UI Makes Lester Hire Official

What I was saying was to maximize it it does. Having a Spencer Petras run it or God forbid Deacon Hill would look a whole lot different and not as good then if someone mobile did. Could a healthy Cade run it? I think so but what's a healthy Cade even going to look like come August compared to Lainez and Resar who could both run circles around him.
Well, I chuckle because of course it does. But one could pretty much say that about any offense. In a drop back pro style offense, there would be an advantage having a QB with a running ability. Brad Banks at Iowa. Drew Tate at Iowa. They can extend plays or get 8 yrds on a 3 and 5. Brock Purdy extends plays.

Every coach would love to have a QB who can run when needed, but most are not fine with developing an offense around a running QB, because of the risk.

As far as Cade, I think him playing in a RPO will actually increase his odds of staying healthy. Teams can't just blitz the QB in the pocket like they could with Iowa's past QB's due to the style/pocket passer. The option is going to help to keep Cade cleaner, IMO.

Well, I chuckle because of course it does. But one could pretty much say that about any offense. In a drop back pro style offense, there would be an advantage having a QB with a running ability. Brad Banks at Iowa. Drew Tate at Iowa. They can extend plays or get 8 yrds on a 3 and 5. Brock Purdy extends plays.

Every coach would love to have a QB who can run when needed, but most are not fine with developing an offense around a running QB, because of the risk.

As far as Cade, I think him playing in a RPO will actually increase his odds of staying healthy. Teams can't just blitz the QB in the pocket like they could with Iowa's past QB's due to the style/pocket passer. The option is going to help to keep Cade cleaner, IMO.
It definitely gives the defense more to read which can slow down defenders. Defenders all have their individual jobs and responsibilities on any given play. DEs and LBs often are more reactionary to the look the O gives at the snap. DTs have their gaps. DBs are in man or whatever type of zone they'd be in or blitzing. RPOs that are ran quickly and deceptively can slow down defenders even a half step give the O an advantage.

It definitely gives the defense more to read which can slow down defenders. Defenders all have their individual jobs and responsibilities on any given play. DEs and LBs often are more reactionary to the look the O gives at the snap. DTs have their gaps. DBs are in man or whatever type of zone they'd be in or blitzing. RPOs that are ran quickly and deceptively can slow down defenders even a half step give the O an advantage.
This is what I am hoping. In the past, Iowa has had the same offense for 24 years. It seems the defenses after years of scouting could identify what play Iowa was getting in and they could really pin back their ears and blitz from the most advantageous angles or gaps. Coupled with that is that Iowa really believed in the pocket QB which with an immobile QB is pretty much a sitting duck. So, I agree with you about having a QB that can scramble or run, but in any offense.

This is a good explanation of the RPO offense. Note one of first things stated is that they really don't want the QB running.

After watching the video above which really explains it well, and it doesn't have to be too in depth at the beginning, I really hope KF is all in with going to this as the primary offense INSTEAD of just trying to incorporate some of it to his existing offense/philosophy. After watching, I really think Cade is a really good fit for it, especially with his experience starting already.

What I really like what is said is how different plays can be run out of the exact same formations, causing the defenders to not know what is coming. I realize most offenses prob do this as well but I think it's a bit different with the RPO. I think it will be less predictive than what Iowa has been running.

The question is, would Tim Lester agree to become the OC at Iowa if he was told they weren't going primarily to the RPO? It doesn't seem like the OC would take a job with a different offense.

Last edited:
This is what I am hoping. In the past, Iowa has had the same offense for 24 years. It seems the defenses after years of scouting could identify what play Iowa was getting in and they could really pin back their ears and blitz from the most advantageous angles or gaps. Coupled with that is that Iowa really believed in the pocket QB which with an immobile QB is pretty much a sitting duck. So, I agree with you about having a QB that can scramble or run, but in any offense.
That was definitely one of the largest problems with what they always had been doing. Iowa's situational play calling has just been so downright predictable that it doesn't matter how good your Oline is. If Dline can fire off the ball knowing which way to slant and Dbs know they can squat on a quick 10 yard comeback or out route it with no fear of a double move it makes the QBs job impossible too. Many of Iowa's plays never had a chance due to just what you said. And that's on the coaches 100%

This guy does a terrific job of breaking down plays and numbers.

The one concern I have with the RPO is the chance that a penalty could be called with lineman being downfield on pass reads because they think it might be a run. They will get called on that when it is egregious, but, it often is not called.

Last edited:
That was definitely one of the largest problems with what they always had been doing. Iowa's situational play calling has just been so downright predictable that it doesn't matter how good your Oline is. If Dline can fire off the ball knowing which way to slant and Dbs know they can squat on a quick 10 yard comeback or out route it with no fear of a double move it makes the QBs job impossible too. Many of Iowa's plays never had a chance due to just what you said. And that's on the coaches 100%
Exactly. You are correct that after years and being so predictable it really puts the O-line in a precarious situation. I'll go back to something I mentioned in a previous post and say that defenses and players could also play with the play in front of them and attack. This because Iowa would go laterally instead of downfield. The defenders always had to react to the play in front of them which is much easier than trying to defend downfield.

Last edited:

The one concern I have with the RPO is the chance that a penalty could be called with lineman being downfield on pass reads because they think it might be a run. They will get called on that when it is egregious, but, it often is not called.

And KF has begging for that penalty to be called for year. Now, we don't want it to be called!

And KF has begging for that penalty to be called for year. Now, we don't want it to be called!
IA lineman too slow to get far enough down field anyways. I think the bubble screens would have worked 2-3 Xs better with better movement in space by OLs.

Yeah he's not a good fit for that at all... Plus he won't be anywhere close to 100% for spring ball. The other guys will get all those reps. Is it blasphemous to say Lainez could start over Cade day 1? Both will be starting from scratch learning the offense. I'm not predicting it but this spring will be really fascinating to keep track of.

At least Lainez can run for his life. Cade can stand back there and let pigeons land on him. He can have the center try to clean the pigeon poop off of him.

All joking aside I think Cade will be pretty solid as long as he doesn’t trip over something when he goes out to eat at fast food places.

I’ve seen athletes strain or pull a muscle from time to time but just running and not even getting hit like Cade did is head scratching. Especially that serious of an injury. They should have just withheld him from starting until he was healed. The thing also is that he didn’t even look that good before he got re-injured. the second time.

In my opinion they should have just put Lainez in there and let him get his feet wet to have him more prepared for this upcoming season. Three and out, is three and out. Most of us on here could have managed that.

Here’s to hoping the new OC can bring in several new wrinkle’s and at least make the games entertaining. If not then back to sitting in the recliner, with a drink then finally a nap on football Saturdays. zzzzZZZ…….. zzzZZ…………..

At least Lainez can run for his life. Cade can stand back there and let pigeons land on him. He can have the center try to clean the pigeon poop off of him.

All joking aside I think Cade will be pretty solid as long as he doesn’t trip over something when he goes out to eat at fast food places.

I’ve seen athletes strain or pull a muscle from time to time but just running and not even getting hit like Cade did is head scratching. Especially that serious of an injury. They should have just withheld him from starting until he was healed. The thing also is that he didn’t even look that good before he got re-injured. the second time.

In my opinion they should have just put Lainez in there and let him get his feet wet to have him more prepared for this upcoming season. Three and out, is three and out. Most of us on here could have managed that.

Here’s to hoping the new OC can bring in several new wrinkle’s and at least make the games entertaining. If not then back to sitting in the recliner, with a drink then finally a nap on football Saturdays. zzzzZZZ…….. zzzZZ…………..
Totally agree that seemed obvious. But now that we have hindsight with what happened after that I can see why they kept him in there. Cause we had less then nothing behind him at all. Cade on one leg was better then Hill on his best day. And since the coaches were too stubborn to put in Labas instead or Laines until the bitter end they did what they did. Playing Cade on one leg knowing all that at least makes some sense and has logic to it. Not giving Labas or Lainez a shot at any point during the yr as Hill was stinking it up doesn't.

Nice video. So really the RPO should really be called the GPO, as in Give (to the RB) / Pass option.

I just heard a KF interview w/ Dolph @ halftime during the basketball game this evening. Three things he said about the Lester hire. These are near quotes as best as I could remember them:

"Some things aren't negotiable. Ball security is the priority."

"What can the offense do to help or not help the defense"

"We win most of the games when we don't turn over the ball".

Pretty much sums it up.

Nice video. So really the RPO should really be called the GPO, as in Give (to the RB) / Pass option.

Could be but the QB has to make a "Read" for the offensive play to have the best chance at succeeding. A QB who is quick to decipher and one who can make quick accurate throws will thrive best in the offense.

Latest posts