An Iowa basketball resurgence?

HawkeyeHypnosis

http://www.desmoinesregister.com/article/20120714/SPORTS/307140019/1001/NEWS/?odyssey=nav|head

From article:

ESPN college basketball analyst Fran Fraschilla says the fiery sideline demeanor of Iowa coach Fran McCaffery brings needed energy to the Hawkeyes.

McCaffery was awarded a new, seven-year contract with Iowa last week.

“I worked for Gary Williams. No one was more worked up on the sidelines than him,â€￾ Fraschilla said. “Off the court, I know Fran as a calm, level-headed guy — but he’s super passionate on the sideline. His intensity is a positive.â€￾

Fraschilla said McCaffery puts in the necessary work to elevate teams.

“I’ve known Fran a long time. He’s a guy who’s never, taken a shortcut in terms of his career or building programs,â€￾ Fraschilla said. “He’s coached at various levels, he’s had success, he’s done it with integrity — and he’s a great basketball coach.â€￾

Seems like practically everyone but our Clone and Badger buddies think Coach McCaffery is on the right track. I'm afraid they're in for a rude awakening.

I think it is hard to appreciate the level of rebuilding undertaken by Fran to get this headed in the right direction.
If you really think about Lick's last year, it's almost remarkable they won 10 games. That team was devoid of any experienced, solid talent. It had Lil' Lick playing big minutes--a freshman in Payne--playing around 30 a game (who was quickly outshined by BC)

While he was with the team Tucker played the PG some as well; Marble looked like Magic Johnson at the point compared to him.

The cupboard wasn't just bare but was non-existent.

I remember watching Iowa play their first game under Fran as well as the Internet streamed games of the Caribbean tourney (with the world's greatest announcers!!).

That team could barely get shots up at the rim. It was utterly depressing to watch--just searching for glimmers of hope.

Now to juxtapose that with the NIT games, it is amazing.

Lol, do you all remember your first reaction when you heard who Barta had hired......in text terminology......OMG!!!! Kill Barta now!!! Then as I sat and listened to the first press conference I totally changed my attitude. He was very confident and just seemed like he just knew exactly what needed to be done to get things turned around.

That last game of the regular season against highly ranked Purdue that first season seemed to me like a benchmark game. The energy compared to the last two regular season games under Lickliter; the difference between day and night. It didn't take a basketball genious to see that Fran knew what he was doing and if he could recruit some tall athletic post players then Iowa would be well on their way to being the type of program we knew in the mid seventies through the mid 90's with Lute, George, and Tom.

Are we completely there yet? No, but we appear to be heading in the right direction. Once we get back in the NCAA tourney and other teams don't look forward to playing us and we are finishing some where in the top five every year in the Big Ten, then we will officially be back.

Last edited:
Lol, do you all remember your first reaction when you heard who Barta had hired......in text terminology......OMG!!!! Kill Barta now!!! Then as I sat and listened to the first press conference I totally changed my attitude. He was very confident and just seemed like he just knew exactly what needed to be done to get things turned around. That last game of the regular season against highly ranked Purdue that first season seemed to me like a benchmark game. The energy compared to the last two regular season games under Lickliter; the difference between day and night. It didn't take a basketball genious to see that Fran knew what he was doing and if he could recruit some tall athletic post players then Iowa would be well on their way to being the type of program we knew in the mid seventies through the mid 90's with Lute, George, and Tom. Are we completely there yet? No, but we appear to be heading in the right direction. Once we get back in the NCAA tourney and other teams don't look forward to playing us and we are finishing some where in the top five every year in the Big Ten, then we will officially be back.

Great post... I wasn't sold on Fran till that press conference. Talk the talk, now hes walkn' the walk!

LETS BE MAD AGAIN!!!!!!!!

Seems like practically everyone but our Clone and Badger buddies think Coach McCaffery is on the right track. I'm afraid they're in for a rude awakening.

Bucky got a wakeup call last year but was on to deep of a sleep from watching boring Boboball to hear it.

Mark my words.. Fran will make his mark on IOWA BB..

Sorta key and not really is the Peter Jok timing, talent and why not?

If the kid can recover and be who is.. becomes a Hawkeye.. a great story and he goes onto a lottery pick because Fran stays with him...

who knows?

Mark my words.. Fran will make his mark on IOWA BB..

Sorta key and not really is the Peter Jok timing, talent and why not?

If the kid can recover and be who is.. becomes a Hawkeye.. a great story and he goes onto a lottery pick because Fran stays with him...

who knows?

lol+meme.gif

Lol, do you all remember your first reaction when you heard who Barta had hired......in text terminology......OMG!!!! Kill Barta now!!! Then as I sat and listened to the first press conference I totally changed my attitude. He was very confident and just seemed like he just knew exactly what needed to be done to get things turned around.

That last game of the regular season against highly ranked Purdue that first season seemed to me like a benchmark game. The energy compared to the last two regular season games under Lickliter; the difference between day and night. It didn't take a basketball genious to see that Fran knew what he was doing and if he could recruit some tall athletic post players then Iowa would be well on their way to being the type of program we knew in the mid seventies through the mid 90's with Lute, George, and Tom.

Are we completely there yet? No, but we appear to be heading in the right direction. Once we get back in the NCAA tourney and other teams don't look forward to playing us and we are finishing some where in the top five every year in the Big Ten, then we will officially be back.

Good stuff. I remember hearing who Barta hired and asking my dad "who is this guy?" Then found out he was from Sienna and I thought "okay, they were athletic and not bad, but who is this guy?" Well, its safe to say I'm glad to know who this guy is now. McCaffery revived my passion for Iowa basketball starting with that Purdue game. Being there, you could just feel he was going to bring basketball back. So far, he is doing a damn good job.

http://www.desmoinesregister.com/article/20120714/SPORTS/307140019/1001/NEWS/?odyssey=nav|head

From article:

ESPN college basketball analyst Fran Fraschilla says the fiery sideline demeanor of Iowa coach Fran McCaffery brings needed energy to the Hawkeyes.

McCaffery was awarded a new, seven-year contract with Iowa last week.

“I worked for Gary Williams. No one was more worked up on the sidelines than him,†Fraschilla said. “Off the court, I know Fran as a calm, level-headed guy — but he’s super passionate on the sideline. His intensity is a positive.â€

Fraschilla said McCaffery puts in the necessary work to elevate teams.

“I’ve known Fran a long time. He’s a guy who’s never, taken a shortcut in terms of his career or building programs,†Fraschilla said. “He’s coached at various levels, he’s had success, he’s done it with integrity — and he’s a great basketball coach.â€

Integrity? Does that include using back channels and third parties to convince a 19-year old kid to reneg on his commitment? Fran better hope the real story on how he was connecting to Uthoff doesn't come out.

And what exactly does a 12-24 conference record in 2 years indicate that Iowa is "back?" Iowa's claim to fame is beating Wisconsin twice (Bo Ryan's worst team at UW).

http://www.desmoinesregister.com/article/20120714/SPORTS/307140019/1001/NEWS/?odyssey=nav|headFrom article:ESPN college basketball analyst Fran Fraschilla says the fiery sideline demeanor of Iowa coach Fran McCaffery brings needed energy to the Hawkeyes.McCaffery was awarded a new, seven-year contract with Iowa last week.�I worked for Gary Williams. No one was more worked up on the sidelines than him,� Fraschilla said. �Off the court, I know Fran as a calm, level-headed guy � but he�s super passionate on the sideline. His intensity is a positive.�Fraschilla said McCaffery puts in the necessary work to elevate teams.�I�ve known Fran a long time. He�s a guy who�s never, taken a shortcut in terms of his career or building programs,� Fraschilla said. �He�s coached at various levels, he�s had success, he�s done it with integrity � and he�s a great basketball coach.�
Integrity? Does that include using back channels and third parties to convince a 19-year old kid to reneg on his commitment? Fran better hope the real story on how he was connecting to Uthoff doesn't come out.And what exactly does a 12-24 conference record in 2 years indicate that Iowa is "back?" Iowa's claim to fame is beating Wisconsin twice (Bo Ryan's worst team at UW).

they arent the same situation but i believe fran could have been an *** to ben brust but he wasnt...and i am pretty sure most people knew where he was going when he reneged and im sure there was no improper talk going on there **cough**cough**wink**wink**

you are so butthurt over uthoff leaving yet you claim he would have never seen the floor because he wasnt as good as others...those are contradictory. if he isnt good enough to play for the badgers why would you carry if he left? if you care that he left why would you say you think he isnt worth anything because he must be if you keep talking about it, right? such a contradiction...obviously you are either young or stupid or a combo.

they arent the same situation but i believe fran could have been an *** to ben brust but he wasnt...and i am pretty sure most people knew where he was going when he reneged and im sure there was no improper talk going on there **cough**cough**wink**wink**

you are so butthurt over uthoff leaving yet you claim he would have never seen the floor because he wasnt as good as others...those are contradictory. if he isnt good enough to play for the badgers why would you carry if he left? if you care that he left why would you say you think he isnt worth anything because he must be if you keep talking about it, right? such a contradiction...obviously you are either young or stupid or a combo.

I think Uthoff will be solid. I don't think he'll be "great" though. I don't think he's a program changer by any means but I think he will be fundamental and has skills. I'm upset at the way it went down but there really is not much angst about it these days among wisconsin fans. We're simply too excited about the future with Sam Dekker and George Marshall

they arent the same situation but i believe fran could have been an *** to ben brust but he wasnt...and i am pretty sure most people knew where he was going when he reneged and im sure there was no improper talk going on there **cough**cough**wink**wink**you are so butthurt over uthoff leaving yet you claim he would have never seen the floor because he wasnt as good as others...those are contradictory. if he isnt good enough to play for the badgers why would you carry if he left? if you care that he left why would you say you think he isnt worth anything because he must be if you keep talking about it, right? such a contradiction...obviously you are either young or stupid or a combo.
I think Uthoff will be solid. I don't think he'll be "great" though. I don't think he's a program changer by any means but I think he will be fundamental and has skills. I'm upset at the way it went down but there really is not much angst about it these days among wisconsin fans. We're simply too excited about the future with Sam Dekker and George Marshall

if it really was so shady then go to the ncaa and have them look into it. i am sure they already did with all the publicity that it got. but if you have better players than him then why would you even bring it up considering the brust stuff was kind of shady also. but it never is bad when it benefits your team. ever program breaks some rules...look at the ncaa rule book and it is impossible not to. but nothing was done that is any worse than bo and wisky has done. heck look at the shadiness of your football program with qbs. i wont whine about it because it doesnt change my fandom for iowa...so i dont care where your qb came from, just hope when we play that iowa wins whether this yr or next yr or bball or fball or anything.

Integrity? Does that include using back channels and third parties to convince a 19-year old kid to reneg on his commitment? Fran better hope the real story on how he was connecting to Uthoff doesn't come out.

And what exactly does a 12-24 conference record in 2 years indicate that Iowa is "back?" Iowa's claim to fame is beating Wisconsin twice (Bo Ryan's worst team at UW).

Big difference between using back channels to approach a kid who is on the open market, and using them to get a kid to transfer in the first place, which is how your post reads.

I'm sure Ryan has NEVER done anything similar. Never mind he whole Brust situation, and the fact that basically every school that contacted UW was placed on the restricted list until public pressure forced Bo to relax the restrictions.

It's all about perspective of your program.

I realize your just trying to get a reaction Badger, but the reality is ONLY an Iowa fan would see/sense the progress that has been made.

You were not here when There were discussions on this board 2 years ago about whether Harrison Barnes' high school team could beat Iowa!

You were not there when my father would look at the crowds at Carver and , with genuine sadness, say, "this is sad and pathetic."

You were not there when a bit of optimism would enter our hearts to be met with transfers/ detections of 1 Hawk after another.

Any records and numbers you throw out will not reflect the program apathy and disinterest that had set in with the ranks of Hawkeye fans

Ultimately Fran will be judged on wins and losses, NCAA appearances,etc. However, for now, he is judged moslt by the fans of Iowa as someone who built a foundation for future success.

michael-jordan-laughing.gif