Olesani's "Bad" Form

conn53victor

I will admit that, although I love basketball, I don't know that much about it, but it seems to me that part of Olesani's slow development is his comparative late intro to the game. That would explain his bad form in this photo. We all learned in elementary school that you start shooting down by your hip and force the ball up from around shoulder height in a desperate attempt to get the ball as high as the rim. This dude has a lot to learn. (photo from Iowa City Patch: credit Stephen Schmidt)

166f37d2dd4a908506a2951e8643a31e

he could have started that shot in proper form and what you are seeing is near the apex and follow through.

I will admit that, although I love basketball, I don't know that much about it, but it seems to me that part of Olesani's slow development is his comparative late intro to the game. That would explain his bad form in this photo. We all learned in elementary school that you start shooting down by your hip and force the ball up from around shoulder height in a desperate attempt to get the ball as high as the rim. This dude has a lot to learn. (photo from Iowa City Patch: credit Stephen Schmidt)

Starting a shot from hip level? Really? Sure, if you are 4 years old and don't have the strength to shoot the ball using your arm strength. Cmon. This is downright stupid.

maybe he caught it up high. as a former "big man" you don't bring that ball down because that is where it will get slapped out of your hands.
also, you can't tell where his shot started from a picture.

The only thing you can tell is Basabe is not putting forth an effort here. standing straight up, not going out to defend the shot, legs are pretty straight. No excuse for that.

Starting lineup will be
Gessell
Marble
White
McCabe
Olesani/Woodbury

So everyone who doesn't start from hip has been a failure? Didn't he shoot 14/22 in the game? Man, just imagine if he had good form. Really, if he's comfortable and makes >50% then it's fine by me. Although I have to admit that I wrestled so what do I know.

Improper form is not a harbinger of lack of productivity (see Shawn Marion). Also, there is many unorthodox shots taken in the course of a basketball game (i.e. running floaters), so I'm not sure that without a video or series of photos much can be taken away from this photograph.

Besides the late start in the game I doubt he saw many d1 athletes in competition during his high school playing days, I may be completely wrong on this just making a statement as I've never heard anything or could find much on this (He played in the National Association of Christian Athletes for high school, although he did win a national championship with his high school team). If this is the case I'm sure fundamentals were not stressed on him, as his size alone presumably gave him a great advantage over his competition.

Sorry, I read this again and LOL'd. I don't believe he'll have a problem getting the ball as high as the rim.

Was the first post not tongue in cheek?
That's beautiful form especially considering hens a big.
Right hand directly under the ball, left hand on the side keeping it in place but not impeding the right hand follow through. And it definitely look like it will be a high release point.

A center should have the ball up high in the lane. You never want the ball down by his waste. The guards and smaller players will strip if the ball is held waste high. Looks good to me.