It sounds Tim Lester is the guy.

They should hit the portal for another back-up QB.....right now we have one back-up that can't do anything...Hill....another who showed he can run....but he can pass? The other has glass legs.
Well the portal is shut. Only Qbs on the table would be Bamas and Michigans with their 30 day window due to coaching changes. It opens up again after spring ball though which is when the moving and shaking will really happen. Not to mention Iowa's significantly over the 85 limit. Iowa will be pushing more guys to get into it more so then trying to bring guys in. We did try to lure Thompson to come which woulda been nice but that didn't happen. If a good Qb that fits and makes sense falls in their laps yes I could see Iowa taking one. But that feels like a pipe dream. My best guess is the guys we have now will be who we go to battle with next season.

Hill should really be encouraged to leave. However there's no other program out there willing to give him a scholarship so he should have zero desire to. What happens to him will be interesting. I'm fine with him staying on the team if they are literally stuck with him. But burry him on the depth chart behind Cade, Lainez and Resar.

Last edited:
I love how outraged some people are about this, as if anything is going to change in terms of offensive production.

As long as Kurt is in charge we are going to see the same thing on the field we’ve been seeing the past half decade.

Iowa’s offensive recruiting is firmly in the garbage can now that we’ve been the worst in the land for years, and what you’re seeing now is a result of that. We could bluff our way through it before because Iowa had recruits coming in at times that could be huge difference makers. Not anymore. There are no CJs, no ISM, no Wadley/Daniels, no Matt Vanderbergs (yeah, even that guy was orders of magnitude better than what we have now), no Goodson, no LaPorta/Hockenson/Fant, no top 5 B1G offensive line.

What we have now (because of our results tanking recruiting) are a bunch of Deacon Hills, Rico Nagainis, Addison Ostrengas, and Nick De Jongs. D-1 players? Sure. But good enough to contend in the new B1G? Nope. Thank Kurt and his vision of the family business for that.

Look, anyone thinking there would be a splash hire or that the offense will change is, frankly, either a moron or knows nothing about Iowa football. Because neither of those two things are happening. Enjoy it while it lasts.
Go ahead and leave out that we have a QB who was one of the top portal gets from last season in the entire country (albeit he has a glass jaw) and definitively the #1 LT portal transfer in the entire country. We also have a returning OL that has about 120 starts between them. We have a TE that will be a high draft pick next season, and a stable of very good RBs. WR sucks, although the kid from OSU could emerge. With a competent OC and QB coach, WHICH WE NOW HAVE, the offense will at least be below average next season.

But hey, focus on guys who won't be playing next year to make your point about how much you hate "KURT" and Iowa in general.

Go ahead and leave out that we have a QB who was one of the top portal gets from last season in the entire country (albeit he has a glass jaw)
He's been a fizzle compared to the savior he was supposed to have been. Until he proves otherwise it makes zero difference if he was "one of the top gets." Google "recruiting busts" for some easy reading material on the lack of relationship between hype and results.

...and definitively the #1 LT portal transfer in the entire country.
Drill 5 holes in a boat, plug one, and see how long it still floats.

We also have a returning OL that has about 120 starts between them.
We have a returning OL that has been one of the poorest in the league for a few years under the same coach that hasn't improved the unit, only gotten worse. If you see something substantive that leads you to believe it's going to get better other than playing time (ya know, the whole 'definition of insanity' thing...), let the rest of us know.

We have a TE that will be a high draft pick next season..
I sure hope so, but after missing almost the entire season with a broken ankle I wouldn't say it's 100% that he's going to be back at the same level. Again, who's going to throw to him?

WR sucks, although the kid from OSU could emerge.
If ifs and buts were candy and nuts...

With a competent OC and QB coach, WHICH WE NOW HAVE, the offense will at least be below average next season.
Sonofabitch. I typed all that out before realizing this was a huge troll post...well done.

24 years ago I was listening to the radio when it was announced on a sports talk radio show that Iowa has announced Kirk Ferentz as its new head coach to replace Hayden Fry. The very first thing that I blurted out while grilling ribs was "Who the hell is Kirk Ferentz".

Well, that turned out relatively well for Iowa so I guess I'll give this guy a chance and benefit of the doubt to prove himself. One never really knows.

I love how outraged some people are about this, as if anything is going to change in terms of offensive production.

As long as Kurt is in charge we are going to see the same thing on the field we’ve been seeing the past half decade.

Iowa’s offensive recruiting is firmly in the garbage can now that we’ve been the worst in the land for years, and what you’re seeing now is a result of that. We could bluff our way through it before because Iowa had recruits coming in at times that could be huge difference makers. Not anymore. There are no CJs, no ISM, no Wadley/Daniels, no Matt Vanderbergs (yeah, even that guy was orders of magnitude better than what we have now), no Goodson, no LaPorta/Hockenson/Fant, no top 5 B1G offensive line.

What we have now (because of our results tanking recruiting) are a bunch of Deacon Hills, Rico Nagainis, Addison Ostrengas, and Nick De Jongs. D-1 players? Sure. But good enough to contend in the new B1G? Nope. Thank Kurt and his vision of the family business for that.

Look, anyone thinking there would be a splash hire or that the offense will change is, frankly, either a moron or knows nothing about Iowa football. Because neither of those two things are happening. Enjoy it while it lasts.

Not disagreeing with your overall point, but I will quibble about Ostrenga...he is going to be an NFL player, and I wouldn't be surprised if he ends up a very good one.

Well the portal is shut. Only Qbs on the table would be Bamas and Michigans with their 30 day window due to coaching changes. It opens up again after spring ball though which is when the moving and shaking will really happen. Not to mention Iowa's significantly over the 85 limit. Iowa will be pushing more guys to get into it more so then trying to bring guys in. We did try to lure Thompson to come which woulda been nice but that didn't happen. If a good Qb that fits and makes sense falls in their laps yes I could see Iowa taking one. But that feels like a pipe dream. My best guess is the guys we have now will be who we go to battle with next season.

Hill should really be encouraged to leave. However there's no other program out there willing to give him a scholarship so he should have zero desire to. What happens to him will be interesting. I'm fine with him staying on the team if they are literally stuck with him. But burry him on the depth chart behind Cade, Lainez and Resar.
Yes look in the Spring when it opens up.....see if there is a good fit. Unlike Fry's above comments saying the portal is basically a waste of time for Iowa.

Yes look in the Spring when it opens up.....see if there is a good fit. Unlike Fry's above comments saying the portal is basically a waste of time for Iowa.
I think Iowa will be looking. I mean the whole Ty Thompson thing came out of thin air it felt like and he was about to visit before Tulane promised him a starting spot pretty much. We'd have gladly taken him had he decided to come. It should be someone's job on staff to not only be scanning the portal but scouting other schools for possibilities. Other schools are straight up tampering with guys they like so if we aren't we're falling behind anyway. The portal is by no means a waste of time. Thankfully the staff doesn't treat it that way even if they don't like it.

It pretty much is at QB. Everyone thought the McNamara thing was a home run and it wasn't. What's your sales pitch to someone who's even at that level, let alone more capable?

Guys are in the portal for a reason. Either it isn't working where they've been in the past or they blew up into a player with a way higher ceiling than their current school. There are some truly elite guys that once in a while end up there like Penix, but those types aren't coming here, my friend.

Kurt's succession experiment has all but killed Iowa's recruiting appeal. The slow burn that's been happening over the past 6 or 7 years isn't gonna stop with some OC no one's ever heard of, or a transfer portal where your only options are leftovers after the other 129 better P5 offenses have had their pick.

Go ahead and leave out that we have a QB who was one of the top portal gets from last season in the entire country (albeit he has a glass jaw) and definitively the #1 LT portal transfer in the entire country. We also have a returning OL that has about 120 starts between them. We have a TE that will be a high draft pick next season, and a stable of very good RBs. WR sucks, although the kid from OSU could emerge. With a competent OC and QB coach, WHICH WE NOW HAVE, the offense will at least be below average next season.

But hey, focus on guys who won't be playing next year to make your point about how much you hate "KURT" and Iowa in general.
He’s damaged goods. There’s a reason he transferred down

He's been a fizzle compared to the savior he was supposed to have been. Until he proves otherwise it makes zero difference if he was "one of the top gets." Google "recruiting busts" for some easy reading material on the lack of relationship between hype and results.

We have a returning OL that has been one of the poorest in the league for a few years under the same coach that hasn't improved the unit, only gotten worse. If you see something substantive that leads you to believe it's going to get better other than playing time (ya know, the whole 'definition of insanity' thing...), let the rest of us know.

I sure hope so, but after missing almost the entire season with a broken ankle I wouldn't say it's 100% that he's going to be back at the same level. Again, who's going to throw to him?

Sonofabitch. I typed all that out before realizing this was a huge troll post...well done.
You did forget

You forgot one thing, try telling the guy lost in the middle of the desert the glass is half full.

24 years ago I was listening to the radio when it was announced on a sports talk radio show that Iowa has announced Kirk Ferentz as its new head coach to replace Hayden Fry. The very first thing that I blurted out while grilling ribs was "Who the hell is Kirk Ferentz".

Well, that turned out relatively well for Iowa so I guess I'll give this guy a chance and benefit of the doubt to prove himself. One never really knows.
Can never tell, hell no one can predict when lightning strikes! I remember a year we were unbeaten in regular season that no one could of predicted but we enjoyed that ride. Now with the new format I doubt we'll see it again and so will alot of other teams. But I did hear about a blind one eyed deaf dog with three legs hit by a car 4 times and still runs the streets named Lucky and even lost a nut jumping barbwire and fathered a hundred strays. Anything is possible!

I'm not as down on this hire as most seem to be. I was ready to be pissed but decided to see what I was going to be pissed about before I got pissed about it.

I watched a long series of instructional videos about his offenses and some videos of his teams' offenses. I got pretty excited with what I saw as far as the scheme is concerned. If he can stay healthy, it seems like an offense that Cade, or a QB like him, could flourish in.

His offenses averaged 31.8 PPG at WMU. From what I could find, he called plays every year there except the first year, when Johns was his OC.
(Johns' teams averaged have 31.6 PPG). Doesn't necessarily mean that much, but it's all about scoring points, especially with our defense and his offenses have produced points.

I see so many judging him on his head coaching record. His defenses gave up an average of 30 PPG and were never in the top 50. Based on his offenses alone, they produced. I realize it was the MAC, but PJ Fleck's teams averaged nearly the same amount of points there as Lester's and he was considered an offensive douchebag genius and it got him promoted to a B1G school and a HEAD coach.
Your second sentence gets an “A+”

There are some people on this site that are famous for saying every coaching hire is a crap shoot. That poster is correct. I mean, by definition, half of the 130 teams playing football are below average and there coaching hires clearly did not work out. Luckily, under KF, Iowa has been far from below average as a team.

I see no basis to assume that this guy is not going to work out. KF's offenses have been better in the past under KOK and even under BF pre-pandemic. A fresh voice and system, especially one that coaches QBs for a living, seem highly likely to benefit the offense. He only has to be marginally better than the worst OC in the country to make a difference. So, I have low expectations. Lester just has to put a competent, unspectacular offense on the field that can score with a short field and not turn the ball over. I think he can do that !!!!!!

Look, the only part of this that warrants a response is the OL. Unlike you, I have seen individual improvement and improvement as a whole on the OL. The four main guys that will start next to Proctor have gotten better the last two seasons. You can believe that or not, but its true. They were going to be a good unit next year without Proctor. With Proctor, you have an anchor at the most important position, and then you have a lot of size and experience up and down the line. They could be good.

What no one wants to talk about is that the OL can only do so much with poor QB play. BF and KF have put tragically bad QBs out there for 3 years straight. Petras was a statue that suffered from beaten puppy syndrom. The other kid was worse. This past year, we never saw McNamara as anything other than a one-legged QB. Hill was the worst QB in the history of the program. Are those things KF/BF's fault? Yes, they recruited poorly for the position and stuck with losers way too long.

The success of the new OC and Iowa's offense will, SHOCKINGLY, come down to QB play. If McNamara remains injured/ineffective, and Iowa runs Hill out their at QB, then the new OC will fail and there is little the OL can do about that. But, if the new OC can elevate the level of play in the room that he has sat in as a player, position coach, and head coach his entire adult life, then the OL will be a good unit and support that improved QB play. One cannot have an effect offense without good QB play. That is the ingredient that has killed Iowa of late.

There are some people on this site that are famous for saying every coaching hire is a crap shoot. That poster is correct. I mean, by definition, half of the 130 teams playing football are below average and there coaching hires clearly did not work out. Luckily, under KF, Iowa has been far from below average as a team.

I see no basis to assume that this guy is not going to work out. KF's offenses have been better in the past under KOK and even under BF pre-pandemic. A fresh voice and system, especially one that coaches QBs for a living, seem highly likely to benefit the offense. He only has to be marginally better than the worst OC in the country to make a difference. So, I have low expectations. Lester just has to put a competent, unspectacular offense on the field that can score with a short field and not turn the ball over. I think he can do that !!!!!!
Look, I don't doubt that the guy might be good. But when you say there's no obvious reason he's not going to work out you're ignoring the one screaming right in front of your face.

Kirk Farence.

1) Brian should've never been allowed to happen as an experiment. Donors should've slammed the door on it and they didn't. Gary Farta's an idiot but he didn't have the power to make that decision...Kurt said he wanted his boy to ride shotgun and the money went along with it. Shame on them.

2) Iowa could've played some cards right and gotten a better OC this 'round. It didn't, because KF is on the midnight train to Fuckkettsville. He got his dream of continuity of the theown flushed down the toilet in a very public way, and he'll go down with the ship to spite the crew if he needs to.

3) Even if this guy is good, Kay Eff is never going to allow him to spread his wings and fly. That's why I think the whole thing is pointless and absurd. He's not going to have some snot nosed punk from a JV school come in and work a bunch of magic and have his first-born son look like even more of an idiot. If you think Iowa donors couldn't have thrown enough money, hookers, and blow at Paul Chryst to get him to come here you're wrong. KF didn't want him here.

So yeah...that's why its bonkers to expect anything other than the status quo.

And for the record, I don't hate Kurt. Iowa's had some really, really good years. And when he leaves, it's game over no matter what unless he makes a solid replacement hire (there's a short list, but I digress...). So none of this matters much, it's just that KF consciously killing recruiting for the next decade with his nepotistic debacle is speeding it up a few notches.

He's got the size to transition him to the OL.

Glad to see that Tim Lester was not the Offensive Coordinator for Syracuse in 2006 when Norm Parker's Iowa Defense stopped the Syracuse Offense for 8 consecutive plays inside the 5 yard line. Often referred to as " THE STAND"

Look, I don't doubt that the guy might be good. But when you say there's no obvious reason he's not going to work out you're ignoring the one screaming right in front of your face.

Kirk Farence.

1) Brian should've never been allowed to happen as an experiment. Donors should've slammed the door on it and they didn't. Gary Farta's an idiot but he didn't have the power to make that decision...Kurt said he wanted his boy to ride shotgun and the money went along with it. Shame on them.

2) Iowa could've played some cards right and gotten a better OC this 'round. It didn't, because KF is on the midnight train to Fuckkettsville. He got his dream of continuity of the thrown down the toilet in a very public way, and he'll go down with the ship to spite the crew if he needs to.

3) Even if this guy is good, Kay Eff is never going to allow him to spread his wings and fly. That's why I think the whole thing is pointless and absurd. He's not going to have some snot nosed punk from a JV school come in and work a bunch of magic and have his first-born son look like even more of an idiot. If you think Iowa donors couldn't have thrown enough money, hookers, and blow at Paul Chryst to get him to come here you're wrong. KF didn't want him here.

So yeah...that's why its bonkers to expect anything other than the status quo.

And for the record, I don't hate Kurt. Iowa's had some really, really good years. And when he leaves, it's game over no matter what unless he makes a solid replacement hire (there's a short list, but I digress...). So none of this matters much, it's just that KF consciously killing recruiting for the next decade with his nepotistic debacle is speeding it up a few notches.
Status Quo has been the worst offense in P5 football for 2 years. Is that really what you expect will happen? Come on.

And I love the notion of this:

Lester: slot right I, 82 Chair Out and Up
KF: What are you doing, man?
Lester: Um, calling a play to try to get Brown a TD
KF: Do you not get what we are trying to do here, man? Really? Calling plays that might end in success? Are you insane? God I miss, Brian. He understood the formula. (Screaming at the huddle): Just hand it off and run into the guards back!!!!!!!

It pretty much is at QB. Everyone thought the McNamara thing was a home run and it wasn't. What's your sales pitch to someone who's even at that level, let alone more capable?

Guys are in the portal for a reason. Either it isn't working where they've been in the past or they blew up into a player with a way higher ceiling than their current school. There are some truly elite guys that once in a while end up there like Penix, but those types aren't coming here, my friend.

Kurt's succession experiment has all but killed Iowa's recruiting appeal. The slow burn that's been happening over the past 6 or 7 years isn't gonna stop with some OC no one's ever heard of, or a transfer portal where your only options are leftovers after the other 129 better P5 offenses have had their pick.
I wouldn't say Iowa needs an allstar out of the portal (although it would be nice). Just a serviceable, proven back-up option if Glass Legs goes down. Sure as shit don't want to fall back on HIll, Marco we still need to see more of to make a judgement call. It would be nice, will it happen....who knows.

Latest posts