing teams are the top 4 in plays using zone blocking (Bears--81%, Falcons--79%, Dolphins--75%, and 49ers--75% Packer’s run game uses counter, cut back action, man on man variations, including some vicious trap blocking. So does Iowa. I have argued long and hard that Iowa and the Pack have mirror offensive schemes. But, we were missing RPO. Now we are not. Go Hawks!

BTW, I coached for lots of years at CR Prairie and even longer at CR Kennedy. Mostly offensive backs. So I get O and blocking schemes.

Finally: I am not really good on coaching points for receivers and route selections. Enjoyed your views. Would be good to hear from you on this post. Criticism/corrections welcome.
Just some of my thoughts. I'm certainly no expert on a lot of these things, but I do feel like I know some of the basics of it. Great having an x's and o's discussion on here! Would love to have @hawkfan2679 chime in on this, but he hasn't been around for awhile.

I posted this in the Tim Lester is the guy thread but here it is again, so you don't have to go there to read it. I'm so looking forward to fall now.

UEcuxoA.png
In addition to not protecting the ball I didn't think we did a very good job of taking it away either, with the critical point of the Nebraska game being a notable exception.

Phil usually produces a ball hawking secondary but the INT's generally weren't there last year. Our turnover margin, usually among the best in the nation, had to have been negative by the end of the final two games we played.

In addition to Ethan Hurkett's pick, one of the biggest plays of the year may have been Mason Richman stripping a certain interception from a Wisconsin defensive lineman deep in our territory. Might have saved the game.

In addition to not protecting the ball I didn't think we did a very good job of taking it away either, with the critical point of the Nebraska game being a notable exception.

Phil usually produces a ball hawking secondary but the INT's generally weren't there last year. Our turnover margin, usually among the best in the nation, had to have been negative by the end of the final two games we played.

In addition to Ethan Hurkett's pick, one of the biggest plays of the year may have been Mason Richman stripping a certain interception from a Wisconsin defensive lineman deep in our territory. Might have saved the game.

You're right. We were almost as bad there are we were offensively. -7 which ranks 111th. FYI, Nebraska was one spot above last in the country @ -17 for the year.

Top 3 Nationally were Michigan, Penn St and Northwestern.

https://www.ncaa.com/stats/football/fbs/current/team/29/p3

Someone needs to ask if Kirk's goals contain a Big10 championship.. If so, then they need to ask Kirk straight up if he thinks this hire will get him there.

You can continue to parade that assumption. Sadly, it only results in confirmation that you have no idea what motivates coaches at KF’s level.
And you do?

Tell you what, we will find out pretty quick how this latest incarnation will work out. We will see how much rope Lester has.

stubborn-donkey.gif

Last edited:
Let's hope for the best for the players and all the coaches. Things will improve. Infact we should do pretty well next season.

Iowa has a very favorable schedule. Having the new PAC teams coming into the conference should be exciting. Maybe we can give them the same reception we gave Nebraska and their fans.

I've never understood the idea that it's bad to score quickly. FFS...the object of the game is to score more than your opponent. So if you can get points, take them! I know the rationale used to justify it. If you're playing a superior team, limiting the number of possessions will keep you closer. But it's still a "play not to lose" approach.
It's kept us in some games with superior opponents where we've won. No doubt. It's also kept inferior opponents in games where they shouldn't have been close and we've lost a number of those.
I don't think KF wants forego a quick score but does not want to gamble with risky passes, etc... Hopefully, KF did see enough to realize conservative play has to be "less" conservative. No one could assume KF didn't notice all the turnovers.

The last three seasons have probably been more the product of QBs for whom the entire playbook wasn't used and could not be trusted with any "risky" plays because every play was pretty risky.

I really think KF prefers to not score quickly. He lists the offense's goals in the following priority:
* possess the ball
* move the ball
* score.

He seemed to negotiate his principles plenty with Hill back there giving the ball away 2-3 times a game. If a RB fumbles more than once, he is likely riding the bench for the rest of the season. Hill was a turnover machine and KF kept running him out there until the last 13 minutes of the season. I think Hill has pictures of KF golfing with Satan or something. Either way, to say ball security is "non-negotiable" is laughable after 2023. He negotiated with himself plenty and kept sending Hill back out there to give the ball away.

Kirk will demand low risk period. Score zero, that's ok, just don't take risks. His son would be at the OC helm if allowed for the next 5 years running 125th to 131st in total offense and this would be complimentary football to Kirk. No problem with it. You can't fix this, he's dug in. Tim has to find a way to be successful where others have failed or he will end up in the same boat, done as OC in this business unless he takes a step back to Div 3. Taking this job with Kirk is a career killer. As I said on an earlier post, good luck Tim, you gonna need it.

Latest posts