Rob Sand Wants Barta Out

I don't think it should matter whether there are separate entities or not. It is really all public money in my opinion and that is the way it should be.
Key is bolded.

It's not the same money. More importantly it's not public money raised with public funds. That money came from TV contracts, donations, and ticket/concession sales. General fund money comes from income tax.

False. The athletic department's funds are not the University's funds. If you can't understand that they're separate entities, I don't know what to tell you. Separate funds, separate revenue sources, separate budgets, separate earmarking. They are not the same thing, and they are not "accountable as such." It's not public money. Regarding you copypaste, public money is in fact used sometimes for athletic projects, but that is held and accounted for separately from Athletic Department funds. Never the twain shall meet.

You should brush up on your public accounting, but I suspect you'll tell me you have extensive experience in accounting up to the level of a CPA but just never bothered with the licensure.
12 semester hours.... I run my own business and do my own taxes. I know enough about accounting to be dangerous :). I know you laugh but what makes me a bit unique is I've had a dual academic and business career path. And I have/do teach farm business at the college level.

Go back to what I said. Technically you are correct.
With the 503c owning a private business, there are rules and regs. Not this simple... but basically the intent of the donor rules and they likely would find that.

In the end it's just wrong and makes a joke out of the public system much like the way university research now is tainted by donors wanting to show desired outcomes as public funding is under pressure from budgets. What used to be unbiased is no longer biased.

The University has technically allowed their trade name to be used as a private corp within the university...all legal, but maybe shouldn't be. Still the university has control over Barta and KF and have hire/fire policies. Some of the policies of the University and Dept of Ed are obviously ignored which is where the gray area is. A public university cannot by regulation ignore violations by their for profit entity held within the 503c.

The private entity of a 503c shouldn't be using funds to bail out bad behavior of employees. Again, when money is taken in, yes it's within the private business, but owned by the 503c so in spirit the 503c owned by the state owns donated funds.

Anyway, Fry and Grandpa Jones :) We'll just agree to not agree and let the IRS/Courts legislators figure it out.
Have a nice day...seriously regardless of the weather and the Hawks. Think they will lose in the first 2 games, but it has been an entertaining year and this year's team is quite likable anyway. Even Fran was more likable.

Barta's contract ends in June of 2024. Don't you just ride it out at this point?

Barta's contract ends in June of 2024. Don't you just ride it out at this point?
It'll be really interesting to see if they pull a Tom Davis on him or extend him... I could see them letting him walk but nothing would surprise me. This new President hasn't been around too long but she's had to be a apart of this last settlement. She has no ties or loyalties to the guy. We'll see.

Gary Barta will leave this job when he is ready. He won't be fired. As much as the fans grumble about him, he is well regarded by the donor class and folks at the school. That said, he has had a long career at Iowa and I would not be surprised if the weight of the legal issues, KF and Fran's reigns likely coming to their natural ends soon, and just the ever changing landscape of college athletics, might lead Gary to take a bow, and exit stage left next year when his contract is up. Everything has its season and the season feels nearly over for Barta at Iowa.

Gary Barta will leave this job when he is ready. He won't be fired. As much as the fans grumble about him, he is well regarded by the donor class and folks at the school. That said, he has had a long career at Iowa and I would not be surprised if the weight of the legal issues, KF and Fran's reigns likely coming to their natural ends soon, and just the ever changing landscape of college athletics, might lead Gary to take a bow, and exit stage left next year when his contract is up. Everything has its season and the season feels nearly over for Barta at Iowa.
My money says GB stays as long as KF is HFC at UI.

I'm guessing he takes a job as a Conf Commish (not Big 3-4 conf) or a NCAA executive position in the next 2-3 years.
I was surprised he is only 59. He looks older. I suspect he has made enough cash that he can retire at Iowa and not start a final career in his 60s. As Fry said, he and KF are likely locked at the hip.

Barta protects Kirk and vise versa. They'll both retire together. Nobody is going to force Barta to leave before he's ready.

Barta protects Kirk and vise versa. They'll both retire together. Nobody is going to force Barta to leave before he's ready.
And despite various conflicting opinions, there are a lot of good reasons for that. I would add that I am amused and at times discouraged with the inability of some to recognize their ignorance of what it takes to serve in high profile positions, especially those very public in nature.

This new president Iowa has had for just a couple yrs now doesn't have any ties or anything to Barta or KF. However since Barta didn't get let go over the latest settlement it seems as though she's not inclined to let him go anytime soon. I'm not sure what it'd take to get him fired at this point but he's got more lives then a cat. Most ADs aren't this lucky. I'm not sure what to think. All I know is I don't want Barta making the next hire for footballs next HC.

This new president Iowa has had for just a couple yrs now doesn't have any ties or anything to Barta or KF. However since Barta didn't get let go over the latest settlement it seems as though she's not inclined to let him go anytime soon. I'm not sure what it'd take to get him fired at this point but he's got more lives then a cat. Most ADs aren't this lucky. I'm not sure what to think. All I know is I don't want Barta making the next hire for footballs next HC.

I work at the university and I never hear anything from her, hardly any emails likes the presidents in the past etc.. I just don't think she is locked into the athletics like many presidents are. It's actually kind of weird. She just doesn't seem to have a big footprint in athletics. Not sure she really gives a flip.

Latest posts