Is Tim Lester the Right Guy? Maybe. Maybe Not

No matter if you grabbed a bum in front of Home Depot, the offense couldn’t be worse than what we have suffered through the last three years.

Let’s wait and see how this works out. Then go into praise or attack mode.

It’s comical to think there were people crowning Brian to be the heir to replace Kirk when Brian was hired. What are the odds of that happening now?

Will the nick name Queen Beth or Queen Meth be on the horizon?

I thought Willie Guy was the highest rated Iowa recruit ever and also player WR, but he may have not been recruited as a WR?

I suppose he doesn't count as he was before the "star" system, so a bit apples to oranges. Depending on who you trust (he predates my Iowa fandom, so I have no idea), he may have been the #1 overall recruit in the nation.

In terms of top recruits in the star-system era, that is still Bonecrusher:

However, I do believe Kayden Proctor will surpass him, once that list is updated.

I think points made went over your head. Sorry.

In conclusion, the main point, nobody knows if it was a good hire despite what you might hear. Would you like me to guess? I can do that.

Would have to agree here. As I'm only one fan, I want to see what he can do and if KF gives him just a little flexibility to do his thing.

As I posted in another thread. Except for his final year at WM as the head coach his offense put up some good numbers.

I have to believe he'll be an improvement over the coaches son.

I hope he is, Guy had less than 600 career yards at Iowa.
He was nowhere as fast as the recruiting "experts" thought he was. I did play rec league softball against him in CR maybe 3-4 years after he graduated. He could hit the ball hard and far.

I don't think it will take that long. KF does not have that long. At his age, and with the wolves at the gate, there is going to be a damn short honeymoon for KF's hiring of Lester. That said, the expectations are so damn low, and with the amount of returning players, it is not hard at all to believe that the offense will be better. They literally cannot get a whole lot worse. But, if the stat line is:

20 points (by the offense)
140 yards rushing
170 yards passing
One turnover or less per game
50% or better time of possession

Lester will be praised as a genius. Um, those numbers aint exactly great, but they are an improvement. Anything beyond that and we can start discussing when he takes over as HC!
My gut is that Kirk will still be around another 4-5 years regardless of what happens, but we'll see.

As for Lester, I agree that it probably won't take long for improvement. The bar is set about as low as it goes. Just pointing out that it's not realistic to think that any coordinator can come in and wave a magic wand. Fans will have to be a little patient.

My gut is that Kirk will still be around another 4-5 years regardless of what happens, but we'll see.

As for Lester, I agree that it probably won't take long for improvement. The bar is set about as low as it goes. Just pointing out that it's not realistic to think that any coordinator can come in and wave a magic wand. Fans will have to be a little patient.
And look, if McNamara can come back and stay healthy and be 85% of what he was at Michigan, coupled with everything else we have coming back, there is a chance Lester looks like a savant. If he somehow could get the offense to just mediocre, that would be rather remarkable. Not impossible.

First off the offense won’t be much better until the oline improves significantly. If the oline improves significantly then the offense will be much better. The oline should be significantly better. If the offense is in the top 90 in the country it will be much improved. The bar is set so low that Lester should have very little trouble getting over it.

Furthermore if the offense is not improved I would have to say that the blame should go completely on Kirk. Lester has shown that he’s capable of producing a decent offense. Granted that could be because he was facing lesser competition but he was also working with lesser talented players. If Iowa is last in offense again then it’s time for Kirk to step down. You can’t pay someone what Kirk is getting paid for that kind of results.

I think points made went over your head. Sorry.

In conclusion, the main point, nobody knows if it was a good hire despite what you might hear. Would you like me to guess? I can do that.

Sorry, all I was trying to say, based on the thread title, that I was expecting a story that listed the pros and cons of Tim Lester. But the story did not have one fact about Tim Lester himself. You know, maybe Tim Lester was a good hire because of reasons A, B, C. Maybe not because of reasons D, E, F. So I suggested changing the title of the thread because I was expecting a story about Tim Lester.

My mistake, I guess it was over my head. I will move on.

As has been pointed out already we do not have to improve all that much to be a much better team. Move up to 100 the first year, move up to 70 the second year, move up to 50 the third year and you easily have great improvement and that improvement will make a difference. Go Tim Lester and go Hawks!

Willie Guy played QB in high school but was recruited by Hayden as a WR. Rankings were different then and as CP87 points out, there was no star system yet. But IIRC, he was ranked as the #1 recruit nationally. He was a huge get at the time.

Sorry, all I was trying to say, based on the thread title, that I was expecting a story that listed the pros and cons of Tim Lester. But the story did not have one fact about Tim Lester himself. You know, maybe Tim Lester was a good hire because of reasons A, B, C. Maybe not because of reasons D, E, F. So I suggested changing the title of the thread because I was expecting a story about Tim Lester.

My mistake, I guess it was over my head. I will move on.

You were expecting something based on a headline that would cover more than what you expected.

I think the headline covered what I wrote. That's why I didn't change it.

Latest posts