Just took a gander at the other site...

SwirlinLingerie

Holy shit there is some racist garbage being posted on there. Not like slightly behind the times or someone being contrarian, but straight up offensive.

Bummed me out given I've been a lifelong member of this fan base. And extra bitter given I grew up in Iowa City when Stringer was building this program.

Made me think it's not too shabby around this site.

In general, in my personal opinion and having grown up and spent most of my 44 years in the great state of Iowa....

overall, especially in rural Iowa, it is overall pretty racist, intolerant and homophobic in general. Now, IMO, it's a lot better than it was when I was coming up in the early 90's but it's still pretty shitty. When I was growing up I heard the N word, the F word (3 letter) or the R word several times a day and that was from kids, parents, teachers....whatever, we heard it and heard it a lot.

I think the younger generation is much better than they were back in my day so I do have faith it can and will get better.... but like when the whole racial bias thing happened at Iowa I was like "well yeah, I am sure it's rampant and real" because ya know, I've been to Iowa and it's fairly common to see discrimination on the reg in this state. I was not shocked at all. It's not just an Iowa thing either, it's just undeniably not a great place to people of color, trans or gay communities and I don't think that's something that can just change over night but there's faith for the future.

In general, in my personal opinion and having grown up and spent most of my 44 years in the great state of Iowa....

overall, especially in rural Iowa, it is overall pretty racist, intolerant and homophobic in general. Now, IMO, it's a lot better than it was when I was coming up in the early 90's but it's still pretty shitty. When I was growing up I heard the N word, the F word (3 letter) or the R word several times a day and that was from kids, parents, teachers....whatever, we heard it and heard it a lot.

I think the younger generation is much better than they were back in my day so I do have faith it can and will get better.... but like when the whole racial bias thing happened at Iowa I was like "well yeah, I am sure it's rampant and real" because ya know, I've been to Iowa and it's fairly common to see discrimination on the reg in this state. I was not shocked at all. It's not just an Iowa thing either, it's just undeniably not a great place to people of color, trans or gay communities and I don't think that's something that can just change over night but there's faith for the future.
Two of the three you threw out there aren’t biblical…so there’s that

Holy shit there is some racist garbage being posted on there. Not like slightly behind the times or someone being contrarian, but straight up offensive.

Bummed me out given I've been a lifelong member of this fan base. And extra bitter given I grew up in Iowa City when Stringer was building this program.

Made me think it's not too shabby around this site.
This is why we have OT here and enforce it. HR is a cesspool, and a lot of people here don't realize how much of a cesspool it really is.

But Iowa City is pretty much. Actually it is very liberal as most large universities/colleges are. Most student athletes that come to Iowa City aren't going to spend much time or at all in rural Iowa or the smaller towns.

But Iowa City is pretty much. Actually it is very liberal as most large universities/colleges are. Most student athletes that come to Iowa City aren't going to spend much time or at all in rural Iowa or the smaller towns.
True, but a lot of their fellow students and student atheletes did grow up in those communities.

True, but a lot of their fellow students and student atheletes did grow up in those communities.
I'd say most kids who grow up in those areas only talk like that because they are never around black people. I doubt too many racist hicks ever even move out of their small town, let alone go to college.

I'd say most kids who grow up in those areas only talk like that because they are never around black people. I doubt too many racist hicks ever even move out of their small town, let alone go to college.
I grew up in a small town and when I go back there I can notice it is really different. The people are different, good and bad. The sense of community is there which is cool, but everybody also knows your shit. It is just a really different feeling. Like it's more simplistic. It does feel like they are in this sort of bubble, if you will.

I had a similar experience growing up in small town Iowa. Much of my family is still there and the types of jokes and derogatory language uttered back in the day is no longer acceptable, and that is great. Heck, I did not even meet a black person until I was 10 as far as I can remember. The internet and cable TV have, for better or worse, made the world smaller and more connected. Every generation becomes wiser on this issue and more tolerant. Things have changed for the better on this front, but certainly not everywhere and everyone.

This is why we have OT here and enforce it. HR is a cesspool, and a lot of people here don't realize how much of a cesspool it really is.
Back when I still subscribed I once directly informed TK about this problem and his response was, "well it's really easy to report"

Back when I still subscribed I once directly informed TK about this problem and his response was, "well it's really easy to report"
Problem is you report it and they don't moderate.

HR is strictly for the money and run by guys who are doing other Hawkeye media stuff. They don't care about the boards.

Iowa is assumed racist by those outside the state because of the lack of significant population of minorities. But to say it's more racist than other parts of the country is not really true. The racism in the south is the real deal. Iowans are mostly stares and talk. Most of the racism in Iowa stems from culture clash and lack of exposure to other cultures. Iowans would have been just as upset about Angel's behavior if she had been white. Haden scoring a TD late was about as bad as an Iowa team has ever gotten with poor sportsmanship. I think the Illinoy coach once yelled something at the ISU coach after a big Hawkeye win. Not really a Hawkeye history of this behavior. It was a really nasty move by Staley to frame Iowa and it's fans during the tournament as racist, which was picked up on by the media. I really think she did this intentional seeing Iowa as a threat to change the landscape of women's basketball. LSU was only too happy to pick up the baton. Really dirty pool.

Iowa is assumed racist by those outside the state because of the lack of significant population of minorities. But to say it's more racist than other parts of the country is not really true. The racism in the south is the real deal. Iowans are mostly stares and talk. Most of the racism in Iowa stems from culture clash and lack of exposure to other cultures. Iowans would have been just as upset about Angel's behavior if she had been white. Haden scoring a TD late was about as bad as an Iowa team has ever gotten with poor sportsmanship. I think the Illinoy coach once yelled something at the ISU coach after a big Hawkeye win. Not really a Hawkeye history of this behavior. It was a really nasty move by Staley to frame Iowa and it's fans during the tournament as racist, which was picked up on by the media. I really think she did this intentional seeing Iowa as a threat to change the landscape of women's basketball. LSU was only too happy to pick up the baton. Really dirty pool.
Interesting post.

I grew up in Philadelphia, living with my Grandmother and Aunt who was a secular nun

We were the only white family in the entire neighborhood

Second, third, and fourth grade I had to walk almost a mile to school

Only had a few incidents all that time, I would take the alleys to school because
it was quicker

The alleys intersect in some neighborhoods and on occasion, I would get stopped
by older lads who would be waiting at the intersection

They would say: Give us your money

I would say: I don't have any money pulling my pockets inside out

Then they would say give us your lunch

I would hand my lunch over, they would nod at me and I would go on my merry way

Never got into fights at school

Everyone got along in the neighborhood everyone was cool

Preston Daniels, the former mayor of DM is a personal friend

I met him when I was going to Drake and working at Younkers Department Store

We were working in the display department, and I helped him get oriented

One time he came home with me for supper and to meet the family

We walked in and everyone was sitting at the table

I introduced Preston: this is my friend Preston who works with me

My father, two sisters, and my brother said: Hi, Preston

My stepmother had a bitter look on her face and said nothing

She grew up in a small Iowa town, Weldon

Her brother had a bust of Adolph Hitler on his mantle

When a black person looks at you they immediately know if one is racist or not

In a split second

:cool:

I

Is the racism in the South really that different? Or is it just more blatant and obvious? Btw, if Angel were white, this would be a completely different conversation. The racial tension was there, right underneath surface, even before the SC game…IMO, Staley and LSU just ripped the band aid off.

I

Is the racism in the South really that different? Or is it just more blatant and obvious? Btw, if Angel were white, this would be a completely different conversation. The racial tension was there, right underneath surface, even before the SC game…IMO, Staley and LSU just ripped the band aid off.
Did they rip the band aid off or did they create the tension?

Latest posts