Commitment Imminent?--Peter Jok?

He isn't athletic, the hope is he can become athletic, but he isn't there yet.

You are describing a player you wish existed, but certainly not Jok. He is a shooter. I asked one of the national scouts- Jerry Meyer (I don't recall if he works for Rivals or Scout) on twitter what he thought of Jok, he basically said marginal player but good shooter.

Who is Jerry Meyer? Fran is a bigtime college basketball coach who is paid a million dollars a year to recruit and coach. What are Jerry Meyers' qualifications, if any?

Fans have always knocked his cousin,Loul Deng, for not being athletic either. But Deng works his butt off on defense, is a good shooter,and is very long...sound familiar? These Sudanese players have length but seem a bit thin...Deng has worked his body into a strong small forward body at 6'9''. They tend to be late bloomers physically,but eventually can have very good bb physiques with those long arms.

Not saying he is Luol Deng, and admittedly I am a big Deng fan who watched him go thru some physical ailments early as a Bull,but continue to work until he is now an ironman who played the 3rd most minutes in the league in 2011 and played thru a torn wrist ligament in 2012,refusing to sit. If Peter has Luol's will and heart....sign him up!

Who is Jerry Meyer? Fran is a bigtime college basketball coach who is paid a million dollars a year to recruit and coach. What are Jerry Meyers' qualifications, if any?

If that is an honest question, Jerry Meyer is the national recruiting analyst for 247sports. Fran is the only high major coach to offer.

If that is an honest question, Jerry Meyer is the national recruiting analyst for 247sports. Fran is the only high major coach to offer.

What is your point? A guy that puts kids on paper or a guy that depends on who he brings into his program...I will take the latter as the one who knows a little bit more about what he is doing...what is your deal with Jok...he will be an asset to the team in some capacity. If he returns to anywhere near form you will should feel dumb when you cheer for him. Injuries can cause set backs in development, but kids that don't feel sorry for themselves after injury become players with high BBIQ.

What is your point? A guy that puts kids on paper or a guy that depends on who he brings into his program...I will take the latter as the one who knows a little bit more about what he is doing...what is your deal with Jok...he will be an asset to the team in some capacity. If he returns to anywhere near form you will should feel dumb when you cheer for him. Injuries can cause set backs in development, but kids that don't feel sorry for themselves after injury become players with high BBIQ.

He's got a nice looking shot but he shot 37.3% as a junior from 3 pt range. He is not athletic by Big Ten standards. He could be another Glen Worley but Worley was bigger and a better defender (even though he fouled a ton).

I guess I was just hoping that Fran would have more of a "sure thing" at this point. Not giving a scholly to a guy who may contribute 2 or 3 years down the line as just a shooter. When teams like Creighton and UNI have not even offered the guy, I don't see why Fran is telling other recruits that they have an "imminent" recruit visiting this weekend.

Jok is a guy they could probably get if they offered well into the winter months.

Someone asked who Jerry Meyer is, so I told him. I care because the national recruiting analysts are pretty good judges of talent.

I have no deal with Jok, I just don't like seeing Iowa taking a risk on a player that no other high major coach is willing to do.

I will not feel dumb when I cheer for him, if Jok commits I am going to be a fan of him and hope for the best. I hope he ends up an NBA all-star, but I don't think so.

It isn't personal in any way.

FWIW
Peace

Someone asked who Jerry Meyer is, so I told him. I care because the national recruiting analysts are pretty good judges of talent.

I have no deal with Jok, I just don't like seeing Iowa taking a risk on a player that no other high major coach is willing to do.

I will not feel dumb when I cheer for him, if Jok commits I am going to be a fan of him and hope for the best. I hope he ends up an NBA all-star, but I don't think so.

It isn't personal in any way.

FWIW
Peace

Did you feel the same way about the recruitment of Aaron White? He wasn't high on any of your expert's lists, nor did he have a lot of offers from the high majors you speak of. Yet our staff recognized that he had the talent to compete successfully in the Big Ten. Frankly, I put more stock in Coach McCaffery's ability to recognize basketball talent over some of these so called experts who often just seem to copy each other.

Did you feel the same way about the recruitment of Aaron White? He wasn't high on any of your expert's lists, nor did he have a lot of offers from the high majors you speak of. Yet our staff recognized that he had the talent to compete successfully in the Big Ten. Frankly, I put more stock in Coach McCaffery's ability to recognize basketball talent over some of these so called experts who often just seem to copy each other.

Funny as I was just going to make that same argument. +1 for you

Jok has plenty of talent. His circumstances have not been not ideal in DM. Plus, he switched schools last year, then he had to defer to Abrahamson, who was already the star on the team. I suspect he will be quite a different player this year, and if he is the guy Fran is after, we'll be pleased Fran secured him before others come snooping around (again).

I love the prospect of getting Jok. The first video I saw of him he had a turnaround fadeaway jump shot that reminded me of Michael Jordan. Do I think he's the next Jordan? No but that is who he reminds me of.

Watching Matthews' video, I have to question whether this is about a player being expected to commit or if the coaches just finally looked at his shot and thought, we already have two kids in the backcourt who will play D and don't shoot the ball particularly well. Do we need another? If at any point you had Matthews, Ingram, and Clemons on the court together, you would be totally reliant on post scoring or break always on steals.

Chronological order matters. That's old.

"Jerry Meyer ‏@jerrymeyer247

RT @Hawkstrat:What are your thoughts on Peter Jok as a prospect?// great shooter. limited elsewise. marginal high major prospect. shooter "

I might respect this guys opinion, if he had actually taken the time to look in depth into Peter Jok recently like Fran has. I doubt very seriously that he has watched him play multiple times, talked to his coaches about his progress, and talked to Jok himself extensively like Fran has. That is great that he is just throwing out his opinion on Jok with his very limited data......I personally trust the guy who has actually put time and effort into evaluating the kid, and is comfortable taking him into his system as his only recruit for 2013.

I love the prospect of getting Jok. The first video I saw of him he had a turnaround fadeaway jump shot that reminded me of Michael Jordan. Do I think he's the next Jordan? No but that is who he reminds me of.

I know how that goes. A lot of people in my playing days said I reminded them of John Stockton. They weren't saying I was the next Stockton, just that's who I reminded them of.

Latest posts