UI Makes Lester Hire Official

In Lester's years at WMU, his QB did not run a ton. The QB position generally ran about 5-6 times per game, counting sacks, and from anywhere between 50 - 300 yards per year. In his best offensive seasons his QB ran for <100 yards.

I think he has shown that he will utilize a running QB, and it can be very useful if a QB can scramble away from a mesh point and put a defense in conflict, but that is not a pre-req for a QB in his system.

They don't really have to run in it, but if they choose to, there should be better running lanes or scrambling area if they choose to take off compared to the system Iowa has been running.

I don't think we have any idea if these guys can be successful in the RPO. Are you talking about read-option? I think we have a pretty good idea they could succeed in read-option, but RPO is a different skill set. Processing speed, quick delivery, and accuracy are paramount, much more so than scrambling ability (but scrambling is a plus!).

I think the good things for our QBs is that the reads should be simpler, and the progressions shorter, but they have to be made lightning fast, and the ball has to be out on time and to the right spot.
I think read-option is what he was thinking about. A lot of people confuse the two.

In Lester's years at WMU, his QB did not run a ton. The QB position generally ran about 5-6 times per game, counting sacks, and from anywhere between 50 - 300 yards per year. In his best offensive seasons his QB ran for <100 yards.

I think he has shown that he will utilize a running QB, and it can be very useful if a QB can scramble away from a mesh point and put a defense in conflict, but that is not a pre-req for a QB in his system.
Which is damn near perfect for what I think KF would be ok with. Brad Banks only had 400 something back in 02. 250-350 yards is a significant amount still that both moves the chains and keeps defenses honest.

To maximize those RPO plays as a game plan you really need to have a mobile QB. To put Petras, Hill or a gimpy Cade back there and trying to run that would be pointless. Without the threat of the QB ever pulling it the D isn't going to be fooled. They just key on RB every time. That 3rd part of the option is huge

Which is damn near perfect for what I think KF would be ok with. Brad Banks only had 400 something back in 02. 250-350 yards is a significant amount still that both moves the chains and keeps defenses honest.

To maximize those RPO plays as a game plan you really need to have a mobile QB. To put Petras, Hill or a gimpy Cade back there and trying to run that would be pointless. Without the threat of the QB ever pulling it the D isn't going to be fooled. They just key on RB every time. That 3rd part of the option is huge
As with any offense, having a running QB is obviously going to be better and a bonus. I disagree that the RPO offense requires a running QB because it simply does not. You are mixing up what Vick and Lamar Jackson ran in their young years. Those offenses were designed around a QB's running ability.

This is a run pass option. The run option is a power running game utilizing the RB's or I suppose a receiver on a jet sweep or something. It doesn't mean it's the QB doing the running. The entire thought is having a QB at the line have the ability to identify where the number advantage is, decipher the play, and choose to correctly hand it off or pass due to the number imbalance. Those are the two options. If you have a running QB, that's just a bonus as that as the QB could possibly run on a designed play or if a play breaks down. It's a bonus but not a necessity to run the RPO offense. Also, most college and NFL coaches would prefer the QB not be a primary runner as it's the one position where you may really lose production with a backup if the QB is injured.

That's my take, anyway.

As with any offense, having a running QB is obviously going to be better and a bonus. I disagree that the RPO offense requires a running QB because it simply does not. You are mixing up what Vick and Lamar Jackson ran in their young years. Those offenses were designed around a QB's running ability.

This is a run pass option. The run option is a power running game utilizing the RB's or I suppose a receiver on a jet sweep or something. It doesn't mean it's the QB doing the running. The entire thought is having a QB at the line have the ability to identify where the number advantage is, decipher the play, and choose to correctly hand it off or pass due to the number imbalance. Those are the two options. If you have a running QB, that's just a bonus as that as the QB could possibly run on a designed play or if a play breaks down. It's a bonus but not a necessity to run the RPO offense. Also, most college and NFL coaches would prefer the QB not be a primary runner as it's the one position where you may really lose production with a backup if the QB is injured.

That's my take, anyway.

Agree, and that is backed up by Lester's best offensive years at WMU when his QB ran for about 50 yards for the entire season (still better than Hill's -114 last year!).

Also agree with the point both of you are making that a QB that can get out of trouble makes this offense twice as hard to defend. Sometimes its a pull read, but the D has done a great job of taking away your first pass option (we have done a really good job of this vs. Minny). If the QB can scramble away from the mesh point and keep the play alive, and all of a sudden a flat defender has to decide if he should stay with the bubble or attack the QB, the offense is going to win that play. We don't want a QB running a dozen times a game and taking shots, but a couple scrambles like that a game for 1st downs would be huge.

a couple scrambles like that a game for 1st downs would be huge

Why the hell would we want first downs? That is just more reps that the offense is on the field and it increases the likelihood of a botched play that puts the defense in a bad spot.

I don't think we have any idea if these guys can be successful in the RPO. Are you talking about read-option? I think we have a pretty good idea they could succeed in read-option, but RPO is a different skill set. Processing speed, quick delivery, and accuracy are paramount, much more so than scrambling ability (but scrambling is a plus!).

I think the good things for our QBs is that the reads should be simpler, and the progressions shorter, but they have to be made lightning fast, and the ball has to be out on time and to the right spot.
Thanks for the chance clarify to unclear writing. I meant both. Assuming Cade is healthy all year we cannot have him taking many hits. The offense should be in a read option end of QB mobility systems. Hopefully as the younger and athletically superior QBs are also working on more of a true RPO for more of a transition to a fuller RPO.

But this season, if we're playing Cade, I think we better limit his running to rollouts, moving the pocket and maybe a first down if a big hole opens and Cade and get the first down and still slide.

This is a system for a QB who processes fast. Brock Purdy processes fast and one of the reasons he's been so successful so fast in the NFL.

The system doesn't require a running QB, but as you point out that helps is the QB has that skillset. The system requires smarts and the ability to read numbers at the line of scrimmage than react fast during the play. I think Cade will be successful as he has experience and I think is a pretty smart guy when it comes to the QB position.

This will be a system QB, opposed to a QB with just pure raw talent.
Well, with Petras, Padilla and Hill we've seen three QBs with very little ability to read the field. Locked on the primary receivers. There are few great QBs but a lot of guys that can manage the game plan successfully and for a team that can win 10+ games.

Last edited:
We now know Marco is a RPO guy, Resar is a RPO guy and now Iowa has haired a RPO OC. I think there will be significant differences in the game plans/plays while still having the strategic goal to eat the clock. I think KF has realized there have been needed changes and changes will be made. You can control the clock when the QB runs or throws to some and especially when you get first downs.
I would prefer “PRO”. To clarify, I like first and foremost, a QB who can pass the ball.

Last edited:
Yeah, I am guilty of interchanging read option and RPO. Iowa hasn’t had a quarterback who could pull either one of them off since a healthy CJB .

Seriously if that happens just burn it all to the ground... Hill shouldn't even be on the depth chart. Lester has no loyalty to Cade or especially Hill. I'd like to think new OC and QB coach would have a pretty big say with his depth chart at that position.

And here's the thing we'll find out if you're right or not cause I can't see any way an outsider would have Hill above anyone other then maybe Resar. If Lester does his own evaluation of the Qb room and has Hill at #2 then he's a terrible hire. But I can't see that being the case. If Hill is # 2 it's because KF is absolutely pulling the strings with both hands.
Shame Lester couldn't have come in to run the bowl practices and evaluate talent. My dumb thoughts are this. Kirk had no intention of hiring anyone until he performed his evaluations of staff. Yes, that meant he evaluated a guy who was already fired and gone. Why?, because that's how Kirk has always done it and be dammed that anything was going to change his process. He might have had to let Brian go but he sure wasn't going to rush it. That being said, Lester's first test to fans will be who gets the number 1 reps at QB in the spring your absolutely right on that. Lester is a hire I'm willing to wait to see, but Budmeyer at WR's coach is an incredible stretch. Lester is an upgrade, time will tell how much.

That's my take, anyway.
^^ This.

RPO really has nothing to do with having a mobile QB, though certainly it's a plus if that threat exists. RPO means that the play has both options contingent on the pre-snap read. The tricky part is that it requires all of the involved players to make the read, so everyone has to be on the same page. Because of that, many OCs don't prefer it - too much room for error (e.g., the slot receiver reads run and goes to block, and the QB reads pass and the receiver isn't where he is expecting).

That's my take, anyway.
What I was saying was to maximize it it does. Having a Spencer Petras run it or God forbid Deacon Hill would look a whole lot different and not as good then if someone mobile did. Could a healthy Cade run it? I think so but what's a healthy Cade even going to look like come August compared to Lainez and Resar who could both run circles around him.

Shame Lester couldn't have come in to run the bowl practices and evaluate talent. My dumb thoughts are this. Kirk had no intention of hiring anyone until he performed his evaluations of staff. Yes, that meant he evaluated a guy who was already fired and gone. Why?, because that's how Kirk has always done it and be dammed that anything was going to change his process. He might have had to let Brian go but he sure wasn't going to rush it. That being said, Lester's first test to fans will be who gets the number 1 reps at QB in the spring your absolutely right on that. Lester is a hire I'm willing to wait to see, but Budmeyer at WR's coach is an incredible stretch. Lester is an upgrade, time will tell how much.
I wonder if we took a poll on that topic how it'd look. I'm in the camp that KF wouldn't have let him go still.. 10 wins baby that's his fall back reason for why BF has 'done a good job' Clearly pressure from fans and the media making BF a total laughing stock had no impact on them.

I thought their was an outside chance BF woulda just took a different position coach gig somewhere else the previous off season before this yr and just spare himself the embarrassment of being fired but he and KF rode it out to the bitter end forcing Goetz to do what she did.

Yeah I'm not sure what to think of Lester. His W/L record isn't great but he was at Syracuse when they were a total shit show and a MAC school. How's one really evaluate that fairly? So he'll get a fair shot from me and how his depth chart at QB for us looks early on is the first test. He's not going to get much of a honeymoon from this fan base which isn't fair to him but whether he knows it or not it's what he's signing up for.

Budmayr at WR coach is a total stretch I agree. Why on earth with as poorly as that group has been KF wouldn't have looked outside to find someone with experience and or having played it before is beyond me. Marvin McNutt is literally just up the road and he'd bend over backwards for that gig and would have the confidence of the fan base and respect of the players day 1. But hell it wouldn't even have to be him I'd think there's tons of good qualified candidates out there. Ones that didn't think Deacon Hill is a D1 qb for starters. I'm not sure I'd have kept Budmayr on at all as an analyst let alone given him the WR position gig.

^^ This.

RPO really has nothing to do with having a mobile QB, though certainly it's a plus if that threat exists. RPO means that the play has both options contingent on the pre-snap read. The tricky part is that it requires all of the involved players to make the read, so everyone has to be on the same page. Because of that, many OCs don't prefer it - too much room for error (e.g., the slot receiver reads run and goes to block, and the QB reads pass and the receiver isn't where he is expecting).
This is exactly correct. The other players have to identify the numbers and read the correct play or break or change a route if a WR. Ya have to have players that understand the numbers, location of defenders and the advantage.