It sounds Tim Lester is the guy.

No one is overwhelmed by the hire, but I think everyone agrees we have an upgrade. I am encouraged by a few things I have heard:

The Cover3 podcast agreed it was not a homerun hire, but they thought it could be a good fit. They mentioned that Lester produced more NFL talent at WR in his short tenure at WMU then Iowa has in the whole KF era. They noted that his pass schemes are more aggressive, better at allowing receivers to catch the ball on the move and in space, and generally better at scheming people open. WMU had one of the higher "depth of target" numbers in the country while he was there, and that was married to a run-heavy offense.

He has experience with power spread using 11 and 10 personnel and incorporating lots of RPO. But there also lots of clips using two TEs or two RBs, which happen to be our deepest and most talented skill position groups. Hawkeyegamefilm pointed this out on Twitter, noting that the way it puts defenders in conflict and gets them thinking is something Iowa badly needs. Here are some highlights:

QB doesn't need a big arm, just needs to be quick thinking and have a compact, accurate delivery (think Tanner Morgan).

I still envision a bunch of 3-and-outs as defenses play tight man and refuse to give us any space to run the bubbles and quick hitches. But I also envision more explosive plays as this philosophy seems better suited to make that strategy pay, even without elite WRs.

We need to give Lainez the ball until he does something that warrants taking it away from him. You go with the hot hand and even in a limited showing, he had the hot hand. The kid had TN confused, there’s no debating that. If he can avoid sacks from our rag tag OL and let Proctor swat flies on his blind side, let the kid try to be Brad Banks, he did a good job against a D line that was bigger and faster than anything else the Hawks saw last year sans Michigan.

Cade McNamara is ten year old BMW with tranny problems and 300,000 miles. Looks flashy from a distance till you get up close and actually drive it.
I seem to recall you praising Hill after his first couple of appearances. I think you used words like "moxy" or "it" or words to that effect. I am too lazy to look up your posts, but you thought Hill was an upgrade over McNamara, so, there is that.

To describe Lainez as having a "hot hand" after making a few heady scrambles and not handing the ball over to the other team every series is a bit of a reach.

To be clear, he should go into Spring Ball as the clear #1. McNamara will not be ready to my understanding. I hope he gets all the reps and comes into Fall ready to compete for the starting position. But, if (and I know its a big IF) McNamara is healthy, he is highly likely to be the starter.

I will take what my eyes in what I saw at Michigan, and the experts who voted him all-conference, over a quarter of mop-duty and an odd declaration of hot-handedness.

Either way, that room needs to wish Hill a fond farewell and add another body through the portal IMHO.

I seem to recall you praising Hill after his first couple of appearances. I think you used words like "moxy" or "it" or words to that effect. I am too lazy to look up your posts, but you thought Hill was an upgrade over McNamara, so, there is that.

To describe Lainez as having a "hot hand" after making a few heady scrambles and not handing the ball over to the other team every series is a bit of a reach.

To be clear, he should go into Spring Ball as the clear #1. McNamara will not be ready to my understanding. I hope he gets all the reps and comes into Fall ready to compete for the starting position. But, if (and I know its a big IF) McNamara is healthy, he is highly likely to be the starter.

I will take what my eyes in what I saw at Michigan, and the experts who voted him all-conference, over a quarter of mop-duty and an odd declaration of hot-handedness.

Either way, that room needs to wish Hill a fond farewell and add another body through the portal IMHO.
I did like Hill, and I still think he has moxie. And I gave him a shot until he started playing like shit which is exactly what I suggest with Lainez. Regarding Hill, if you're thinking I or anyone else have to stay locked into an opinion as the season ebbs and flows and he has more results (or lack of), that's bonkers.

Lainez performed better for his minutes than any Iowa QB at any point in the season. That's by definition the hottest hand in the room. Would he stay that way? Who the hell knows...but you ride it till it breaks. You don't revert back to something that didn't work worth a shit at all.

Lainez has shown he can move, avoid sacks, and gain yards with his feet. It doesn't matter if he only played a quarter. Iowa is a team that until he came into the game could do none of that. At any point. Our other two QBs are slow, ungainly in the case of Hill, and are playing behind one of the worst OLs in the history of Iowa football since '79. If Proctor wasn't here it'd be the undisputed worst. There's zero reason not to give the ball to the guy who's gaining yards and not relentlessly getting hit 12 yards behind the LOS.

No one is overwhelmed by the hire, but I think everyone agrees we have an upgrade. I am encouraged by a few things I have heard:

The Cover3 podcast agreed it was not a homerun hire, but they thought it could be a good fit. They mentioned that Lester produced more NFL talent at WR in his short tenure at WMU then Iowa has in the whole KF era. They noted that his pass schemes are more aggressive, better at allowing receivers to catch the ball on the move and in space, and generally better at scheming people open. WMU had one of the higher "depth of target" numbers in the country while he was there, and that was married to a run-heavy offense.

He has experience with power spread using 11 and 10 personnel and incorporating lots of RPO. But there also lots of clips using two TEs or two RBs, which happen to be our deepest and most talented skill position groups. Hawkeyegamefilm pointed this out on Twitter, noting that the way it puts defenders in conflict and gets them thinking is something Iowa badly needs. Here are some highlights:

QB doesn't need a big arm, just needs to be quick thinking and have a compact, accurate delivery (think Tanner Morgan).

I still envision a bunch of 3-and-outs as defenses play tight man and refuse to give us any space to run the bubbles and quick hitches. But I also envision more explosive plays as this philosophy seems better suited to make that strategy pay, even without elite WRs.
This makes me feel much more comfortable listening to him break down those plays, like stating the WR in the 2nd play had to have a "thicker" route. Attention to details.

All plays can be ran out of it and should have the advantage if the QB can count!

Last edited:
I did like Hill, and I still think he has moxie. And I gave him a shot until he started playing like shit which is exactly what I suggest with Lainez. Regarding Hill, if you're thinking I or anyone else have to stay locked into an opinion as the season ebbs and flows and he has more results (or lack of), that's bonkers.

Lainez performed better for his minutes than any Iowa QB at any point in the season. That's by definition the hottest hand in the room. Would he stay that way? Who the hell knows...but you ride it till it breaks. You don't revert back to something that didn't work worth a shit at all.

Lainez has shown he can move, avoid sacks, and gain yards with his feet. It doesn't matter if he only played a quarter. Iowa is a team that until he came into the game could do none of that. At any point. Our other two QBs are slow, ungainly in the case of Hill, and are playing behind one of the worst OLs in the history of Iowa football since '79. If Proctor wasn't here it'd be the undisputed worst. There's zero reason not to give the ball to the guy who's gaining yards and not relentlessly getting hit 12 yards behind the LOS.
Lainez had the most rushing yards by an Iowa QB in a game in 9 years. 9 years!

He did that in what, maybe 12 or 13 snaps?

Don't overthink it. He at least found a way to move the ball.

Lainez had the most rushing yards by an Iowa QB in a game in 9 years. 9 years!

He did that in what, maybe 12 or 13 snaps?

Don't overthink it. He at least found a way to move the ball.
Fry's open disdain for a QB who had offers from Notre Dame, Michigan, Georgia, Bama and USC out of high school, and who led his previous college team to a conference title and playoff bid, astounds. All we saw of the kid in an Iowa uniform was a one-legged QB. Even with a serious injury, he showed pocket presence and the ability to limp out a few scrambles. If McNamara comes back from this injury close to 100%, I will take my chances with a QB I have seen win Big Dick games on the largest stage over a nice looking QB prospect who ran for his life with some skill during mop up duty in a blow-out bowl game.

I should not be shocked. Fry has also panned the import of signing the #1 LT in the portal because some of his new teammates didn't look great blocking for a (moxified) QB whose feet were stuck in cement and who seemed to have money on the other team given how many times he gave the ball away.

Look, if this fan base thinks that KF is incapable of taking 315 pound 4 star kids with 2 years of starting experience and turning them into serviceable OL as upperclassmen, (as long as they have a QB who doesn't suck!), then Beth needs to take KF behind the barn and put him down. Given that very few posters on this board, including Fry, want KF fired, how about we believe that he is still the coach that has put a lot of OL into the NFL and that the old man still knows what the F he is doing when it comes to OL development. Just a thought.

Fry's open disdain for a QB who had offers from Notre Dame, Michigan, Georgia, Bama and USC out of high school, and who led his previous college team to a conference title and playoff bid, astounds. All we saw of the kid in an Iowa uniform was a one-legged QB. Even with a serious injury, he showed pocket presence and the ability to limp out a few scrambles. If McNamara comes back from this injury close to 100%, I will take my chances with a QB I have seen win Big Dick games on the largest stage over a nice looking QB prospect who ran for his life with some skill during mop up duty in a blow-out bowl game.

I should not be shocked. Fry has also panned the import of signing the #1 LT in the portal because some of his new teammates didn't look great blocking for a (moxified) QB whose feet were stuck in cement and who seemed to have money on the other team given how many times he gave the ball away.

Look, if this fan base thinks that KF is incapable of taking 315 pound 4 star kids with 2 years of starting experience and turning them into serviceable OL as upperclassmen, (as long as they have a QB who doesn't suck!), then Beth needs to take KF behind the barn and put him down. Given that very few posters on this board, including Fry, want KF fired, how about we believe that he is still the coach that has put a lot of OL into the NFL and that the old man still knows what the F he is doing when it comes to OL development. Just a thought.
the old man still knows what the F he is doing when it comes to OL development.
The last few years of evidence would suggest otherwise.

The last few years of evidence would suggest otherwise.
I disagree. There is a massive relationship between QB play and OL play (and setting aside an untalented OC). For the past three seasons we have had completely immobile QBs who are not particularly accurate throwers down the field. They could not scramble and had terrible pocket presence. So, every defense was putting 8 men in the box and bringing them downhill because there was no risks behind them. I don't care how good a line you have, there is just one too many to block on nearly every play.

I have also seen improvement in this line over the last two years. It is not evident from the stat sheet, but we were getting push up front on running plays even with stacked boxes. Hill had time to throw a decent amount of times if he could just move around.

Next year, if Cade or Lainez are healthy, this OL will do its job and the offense will be average. If Hill is back there, the OL will continue to appear to underperform (but they would still look better than this past year). The OL's job is to block, but who they are blocking for is pretty damn critical.

BTW, I would lay money that at least 3 OL that will start this year will get drafted at some point, and the other two will get camp opportunities. Tell me I am wrong.

I disagree. There is a massive relationship between QB play and OL play (and setting aside an untalented OC). For the past three seasons we have had completely immobile QBs who are not particularly accurate throwers down the field. They could not scramble and had terrible pocket presence. So, every defense was putting 8 men in the box and bringing them downhill because there was no risks behind them. I don't care how good a line you have, there is just one too many to block on nearly every play.

I have also seen improvement in this line over the last two years. It is not evident from the stat sheet, but we were getting push up front on running plays even with stacked boxes. Hill had time to throw a decent amount of times if he could just move around.

Next year, if Cade or Lainez are healthy, this OL will do its job and the offense will be average. If Hill is back there, the OL will continue to appear to underperform (but they would still look better than this past year). The OL's job is to block, but who they are blocking for is pretty damn critical.

BTW, I would lay money that at least 3 OL that will start this year will get drafted at some point, and the other two will get camp opportunities. Tell me I am wrong.

In addition, I wonder how many times our WR's outran the QB read on routes when they did have ample time. When they did throw downfield, they have been woefully horrible. As you point out, everything is relational in the offense. When there is one bad cog it affects the other. It just didn't mesh well the past few years. The OL was inconsistent and not giving the QB's time, the QB's were not helping the OL as you point out. The run game wasn't there putting the offense in too many 3rd and longs.................which again puts a lot of pressure on the OL and not in a good situation.

It's just when one thing was up, another thing was down and vise versa. Never clicking on all cylinders at the same time, it seems.

In addition, I wonder how many times our WR's outran the QB read on routes when they did have ample time. When they did throw downfield, they have been woefully horrible. As you point out, everything is relational in the offense. When there is one bad cog it affects the other. It just didn't mesh well the past few years. The OL was inconsistent and not giving the QB's time, the QB's were not helping the OL as you point out. The run game wasn't there putting the offense in too many 3rd and longs.................which again puts a lot of pressure on the OL and not in a good situation.

It's just when one thing was up, another thing was down and vise versa. Never clicking on all cylinders at the same time, it seems.
This is a reasonable response, Melrose, and your overall point about the relationship between all of these various groups of players and coaches is spot on. All I will again emphasize is that over the past 3 seasons we have had godawful QB play week in and week out, and our OC/QB coach utterly failed to improve that position. You just cannot win at a high level in football without at least competent QB play. The 2002 Iowa OL would not have done much better with Hill and Petras behind them.

This is a reasonable response, Melrose, and your overall point about the relationship between all of these various groups of players and coaches is spot on. All I will again emphasize is that over the past 3 seasons we have had godawful QB play week in and week out, and our OC/QB coach utterly failed to improve that position. You just cannot win at a high level in football without at least competent QB play. The 2002 Iowa OL would not have done much better with Hill and Petras behind them.
Yes, and this day in age in college football and the NFL, much of it is how good of QB & WR's a team has.

Brian had his downfalls, but as far as what they ran, the philosophy should work if have the ingredients needed (skill players) and the team mesh. Brian's downfall was not really being able to coach the QB's with his background, and perhaps recruiting top players.

I think having Lester coming in is going to improve that QB play and I think he may find a better balance with the power run game with the passing game. I think they will compliment each much better which will put less stress on the QB and O-line.

Kind of getting excited. Welcome coach Lester!

If our new OC can elevate the offensive performance to 90-100th in Division 1 we will be a lot better football team. I will be very happy if that happens next year.

Yes, and this day in age in college football and the NFL, much of it is how good of QB & WR's a team has.

Brian had his downfalls, but as far as what they ran, the philosophy should work if have the ingredients needed (skill players) and the team mesh. Brian's downfall was not really being able to coach the QB's with his background, and perhaps recruiting top players.

I think having Lester coming in is going to improve that QB play and I think he may find a better balance with the power run game with the passing game. I think they will compliment each much better which will put less stress on the QB and O-line.

Kind of getting excited. Welcome coach Lester!
Let's scrap the passes behind the lines and 2 - 3 yards down field. With our tight ends we should be throwing at least 4 yards when we throw.

Thinking of seeing Lainez running a legit RPO offense is really intriguing me. Having James Resar coming in to learn it his first year also excites me for the future. I think Cade with his experience can have success even if his option of running is not really there. He'll have experience with making the correct read for the power running game or to pass depending on what he sees and where the numbers are. I think he's smart enough guy. Also, the RPO can also keep him healthier if the defenses have to key on stopping the option. He will see less rush or pressure which is key for him next year.

Last edited:
Let's scrap the passes behind the lines and 2 - 3 yards down field. With our tight ends we should be throwing at least 4 yards when we throw.

I also don't understand those, especially when a team doesn't get the talent a Texas or Ohio St. gets to run them. What it is, is pretty much a proxy run game if you think about it.

I don't understand how there can't be 5-15 yrd plays downfield that are relatively safe to run. I don't get the risk vs reward of throwing lateral pass plays, unless only need a couple yrds to move the chain or something, or if the defender is playing 10 yrds plus off or something.

When you think about it, it really puts more pressure on a D when you play downfield. When you pass laterally or real short, the defense always has the play in front of them, especially if they know their assignment and know there is a 75% chance the offense is going to run this by scouting. The key is the defender is playing everything in front of them. If the offense goes downfield, it gets the defenders scrambling a little more and hopefully out of position on some plays.

This isn't rocket surgery, folks!

I'm one who thinks if you are going to take the risk of passing, at least go downfield some. Make it worth it.

Last edited:

The bubbles are a big part of Lester's RPO package, but so are aggressive routes downfield. I predict we will see plenty of bubbles that go for negative yards, but hopefully also lots of deep-ins, skinny posts, and wheels that allow our guys to get space and catch on the move. WMU had a very high Depth-of-Target when he was coaching there.

The bubbles are a big part of Lester's RPO package, but so are aggressive routes downfield. I predict we will see plenty of bubbles that go for negative yards, but hopefully also lots of deep-ins, skinny posts, and wheels that allow our guys to get space and catch on the move. WMU had a very high Depth-of-Target when he was coaching there.
I don't mind and would keep the bubble passes. I used to cringe every time we ran it because it looks so busy and dangerous, but I don't think it really is after all. There is a designed blocking to it to create running lanes which is much better than just passing laterally to a WR to try to get some yards. It is completely different and the bubble play is a legit designed play with a purpose. We have seen many times in the past success running it so the risk vs reward has proven to be worth it with that play. I would keep that one in the arsenal as it can provide some good plays and cross up defenses with numbers.

I think there's a lot to digest here. We can all agree, our O-line was atrocious. Hoping another year of experience and the addition of Proctor will help. The poor O-line play did not help Hill. But I saw other issues. Mechanics. He seemed like a pitcher with a slow wind up and just threw fastballs at receivers.

The other thing I noted a lot was his timing. Specifically, it seemed several times he did not throw on time, but behind receivers which obviously coupled with his lack of touch, did not lead to much success. Throw in how he held the ball and his slow delivery, it lead to fumbles and turnovers.

I do agree to an extent, that any quarterback would have struggled with the bad line play. But Hill had other deficiencies that did not help his play. I just don't think Hill will have a spot for playing time moving forward. Hoping Lainez is #1 or will be by the time Spring Ball ends. Also hoping CMc gets healthy and will be ready for the Fall.

IF Lainez can get a lot of reps in the Spring and CMc gets healthy and is ready by Fall, I think we will be ina better place and hopefully Hill does not see the field.

I have to laugh at people thinking about this new offense. Let's not forget who the HC is. It wasn't all Brians fault that the same plays were run. If someone is hitting you on the top of your head, would you not think it was a good idea to put your arms up and block it. Kirk, the last few years seems to enjoy the thumping. Thank you sir, may I have another!!!!

Latest posts