Influx of Transfers New for Iowa

This is not very optimistic if you asked me

"
Ferentz said the offensive line is one of the position groups that needs to take a big step in the spring.

“The more I watch film, especially in the offensive line, it's just hard to duplicate experience, whether it's playing or practicing,” Ferentz said. “I went over the litany of challenges that we faced the last two years probably with that group, and continue to face because we're a little thin right now. I wish we weren't, but we are. From my experience, the only way you get better is going out there, you have to practice it, you have to rep it, just get better at developing your skills, plus physical maturity helps. I still remain very cautiously optimistic. If we can get what we need to get done in reasonable fashion, I think we're going to be just fine.”

translation. right now we have some guys hurt but most of them just are not very good and we have to work really hard to develop them

Last edited:
This is not very optimistic if you asked me

"
Ferentz said the offensive line is one of the position groups that needs to take a big step in the spring.

“The more I watch film, especially in the offensive line, it's just hard to duplicate experience, whether it's playing or practicing,” Ferentz said. “I went over the litany of challenges that we faced the last two years probably with that group, and continue to face because we're a little thin right now. I wish we weren't, but we are. From my experience, the only way you get better is going out there, you have to practice it, you have to rep it, just get better at developing your skills, plus physical maturity helps. I still remain very cautiously optimistic. If we can get what we need to get done in reasonable fashion, I think we're going to be just fine.”

translation. right now we have some guys hurt but most of them just are not very good and we have to work really hard to develop them
I don't read it as they "are not very good." That is not a fair read of what he is saying. That would suggest the talent is lacking and that is not what he is saying at all. He saying they are young and need rep after rep after rep to get to where they need to be. It is a process and they are not there yet.

Think of the 2002 team. Best line in the history of the program. A lot of those same guys were on the line or in the 2 deeps during the first few years when Iowa wasn't winning games, but they had to get bigger, and more experience to gel into something special. It is rare at Iowa for kids to be ready the first year or two on campus. Due to early graduations, misses in recruiting and attrition, a lot of guys have had to play earlier than they probably should have. Some have played out of position trying to solve the RT position that has sucked since Wirfs left.

That said, given who we have coming back, KF is out of excuses. There are a lot of upper classmen with starting experience now. I am sure the line is a work in progress in the Spring and at the beginning of camp, but they better look serviceable by the first game. Put up or shut up time, Coach.

It's been disheartening to see our O-line struggle the last couple years. What was once a strength has now become a glaring weakness. Is it players playing out of position? Youth? Technique? Or is it we are not getting the players we used to?

Maybe it's Barnett? I am struggling find the right answer. Maybe it's all of the above. My hope is they unit gets the reps it needs to form a cohesive unit that allows us to get back to where we need to be to have a respectable offense.

I am trying to be optimistic and have the hope we can only improve, and we have enough returning players that this team could fly under the radar and make this season better than what many believe it will be.

I don't read it as they "are not very good." That is not a fair read of what he is saying. That would suggest the talent is lacking and that is not what he is saying at all. He saying they are young and need rep after rep after rep to get to where they need to be. It is a process and they are not there yet.

Think of the 2002 team. Best line in the history of the program. A lot of those same guys were on the line or in the 2 deeps during the first few years when Iowa wasn't winning games, but they had to get bigger, and more experience to gel into something special. It is rare at Iowa for kids to be ready the first year or two on campus. Due to early graduations, misses in recruiting and attrition, a lot of guys have had to play earlier than they probably should have. Some have played out of position trying to solve the RT position that has sucked since Wirfs left.

That said, given who we have coming back, KF is out of excuses. There are a lot of upper classmen with starting experience now. I am sure the line is a work in progress in the Spring and at the beginning of camp, but they better look serviceable by the first game. Put up or shut up time, Coach.
How can we be "young and inexperienced" every year?

How can we be "young and inexperienced" every year?
Recruiting misses and to a lesser degree injuries. Josh Volk, David Davidkov, Britt, DeJong, Plum, lots of others were going to be game changers back when they were being recruited.

Most of the problems last year were plain old recruiting misses. If guys don’t work out as juniors and seniors you’re going to be perpetually young and inexperienced

Look, Richmond is a junior going into his third year starting at LT and while he has not been dominant, he looks like he could have an NFL future.

Once Colby settled in at LG, he looked good. He was terrible at RT. He has started for parts of 2 years now. Third year in the program

Logan Jones is not the second coming of Lindy and I am not sold on him, but he has been playing the position for less than 2 years now and he has started for an entire year and should be getting better with each practice. He is a junior.

Both Dunker and Stephens have starting experience. I personally like Dunkers physicality, but I hope these two get push from others as well.

Dejong has starting experience and that Parker kid was a stud at Saginaw. Both are Seniors.

This is not a young line. This should be called a veteran group as the season progresses. They are also big boys. With a more mobile and effective QB, I am expecting the OL to go from a weakness to a strength. Hope springs eternal in the spring!

Look, Richmond is a junior going into his third year starting at LT and while he has not been dominant, he looks like he could have an NFL future.

Once Colby settled in at LG, he looked good. He was terrible at RT. He has started for parts of 2 years now. Third year in the program

Logan Jones is not the second coming of Lindy and I am not sold on him, but he has been playing the position for less than 2 years now and he has started for an entire year and should be getting better with each practice. He is a junior.

Both Dunker and Stephens have starting experience. I personally like Dunkers physicality, but I hope these two get push from others as well.

Dejong has starting experience and that Parker kid was a stud at Saginaw. Both are Seniors.

This is not a young line. This should be called a veteran group as the season progresses. They are also big boys. With a more mobile and effective QB, I am expecting the OL to go from a weakness to a strength. Hope springs eternal in the spring!
I noticed that most of the O line members were 300 lb +. Not Logan, but that is typical for centers. I know there were concerns expressed about under sized O line in the past, so glad to see improvement.

I noticed that most of the O line members were 300 lb +. Not Logan, but that is typical for centers. I know there were concerns expressed about under sized O line in the past, so glad to see improvement.
I have a pretty good memory for OL weights, and I am pretty sure those weights are copied and pasted from last year's two deep weights. I would bet good money that they are all a bit thicker than that if you weighed them today. KF's two deeps are not always that accurate as we know.

Logan had some room to fill out. Would like to see him pushing 300 this year.

Our line has been young. Hopefully they step up this year. Otherwise the defense will have to carry them again.

According to the current listed roster dimensions, it appears you can't play offensive line at Iowa if you're not 6'6" and 308lbs...

I have a pretty good memory for OL weights, and I am pretty sure those weights are copied and pasted from last year's two deep weights. I would bet good money that they are all a bit thicker than that if you weighed them today. KF's two deeps are not always that accurate as we know.

Logan had some room to fill out. Would like to see him pushing 300 this year.
I would like that, too. But remember. We demand great agility, mobility, and quickness from our centers.

They also listed Kyler Schott at 6'2" and that guy wasn't even 6'.
I have no clue why schools constantly lie about heights and weights. Iowa is by no means the only school that does it. What purpose? Do they think an opponent will peak at the 2-deep and tremble in fear if a guy is 2 inches taller? Do they think that they can fool NFL draftniks into drafting guys even though every player is put through a thorough inspection and some of the headlines of the combine relate to guys being shorter than what their schools professed. Its just dumb.

Then maybe the coaches don’t overstate player heights ands weights.
I'm not diminishing Schott in any way. btw, I met him a couple times and he was a great dude, awesome with kids, and he was a really, really good lineman for the Hawks.

But he was easily 2" shorter than me and I jokingly gave him grief about it (so has Iowa media). He laughed and said, "Yeah I don't know where they get that stuff..."

It's most likely because they want their team to look bigger on paper. Not a huge deal IMO.

Good! This year our OL will NOT be young and inexperienced.

I'm not diminishing Schott in any way. btw, I met him a couple times and he was a great dude, awesome with kids, and he was a really, really good lineman for the Hawks.

But he was easily 2" shorter than me and I jokingly gave him grief about it (so has Iowa media). He laughed and said, "Yeah I don't know where they get that stuff..."

It's most likely because they want their team to look bigger on paper. Not a huge deal IMO.

The big brain move would be to cut 6-12 inches and 50-100 pounds off of everyone. "Robert Gallery, 5'8", 235 pounds."